Caterpillar - type unknown

DizzydeeDizzydee Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
edited October 23, 2007 in Holy Macro
I noticed a group of these caterpillars while walking around a lake. I went back the next day spotted another in a different place around the lake and this time I saw butterflies that looked like they could be what the caterpillars will turn into. What do you think of the photo?

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2007
    Think it looks good- the posted image is a bit small - you really need one at least 800 px on the longest side to look at.

Brian V.
  • DizzydeeDizzydee Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited October 20, 2007
    Think it looks good- the posted image is a bit small - you really need one at least 800 px on the longest side to look at.

Brian V.

Thanks, I re-sized it. I was having problems with my upload. Here is what I believe to be the butterfly.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2007
    Dizzydee wrote:
    I noticed a group of these caterpillars while walking around a lake. I went back the next day spotted another in a different place around the lake and this time I saw butterflies that looked like they could be what the caterpillars will turn into. What do you think of the photo?

Hi there Dizzydee ........ hmmmm I went through two books I have on bugs and butterflies but cant find that one headscratch.gif

Hopefully you'll be able to catch another shot of the Butterfly, and hopefully post a larger image, posting 800x600 shots are far easier to look at than smaller shots :D

Thanks for sharing....... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • pete wpete w Registered Users Posts: 386 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2007
    Gulf Fritillary caterpillar.
    :D You can check out this link

http://www.centralfloridagarden.com/images/butterfly/fritillary1.html
    Pete W
    Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again.
    Henri Cartier Bresson

www.pete-wraight.smugmug.com
  • pete wpete w Registered Users Posts: 386 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2007
    This is the butterfly.
    img286.jpg

Not my photo.

Copied from
    http://insects.tamu.edu/fieldguide/cimg286.html
    Pete W
    Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again.
    Henri Cartier Bresson

www.pete-wraight.smugmug.com
  • DizzydeeDizzydee Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited October 20, 2007
    Thank you so much. I now know that they are Gulf Fritillary Caterpillars. I also now know that a flower I saw that same day I thought looked unusual was a Maypop or Passion Flower. It looked like it was one of those alien plant getting ready to infect any nearby fools. Here is the photo I took of it.
  • bsewallbsewall Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited October 23, 2007
    Some Help on Caterpillars
    I was pleased to see that one of the pictures from my web site (www.centralfloriidagarden.com) was posted on this thread. It was a weird site seeing 20 - 30 Gulf Fritillary caterpillars simultaneously munching on the Passion Flower vine in my Butterfly Garden. I couldn't resist taking a picture to record the orgy.
    Here's a picture of a Gulf Fritillary butterfly that likely was once one of the caterpillars in the original picture:
    gulf_fritillary_IMG_1724.jpg
    If you need help in the future identifying caterpillars, there is a great website that does exactly what its name says: http://www.whatsthiscaterpillar.co.uk/america/index.htm.