fall color or colors?

ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
edited October 28, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
My first attempts were about fall. I'm concerned that they might not come off strongly towards either theme, even though I might view them as colorful or even monochromatic. No titles yet. Thoughts?

210515838-L.jpg

210403994-L.jpg
Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography

Comments

• anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2007
    Very nice Elaine. I like the idea of the 2nd one but there are some very harsh lines in that particular photo- between the 2 leaves.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • PaulThomasMcKeePaulThomasMcKee Registered Users Posts: 429 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2007
    Hi Elaine,

To my eye, the first image could be improved by cropping nearly all of the lower part of the stump out - up to the flat top part of the stump (or maybe even a little into the top of the stump). That way the leaves become the focal point, rather than the less interesting face of the stump.

I like the second too, but it is quite abstract with out much of a story (folks here seem to be story oriented).

paul
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2007
    I agree with Paul about cropping the stump shot, but as for story... I've oft used that word, but this seems to be a theme begging for more abstract imagery.
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2007
    Hi Elaine:

Love number 1, with a snip here and a snip there, it is a fabulous shot. Love the contrasting colors and textures you have here....and what a better way to display fall leaves than on the bark of an old stump...

I never really was to much into the "leaf" photos , so maybe that is why number 2 really does grab my eye...

Good luck in whichever you decide.
    Donna
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2007
    Hi Elaine,

Very nice coler here. I also agree with cropping #1, but would also consider selective burning on the leaves on top of the stump to bring them more color. Perhaps even a vignette or darkening the lower right corner.

Best of luck!
    Emily
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2007
    15524779-Ti.gif Crop a little tighter and #1 will be right on. The image image makes me want to grab a sweater and some hot apple cider. Of course it is 80 degrees here so that would probably not be as comfortable as it sounds.
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2007
    Thank you very much for all the feedback! Going to look at a new crop...

EDIT: OK...how 'bout a square crop?

210913540-L.jpg
    Elaine

• pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2007
    Elaine wrote:
    Thank you very much for all the feedback! Going to look at a new crop...

EDIT: OK...how 'bout a square crop?

210913540-L.jpg

Very nice - I can't help but keep wanting all the leaves on the trunk to be in focus though.
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2007
    I like the abstract feel and look of #2.
    Michael
    edited October 21, 2007
    Much better crop!
    Emily

• TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2007
    thumb.gif I like the new crop
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    DaddyO wrote:
    I like the abstract feel and look of #2.

Me too. 15524779-Ti.gif
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    Like the new crop...
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
    edited October 26, 2007
    Alrighty...could I ask for some more feedback please? I know there are a lot of leaf shots already, but I'm a leaf person! The captions are not necessarily titles, just there to help identify.

My options thus far:

1 - the square crop from above in the thread
    210913540-L.jpg

2 - morning sun
    212019691-L.jpg

3 - morning fog
    213077986-L.jpg

4 - foggy blanket
    213078226-L.jpg

5 - tree leather
    213253921-L-1.jpg
    Elaine

edited October 26, 2007
    Wow, all of these are nice! But if I had to vote for one I think it would be "Morning Sun". The backlit leaves on the tree are beautiful. thumb.gif
    edited October 26, 2007
    richtersl wrote:
    Wow, all of these are nice! But if I had to vote for one I think it would be "Morning Sun". The backlit leaves on the tree are beautiful. thumb.gif

Thanks, Linda! I'm curious...do you find this shot to be a good representation of colorful or monochromatic? I tend to think of all but #4 as rather monochromatic, but I'm wondering if others would only think of fall colors (plural) as trying to represent colorful and then find these shots not colorful enough. ne_nau.gif Does that make any sense? Anyway, I'm trying not to overthink this, but I may be leaning towards #5 as the strongest theme related photo (monochromatic).
    Elaine

• peterst6906peterst6906 Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2007
    Yeah, I'm a morning sun kind of guy, but usually I'm also a bit on the morning fog side (on weekends anyway)...eek7.gif

So, I like both of those shots, with morning sun just taking it out.

I hope that helps, but not too sure that my post is even understandable.

Regards,

Peter
    It's not my camera's fault, I'm just visually illiterate
    edited October 27, 2007
    Morning sun is a gorgeous shot and struck me instantly. It is not as strong on theme as some others, because the colors are more subtle, but it simply beautiful.

Emily
    Emily

• eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2007
    15524779-Ti.gif These are beautiful shots. #1 and 5 are the most 'on-theme' for me.
    E
    edited October 27, 2007
    Elaine wrote:
    Thanks, Linda! I'm curious...do you find this shot to be a good representation of colorful or monochromatic? I tend to think of all but #4 as rather monochromatic, but I'm wondering if others would only think of fall colors (plural) as trying to represent colorful and then find these shots not colorful enough. ne_nau.gif Does that make any sense? Anyway, I'm trying not to overthink this, but I may be leaning towards #5 as the strongest theme related photo (monochromatic).

If I were judging this LPS, I'd say Morning Sun was colorful. mwink.gif
    edited October 27, 2007
    Thanks, again, everyone! I've decided to go with the morning sun shot, except I called it morning gold. I'm hoping that title doesn't cause confusion or limit the photo somehow. (Is naming a color in the title just as bad as using the words colorful or monochromatic in the title? Hmmm...)
    Elaine

• peterst6906peterst6906 Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2007
    Elaine wrote:
    Is naming a color in the title just as bad as using the words colorful or monochromatic in the title? Hmmm...

I don't think so, but I'm not judging. But really, I don't think a judge would have a problem with it. It's a direct association to the scene, but doesn't say "colorful" which would be bad.

If you were really worried about it then you could change the title to something like "24 carat nature" or something else that implied gold without saying the color.

Regards,

Peter
    It's not my camera's fault, I'm just visually illiterate
  • indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2007
    Stunning!

Jesse