Drag and Drop uploader not working with FF & Vista?

presencepresence Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
edited November 2, 2007 in SmugMug Support
The 'drag and drop' java uploader seems to have stopped working for me with Firefox and Vista Home. It seems to have been ok until the recent FF upgrade to 2.0.0.8. Have anyone else had this experience? And suggestions for fixing it?

-- It works with MS Internet Explorer + Vista
-- I manually re-installed the Java JRE program. And followed their 'fix-it' instructions, to no avail.
-- It works on my laptop (XP & FF 2.0.0.7)

I know there's alternatives to 'drag and drop' but I quite like it!

TIA

Comments

• presencepresence Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited October 20, 2007
    Quick update. My laptop just updated FF to 2.0.0.8 and the uploader works. So the java problem seems to be a vista or FF problem rather than a Smugmug problem.

Oh well. Back to the Internet for answers.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2007
    The olde "Green Smuggy" drag and drop is not as reliable or robust as our new "Simple" uploader, and I really encourage you to try that Simple one thumb.gif Let us know?
    edited October 20, 2007
    Thanks for the quick reply.

Same thing, I'm afraid... Works in IE but FF gives me a black blank input area. It's ok though because it's my computer (i.e., my problem) rather than Smugmug's problem.

TBH, it's very likely to be a vista thing (& don't get me started on Wacom pen tablets!!)

Have a nice weekend.

(edit) P.S. I'm back on my main computer & not the laptop.
    edited November 2, 2007
    Quick update -->

Looks like firefox may have been to blame...

From Firefox 2.0.0.9 update notes
    • Bug 400467 - Windows Vista users will get “Java not found” or “Java not working” errors when trying to load Java applets after updating. To fix this, users can right-click the Firefox icon and “Run as administrator”, then browse to a page with a Java applet — doing this once will fix the problem and permanently restore Java functionality.
    Updating to FF 2.0.0.9 and doing this fixed the problem for me