LPS#15: Yeah or nay?

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited October 21, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Well, I saw this absolultely "as is" (i.e. I didn't stage it, it's simply a capture of the real thing) and it kinda hit me hard, so not only I took this image, but also decided to run with it.

However, I'm torn between two quite different approaches.
As you can see, a little crop changes the meaning 180 degrees. :deal
Life *is* weird... :dunno

#1: Protecting the faith:

210593988-O.jpg

#2: Life, Faith and Death:

210594029-O.jpg

#1 is my current entry.

What do you think?
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2007
    Nikolai, I honestly love virtually every image that you produce but this one... I don't know... it just doesn't hit with the theme for me.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2007
    Travis wrote:
    Nikolai, I honestly love virtually every image that you produce but this one... I don't know... it just doesn't hit with the theme for me.
    Travis,
    thank you, appreciate the honesty!

Now, if you don't mind my asking: forget the themes deal.gif , which one makes you think more (if at all)? ne_nau.gif
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2007
    Hey Nik, # 1 speaks "massive volume" to me (no pun intended mwink.gif )
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2007
    #1 Nik.
    edited October 20, 2007
    Tentacion wrote:
    Hey Nik, # 1 speaks "massive volume" to me (no pun intended mwink.gif )
    Thank you! thumb.gif
    But why? headscratch.gifeek7.gif
    edited October 20, 2007
    Travis wrote:
    #1 Nik.
    Thanks, man! thumb.gif
    edited October 20, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Thank you! thumb.gif
    But why? headscratch.gifeek7.gif

It speaks to me...that the person is a Fanatic or perhaps a Hypocrite...you can take it either way....

In once sense the bible says we should be one way, and you can see the person has religious teachings as we see multiple volumes religious readings, but on the other hand..there is a weapon of destruction that is known for killing or defending....but the gun is in a tight boxed area sort to speak, ...the person could be torn with his thoughts and is keeping a tight lid on it, so the gun is wedged in to keep from being able to use it easily??

Lots more I read into this composition....I hope I was able to type what my minds eye was seeing...

Donna
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
    edited October 20, 2007
    Tentacion wrote:
    It speaks to me...that the person is a Fanatic or perhaps a Hypocrite...you can take it either way....

In once sense the bible says we should be one way, and you can see the person has religious teachings as we see multiple volumes religious readings, but on the other hand..there is a weapon of destruction that is known for killing or defending....but the gun is in a tight boxed area sort to speak, ...the person could be torn with his thoughts and is keeping a tight lid on it, so the gun is wedged in to keep from being able to use it easily??

Lots more I read into this composition....I hope I was able to type what my minds eye was seeing...

Donna

Donna,
    fair enough, I do appreciate your time and thoughts! thumb.gif
  • VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2007
    Number one makes me think I might see something like this on David Koresh's shelf, the Branch Davidean leader who was killed along with a bunch of his followers in the ATF Wako Texas incident... Not a main stream Christian belief that we protect our faith with lethal force... So definately an emotional shot, it isn't monochromatic though and not very colorful...

2 on the other hand is great with the Russian nested doll thing and the entire cross visible... I would just add one word to the title "death"

colors of life, the doll, colors of faith the black and white bibles, color of death, red dot on your gun, which signifies the safety is off...:D

Good luck
    Winston
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2007
    Well, my first reaction was that I think you picked the right one. Visually, adding the colorful Russian doll dilutes the immediate impact - it lends a sort of discordant note. Which is why now I'm not sure. As I continue to look at both pictures I find that #2 draws me in emotionally in a way that #1 does not. It may have two instead of one focal points (maybe even three with the cross) and the light reflection on the doll is distracting (and presumably fixable), the overall composition makes me think and wonder. About Elena, about the cheerful Russian doll, about why a gun in the context of scriptures, and the interaction between all of these elements. The more I think about it, the more powerful the impact of #2 on me. I think I just talked myself into #2.

Virginia

Email
    edited October 20, 2007
    color of death, red dot on your gun, which signifies the safety is off...:D

Good luck
    Winston

I'll remember this next time I see a gun...look for the red dot....Laughing.gif I don't know nuttun about guns..Laughing.gif
    edited October 20, 2007
    Number one makes me think I might see something like this on David Koresh's shelf, the Branch Davidean leader who was killed along with a bunch of his followers in the ATF Wako Texas incident... Not a main stream Christian belief that we protect our faith with lethal force... So definately an emotional shot, it isn't monochromatic though and not very colorful...

2 on the other hand is great with the Russian nested doll thing and the entire cross visible... I would just add one word to the title "death"

colors of life, the doll, colors of faith the black and white bibles, color of death, red dot on your gun, which signifies the safety is off...:D

Good luck
    Winston

Winston,
    great idea with the second caption, changed it! thumb.gif
    Thank you very much for your thoughts!
    edited October 20, 2007
    Tentacion wrote:
    I'll remember this next time I see a gun...look for the red dot....Laughing.gif I don't know nuttun about guns..Laughing.gif

That's how I was taught... "when you see red your dead" so red means dead...rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Winston
    edited October 20, 2007
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Well, my first reaction was that I think you picked the right one. Visually, adding the colorful Russian doll dilutes the immediate impact - it lends a sort of discordant note. Which is why now I'm not sure. As I continue to look at both pictures I find that #2 draws me in emotionally in a way that #1 does not. It may have two instead of one focal points (maybe even three with the cross) and the light reflection on the doll is distracting (and presumably fixable), the overall composition makes me think and wonder. About Elena, about the cheerful Russian doll, about why a gun in the context of scriptures, and the interaction between all of these elements. The more I think about it, the more powerful the impact of #2 on me. I think I just talked myself into #2.

Virginia

Virginia,
    thank you very much for your time!
    Appreciate your feedback, as always! thumb.gif
    edited October 20, 2007
    That's how I was taught... "when you see red your dead" so red means dead...rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Winston

FWIW, safety was OFF, and I signified in post on purpose mwink.gif
    edited October 20, 2007
    great idea witht he second caption, changed it! thumb.gif
    Thank you very much for your thoughts!
    [/QUOTE]

Glad I could help, any time... One question, you said this wasn't contrived, and I believe you... I just hope this isn't how you normally store your gun??? eek7.gif
    edited October 20, 2007
    Glad I could help, any time... One question, you said this wasn't contrived, and I believe you... I just hope this isn't how you normally store your gun??? eek7.gif

It's an airsoft thingie, shoots plastic pellets rolleyes1.gif
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2007
    I rather like #1
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
    edited October 20, 2007
    I rather like #1
    Thanks man!
  • pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2007
    Nik,

Number 2 gets me thinking the most, especially about the Russian doll and the gun - Russian roulette etc. There seems to be something quite sinister about it.

Number 1 just makes me go huhhh? ne_nau.gif

Both of the images make me think - what an interesting chap you must be rolleyes1.gif

Cheers / Peter
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course
    edited October 21, 2007
    pemmett wrote:
    Nik,

Number 2 gets me thinking the most, especially about the Russian doll and the gun - Russian roulette etc. There seems to be something quite sinister about it.

Number 1 just makes me go huhhh? ne_nau.gif

Both of the images make me think - what an interesting chap you must be rolleyes1.gif

Cheers / Peter

Peter, thank you! thumb.gif
    And if you go to Arches next year you will definitely find if your last question holds any water lol3.gif
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2007
    Both of these images get me thinking Nik! Just shows how much a difference in cropping/composing can do. I have to admit I was initially put off because I am very uncomfortable around guns. There is so much to look at in the 2nd shot, I find something new each time I view. But, for myself, the doll is very distracting in an annoying kind of way. I guess it represents the (strong) "color" part of the theme in this one. I'm not sold on the theme for the first one. It doesn't really come across as monochromatic to me and then there is that really red dot....but it is such an intriguing shot that the judges may just go for it! I would love to see the shot fall somewhere inbetween....without the doll mainly. I love the cross and then there's all those interesting books...like one on the left with skull on the binding!!!! rolleyes1.gif All-in-all, very interesting, strong and graphic shots that (for me) are a bit soft in theme.
    edited October 21, 2007
    Susan,
    saurora wrote:
    Both of these images get me thinking Nik! Just shows how much a difference in cropping/composing can do. I have to admit I was initially put off because I am very uncomfortable around guns. There is so much to look at in the 2nd shot, I find something new each time I view. But, for myself, the doll is very distracting in an annoying kind of way. I guess it represents the (strong) "color" part of the theme in this one. I'm not sold on the theme for the first one. It doesn't really come across as monochromatic to me and then there is that really red dot....but it is such an intriguing shot that the judges may just go for it! I would love to see the shot fall somewhere inbetween....without the doll mainly. I love the cross and then there's all those interesting books...like one on the left with skull on the binding!!!! rolleyes1.gif All-in-all, very interesting, strong and graphic shots that (for me) are a bit soft in theme.
    Thank you for your detailed comments! iloveyou.gif
    I realize it's not very strong theme contender, but I keep thinking it carries enough of the controversy to be considered seriously.
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Thank you for your detailed comments! iloveyou.gif
    I realize it's not very strong theme contender, but I keep thinking it carries enough of the controversy to be considered seriously.

I agree that it is strong enough to be considered! thumb.gif
  • sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2007
    Plastic pellets or real bullets,
    I find it interesting how an image of a gun can stir so much emotion in each of us.

I agree with you Nikolia, that this has enough thought and content to be considered seriously, it is an interesting interpretation of the theme.

The above is in reference to #1

#2 loses something.
    edited October 21, 2007
    sherstone wrote:
    Plastic pellets or real bullets,
    I find it interesting how an image of a gun can stir so much emotion in each of us.

I agree with you Nikolia, that this has enough thought and content to be considered seriously, it is an interesting interpretation of the theme.

The above is in reference to #1

#2 loses something.

Sean, thank you!
    #2 adds a third element. It can be considered as adding a third dimension, or as dilluting the first two ne_nau.gif
  • sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    ... dilluting the first two ne_nau.gif

exactly!