Colorful Yes, But Not Much Else

MarkToddMarkTodd Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
edited October 28, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Well, this is colorful, but it doesn't really have any story or context or anything else interesting about it. It's an odd little rubber ball thing that was sitting on my desk at work. I need to keep thinking and looking around.

210599043-L.jpg

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2007
    MarkTodd wrote:
    Well, this is colorful, but it doesn't really have any story or context or anything else interesting about it. It's an odd little rubber ball thing that was sitting on my desk at work. I need to keep thinking and looking around.
    I like it, it's very colorful.
    Why don't you try different lighting effects? Like a backlight? headscratch.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • MarkToddMarkTodd Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    I like it, it's very colorful.
    Why don't you try different lighting effects? Like a backlight? headscratch.gif

Thank you. That's one of the things I'm going to try. I do have a couple ideas which are all going to be a bit abstract, but hopefully with a little more visual interest.
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2007
    Your entry looks good. Best of luck!
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

edited October 21, 2007
    Thank you! I took another shot, but I'm not sure if it really adds or takes away.

210712614-L.jpg
  • staypuffinpcstaypuffinpc Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited October 21, 2007
    too much
    for me, it takes away. I liked your first image and I thought that what might improve it is shooting it on top of a black, reflective surface. If you don't have any cool black plexiglass hanging around, you might try shooting it on top of a black filing cabinet.

Just my two cents. Good luck.
    {something witty here}
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2007
    I actually like this background better, but I have a couple of suggestions for a more dyniamic shot. Either try an abstract crop on it and/or try backlighting it to give it more of a glow. You may want to increase the dof slightly too.

Emily
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

edited October 22, 2007
    As suggested, another attempt with internal lighting. I think I like it!

211339017-L.jpg
  • PaulThomasMcKeePaulThomasMcKee Registered Users Posts: 429 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    MarkTodd wrote:
    As suggested, another attempt with internal lighting. I think I like it!

Huge improvement! I like it too. Very cool.
  • FeliciaFelicia Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    Huge improvement! I like it too. Very cool.
    15524779-Ti.gif
    "Just because no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist."

www.feliciabphotography.com
  • peterst6906peterst6906 Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    I also think that the last version is a huge improvement on the first and second attempt, but...

at the same time, I think your title for this thread is still appropriate and the image needs some more work.

To me, this fits the colorful theme, but it is a safe shot that doesn't really say anything. It doesn't callenge me to think about it and just a glance gives me complete understanding of the image.

As a result, I think it will be forgotten when placed in the competition against images that have more of a message or story, or which evoke a feeling.

So, I wouldn't give up on the idea, but I would keep working the theme. For example, what is this thing used for? If it's some sort of toy, then I would introduce a human element (even a hand tossing it in the air) to add an additional dimension to the theme and try to connect the object and it's color to a feeling of joy/happiness/youth, etc. I think that would make for a stronger image.

I hope that is useful, but I certainly don't claim to be the holder of any particular insight. I could be totally off the mark in comparison to the majority.

Regards,

Peter
    It's not my camera's fault, I'm just visually illiterate
    edited October 22, 2007
    I also think that the last version is a huge improvement on the first and second attempt, but...

at the same time, I think your title for this thread is still appropriate and the image needs some more work.

To me, this fits the colorful theme, but it is a safe shot that doesn't really say anything. It doesn't callenge me to think about it and just a glance gives me complete understanding of the image.

As a result, I think it will be forgotten when placed in the competition against images that have more of a message or story, or which evoke a feeling.

So, I wouldn't give up on the idea, but I would keep working the theme. For example, what is this thing used for? If it's some sort of toy, then I would introduce a human element (even a hand tossing it in the air) to add an additional dimension to the theme and try to connect the object and it's color to a feeling of joy/happiness/youth, etc. I think that would make for a stronger image.

I hope that is useful, but I certainly don't claim to be the holder of any particular insight. I could be totally off the mark in comparison to the majority.

Regards,

Peter

Your point is certainly well taken as I agree it tells no story. If I can somehow use this object and add something more to it I'll work it in there.

The problem with this thing is that it's so small I'm not sure that I could take it and add much else that isn't abstract while retaining any visual interest in the object itself. It's about an inch and a half in diameter. It's definitely a challenge I'm trying to overcome.

On the plus side, I've been around here for a few competitions now and I have seen winning entries that did nothing more than fit the theme. That's not to say they weren't wonderful images and very well executed, but at the end of the day, they were just studies within the parameter of the competition and didn't necessarily tell a story or evoke an emotional response.
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    I agree with Paul and Felicia about the last version. Have you tried different crops with that version? mwink.gif
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    I agree with Peter. It needs some type of dynamic tension. I know this will make some of the photography purists cringe :D, but I really see a cool image growing out of this one by merging several different images of the object in various states that would look like it is raining colorful rubber thingies. Of course it is Monday morning and my brain is still getting over the routine shock of being back in an environment that disallows creativity. Laughing.gif
    edited October 22, 2007
    I've thought of an idea to put this object into a setting. Now, we'll have to see if I can execute it....
    edited October 23, 2007
    I just went back and looked at the finalists for LPS #14. Most of them were simple, close-up studies of objects that were smooth or craggy. They told no story or evicted any emotional response. My current entry fulfills the same function for the colorful theme. I'm on the fence whether or not to continue adding stuff to it. ne_nau.gif Would be nice to get some official feedback from the previous round. I tried getting creative the last time and, while I did show up on the radar for the first time, I still didn't place.
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    Keep in mind that every round has a new set of judges and there is no telling whether or not they would find story or a study more appealling. There is a huge photography market out there for product shots against white backgrounds that tell no story. If one of the judges happens to specialize in this area, then that judge may be partial to similar well-executed shots. What I have noticed in most winning shots is that there exists some form of dynamic tension. I'm sure this isn't much help... headscratch.gif
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    Oh yes! Love the new lighting.

Virginia

Email
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    New version is much better. thumb.gif I wonder if you can add "dynamic tension" through a different crop, as suggested earlier, instead of adding more elements of a story. Two I'd be curious to see: close-up without any of the black around the edges, half to one-quarter of one side or the other chopped off. ne_nau.gif
    edited October 24, 2007
    I'll try a couple different crops and see how they look. Here's a rough-up of an idea I had for it I'd title "Splitting an Atom". Obviously, I'm going to need a much sharper image of the knife.

212502709-L.jpg
    edited October 25, 2007
    I bet everyone here has worked on an image they just can't seem to get to their liking. This is mine. I keep going back to the simple glowing ball. This is my latest attempt.

212675198-XL.jpg
    edited October 25, 2007
    Ugh, Enough Already
    This is what I'm going with...

212707297-L.jpg
    edited October 25, 2007
    I like that last one Mark and I think the breaking the atom is a good idea as well (but the last one works the best for me).

I think in comparison to the original image, this is much stronger as an image and entry.

With a couple of days left, if there's anything I'd consider doing, it would be to add some motion blur to make it look like they are falling, but that's just me. It might not look good to others.

Regards,

Peter
  • RockportersRockporters Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2007
    I like all of your attempts with just the colorful ball. Anything else adds too much distraction imo. The last one is good, too, though I prefer the lighting from underneath.
    Beth

Nikon D300
    Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8
    Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6
    Nikon 50mm f/1.8D

[SIZE=-3]Mary Beth Glasmann Photography[/SIZE]
    edited October 26, 2007
    I've tweaked my image just a little. I decided to refrain from adding motion trails because when I've shown the image to people they have interpreted the motion in different ways and I don't want to force people to think the balls are going in a particular direction. For example, the most popular interpretation is that this image is one ball captured at different stages within a bounce.

I want to that you all for continually pushing me to make my image better. This community is pretty awesome that way!

Here's my newest "final" version:

213042591-L.jpg
  • PaulThomasMcKeePaulThomasMcKee Registered Users Posts: 429 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2007
    It's just amazing where you have taken this concept from the 1st image in this thread! Very cool.

I like that you cleaned up the rightmost edge of the foreground ball and I like the new position of the background ball. Also, I see where you are headed with the progressive blur on the mid and background balls.

However, FWIW & IMHO (& whatever other qualifying initials are appropriate), I prefer the lighting and focus of the mid and background balls in the penultimate version. I think the graduated brightness conveys the sense of depth as effectively as the progressive focus.

So, I'd keep the current positions; restore the previous focus of the mid ball; slightly dim the back ball (or perhaps slightly brighten the mid ball); and keep the fixes to the fore ball.

Or just ignore my insomniatic rant because it's really cool either way.

paul
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2007
    You have made something intriguingly dynamic out of an image that started out to be static. Nice work. bowdown.gif

Virginia

Email
    edited October 26, 2007
    Like with Paul,

I think it's been a big transition (and good to watch the development) from the first image to this last one. In my opinion, this last version is streets ahead of the original concept and I can see the multi-strobe capture during a bounce that you mentioned.

I like the shallow DOF effect and that only the front ball is in sharp focus. For me, that adds to the bounce like effect.

It's not an image that absolutely knocks my socks off, but since the aim at this point is to make it into the top 10, I think you've produced a final result that stands a chance.

Regards,

Peter
  • FeliciaFelicia Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2007
    Mark, It's been really inspiring watching your work on this concept. Thanks for sharing the journey with us! And FWIW, I REALLY liked your Craggy or Smooth food composite. Awesome creativity!
    "Just because no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist."

www.feliciabphotography.com
  • indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2007
    What an evolution! Nice work and thanks for sharing the process with us. Well done.