An attempt at a rainbow

greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
edited October 21, 2007 in Landscapes
So I'm out on the Washington coast this weekend near the tiny town of Pacific Beach (the town in the picture). Its a bit risky to be on the coast in Washington in October because the weather can be quite bad (but rental prices are a lot cheaper). So the weather has been rain switching to sun and back to rain all day. What this does for photo ops is plenty of great rainbows. So my question to all of you out there, what is the trick for getting a picture of a rainbow? Polarizer? Overexpose or Underexpose? Graduated ND filter? Any advice would be appreciated.

So here is what I've pulled off so far (using a polarizer)...

210605488-L.jpg
Andrew
initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange

Comments

• cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2007
    try pumping up the saturation maybe the hue... its worth a shot
  • greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2007
    cmason wrote:
    try pumping up the saturation maybe the hue... its worth a shot

I pushed it just a touch and that helped a bit. But I'm wondering if there are any in camera tricks.
    Andrew

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Grizzle6Grizzle6 Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2007
    I've found in the past that a polarizer, depending on how you dial it in, can kill the rainbow. Next time either try it without, or mess around with different levels of polarization.
    It's all ball bearings these days...

www.adambarkerphotography.com
  • greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2007
    Grizzle6 wrote:
    I've found in the past that a polarizer, depending on how you dial it in, can kill the rainbow. Next time either try it without, or mess around with different levels of polarization.

The rainbow was changing fast, at first I tried w/o a polarizer, and as best as I could tell on a 2.5" LCD in full daylight was that I got nothing. Then I put the polarizer on and found that as I dialed it would change the colors of the rainbow (or at least which colors were most prominent). If I dialed all the way, the rainbow would disapear.
    Andrew