Help Pick a Calibrator

BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
edited October 26, 2007 in Digital Darkroom
Howdy All-

I have read Andy's review of the Huey. I have done a search on the calibrator options and it still makes my head hurt. So I figured I would ask what you would recommend for me...
  • I am an amateur and this is a hobby
  • I am currently using a 15" MacBook Pro with the Matte Screen
  • Occasionally I will hook up a second LCD screen (Gateway FP screen)
  • I am using Lightroom and CS3.
  • I am using a point and shoot while I am trying to determine what DSLR to purchase. I have about 10K shots on my P&S so I figure it is about time to replace it anyway.
  • I want to get a consistent image
  • I want to keep it under $250

So based on that I think it is down to the Huey, Huey Pro, Spyder2 and Eye-One but I am trying to figure out the differences, pluses and minus etc.

Thanks for the help!
-=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact

Comments

• ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2007
    Occasionally I will hook up a second LCD screen (Gateway FP screen)
    So based on that I think it is down to the Huey, Huey Pro, Spyder2 and Eye-One but I am trying to figure out the differences, pluses and minus etc.

Thanks for the help!

I haven't used the Spyder2 or Eye-One, but if you want to hook up a second monitor, you have to get the Huey Pro; the basic Huey won't cut it.

I've been happy with my Huey Pro... fairly inexpensive and works well across multiple monitors. My only gripe is that instructions for the initial calibration were confusing (seeing circle arcs, setting brightness/contrast...).
    Chris
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    Huey
    Current Shutterbug Mag has a review of the Huey Pro.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    Thanks for the info..
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • BurtRBurtR Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited October 23, 2007
    New from Datacolor
    I've been reviewing all of the devices out but I'm just waiting to read reviews on the new Spyder3Elite being released on 10/26.:D

http://www.colorvision.com/index_us.php

Burt
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    I went with the Huey Pro, and it just got here today, so it's still in the box. I just went with the reviews in the new Popular Photography. I guess I'll soon find out whether I made a mistake or not.
    Growing with Dgrin

• IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2007
    So . . .???????????
    leaforte wrote:
    I went with the Huey Pro, and it just got here today, so it's still in the box. I just went with the reviews in the new Popular Photography. I guess I'll soon find out whether I made a mistake or not.

What's the word, Dude? Don't tell us you've had the Huey for two days and haven't played with it yet?
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2007
    Icebear wrote:
    What's the word, Dude? Don't tell us you've had the Huey for two days and haven't played with it yet?
    I guess I forgot to mention the IR filter that came with the same delivery! Been checking it out. Honestly; I have a new media monitor, a gateway HD TFT LCD monitor, not spendy, but fair, and my photos have most always been on track with the prints. Your all's photos look great on my new monitor! I've designated tommorrow to the huey, and after looking through the "Quick Start Guide" (ha!) looks like I'll be busy. I am a complete beginer at monitor calibration.
    Growing with Dgrin