Okay, let me have it....

TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
edited October 22, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
What I love about LPS is that it gets me off my lazy butt and out shooting images that I normally wouldn't. I mean, what sane person would get up at 4 a.m. to take photos of a pier in the dark??? :dunno What I hate is the selecting the entry part. So this round I'm on my knees pleading for help :roflComments, criticisms, full on body slams are greatly appreciated!

1. Sliders
210957740-M-3.jpg

2. Saturday Morning Blues
210549234-L.jpg

3. Early Morning Glass
210549353-L.jpg

4. The Neon Roost
210549069-L.jpg

Thanks y'all.

Comments

• peterst6906peterst6906 Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2007
    I like the last one Travis.

For an architecture abstract, the lines are really good and the colors work well as far as my taste goes.

The first is OK, but needs a bit more pop for me and of the pier shots, the third shot is better than the second.

Of the four thought, the last is my pick.

Regards,

Peter
    It's not my camera's fault, I'm just visually illiterate
  • pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2007
    I love them all, but if I were to choose I would go with the last one. I love the colours and abstract feel of it - Excellent.
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course
  • MarkToddMarkTodd Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2007
    I really enjoy the bottom half of your sliders shot. The glowing base of the escalators catches my eye, but as they lead you up to the top all the structure up there seems confusing to my eye. I tried cropping the bottom portion in landscape and what was left was these great glowing escalators (love the blur of the motion) leading up to some mysterious destination in the viewer's mind.
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2007
    :D My pennies worth...Laughing.gif

Love them all, but I can see where Mark is coming from...cropping down from the top a bit, does give it a "mystery" feeling...perhaps cropping in the from the sides a bit...cuz I love the mystery feeling along with that sign.."Meeting Suites" (Laughing.gif it is always a mystery who your going to meet mwink.gif)

On the pier shots, my eye is drawn to second one more, it has a bit more texture for me, contrast of colors, and detail.

The buildings what draws my eye most is the color perspective here and nice angle...although I would clone out that white vent on the blue, it just breaks up the tile effect for me.

Ok so where do I go from here....Sheesh hard to say...but I would say the first one...because the composition is different and like Mark, I really like that glow.

They are reallyl GREAT Shots...get off your knees now JT...Laughing.gifLaughing.gif

As far as the entry decision...I feel ya, cuz I'm there!!
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2007
    Last one, definitely! thumb.gif

I would only clone out that lighting fixture on the blue house...deal.gif

PS
    I guess somebody liked my copyright layout idea mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2007
    what sane person would get up at 4 a.m. to take photos of a pier in the dark??? ne_nau.gif

ME! :D

#1 & #4 Speak to me the loudest. It was only on my second look at #1
    that I noticed the blur of the stairs. Nice touch!
    Michael
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2007
    Thanks for the input y'all. I'm going to play around with them a bit but once again it looks like my opinion differed from the popular majority. Laughing.gif I almost didn't include #4 in the group. How's this for #1...

210957740-L.jpg

Yep Nik, I borrowed your copyright idea. :D
  • MarkToddMarkTodd Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2007
    Travis wrote:
    Thanks for the input y'all. I'm going to play around with them a bit but once again it looks like my opinion differed from the popular majority. Laughing.gif I almost didn't include #4 in the group.

Can one copyright a copyright layout? mwink.gif
    edited October 21, 2007
    MarkTodd wrote:
    Can one copyright a copyright layout? mwink.gif

LMAO...I hope I don't owe Nikolai royalties.......
    edited October 21, 2007
    Travis wrote:
    LMAO...I hope I don't owe Nikolai royalties.......
    Just a couple of beer.gif, man, just a couple of beer.gifmwink.gif
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2007
    Travis wrote:
    Thanks for the input y'all. I'm going to play around with them a bit but once again it looks like my opinion differed from the popular majority. Laughing.gif I almost didn't include #4 in the group. How's this for #1...

210957740-L.jpg

I like this, if you bring in the crop from the sides a bit...it brings my eye right in and up.
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2007
    Wow, 4 great shots!

For the challenge I would say #1, but crop even more out and get rid of the signs on the left. Either that or #4, which is great.
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2007
    Hmmmm.....I love your 2nd version of #1 and #4. I'm leaning towards #4. I have to ask though..........are those buildings actually lime green???? rolleyes1.gif
    edited October 21, 2007
    saurora wrote:
    Hmmmm.....I love your 2nd version of #1 and #4. I'm leaning towards #4. I have to ask though..........are those buildings actually lime green???? rolleyes1.gif
    Yea, and unbelievably expensive. 3 bedroom condos $750,000 and its built on a sandbar!!!!

210548914-L.jpg

Must be nice to live the life of luxury. rolleyes1.gif
  • ShudderzShudderz Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2007
    Travis wrote:

210957740-L.jpg

I like this one.....maybe like some of the others have suggested a slight crop on each side. I would see about cloning out the "meeting room" and "A & B" signs on the left. To me it's quite distracting. With the white background behind the sign, it should be a piece of cake to make disappear.
    Heather
    www.heatherdunnphotography.com
    My Blog My Facebook Page
    GIVING BACK - How will you give?
    "I look at life outside of the lens and capture the world through it." -Thomas Robinson
    edited October 21, 2007
    Cropped, Cropped, patched and cropped
    Wow, awesome input y'all! This image went from complex to fairly simple. Laughing.gif But here it is all cleaned up. Thanks again!

210957740-L-2.jpg
  • ShudderzShudderz Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2007
    Travis wrote:
    This image went from complex to fairly simple
    Yes...but look at the differenceclap.gif
    Travis wrote:

210549155-L.jpg

210957740-L-2.jpg
    Heather
    www.heatherdunnphotography.com
    My Blog My Facebook Page
    GIVING BACK - How will you give?
    "I look at life outside of the lens and capture the world through it." -Thomas Robinson
    edited October 21, 2007
    Travis wrote:
    Wow, awesome input y'all! This image went from complex to fairly simple. Laughing.gif But here it is all cleaned up. Thanks again!
    Travis,
    it still looks a tad skewed. Free Transform to the rescue!
  • kenlynekenlyne Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited October 21, 2007
    Fantastic shots--all four! I love the 1st one (cleaned up)--if you were to go with color, #4 but again, they're all great! How nice when you have to narrow down to what you like best! clap.gif
  • binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2007
    i think the escalator picture is amazing, but i don't think it is as appropriate for this challenge as your #4 is. i saw those bright colors and felt intimidated, as i don't think i will have an entry as strong as that one. the colors are fantastic and i really like the angle thumb.gif
    edited October 21, 2007
  • Izzy GaravitoIzzy Garavito Registered Users Posts: 228 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2007
    Quick question (and I realize this is a bit off topic, but I'm new): How do you get the blues and the colors of pics 2 and 3?

And I love the last pic

Izzy
    edited October 21, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:

Yea, I thought of that. I had the same issue last round with a photo of guitar that I was going to enter only to pull it due to a similar image being entered in round 6. I guess it begs the question - are we competing in this round or against all the previous ones? I figure that I have a week to figure it out and make a final decision. Thanks for the advice.
    edited October 21, 2007
    Quick question (and I realize this is a bit off topic, but I'm new): How do you get the blues and the colors of pics 2 and 3?

And I love the last pic

Izzy

Hey Izzy, #2 was taken in the dark with a 30 second exposure and #3 with a 8 second exposure. I set the white balance to tungsten and then warmed it up a little bit in post. The combination of long exposures and WB settings create some interesting effects. :D
    edited October 21, 2007
    binghott wrote:
    i think the escalator picture is amazing, but i don't think it is as appropriate for this challenge as your #4 is. i saw those bright colors and felt intimidated, as i don't think i will have an entry as strong as that one. the colors are fantastic and i really like the angle thumb.gif

Thanks Bing. After several rounds here, I'm not sure that I know what is actually appropriate. rolleyes1.gif
    edited October 21, 2007
    kenlyne wrote:
    Fantastic shots--all four! I love the 1st one (cleaned up)--if you were to go with color, #4 but again, they're all great! How nice when you have to narrow down to what you like best! clap.gif

Thanks kenlyne. I wish it was a regular problem. :D
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2007
    I do like what you did with the escalator photo and Nikolai has a good point. On the other hand it's a different group of judges. mwink.gif
    edited October 22, 2007
    richtersl wrote:
    I do like what you did with the escalator photo and Nikolai has a good point. On the other hand it's a different group of judges. mwink.gif

Thanks Linda, it looks like I'm headed for a flip of the coin. :D
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    Travis wrote:
    Thanks Linda, it looks like I'm headed for a flip of the coin. :D
    Same here! rolleyes1.gif
  • HarleyPugsHarleyPugs Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    Wow...
    All very nice.

#4 is the clear choice...;)

Nice work!