Do EV adjustments change F-Stop or Shutter Speed or...?

2»

Comments

• claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    No, they are essentially the same concept: the quantity of light. Moving one stop is either doubling or halving the amount of light. So at your proper exposure +1 stop is double the light, -1 stop is half the light. The typical DSLR can show detail from -3 to +3 stops from optimum exposure (thus your 7 stops dynamic range).

Shame on me? I think not. :nono Did I bash him? No. I simply disagree with completely ignoring the histogram, as much as I disagree with trying to blindy make a nice, pretty bell-curve-shaped one. It has it's uses, but you must understand where the data is coming from & what it's telling you. I also happen to have all review shut off on my camera & run it in Av 99% of the time..0.9% of the rest is M, the remainder is in P for handing off to others. The silly icon modes have never once been used--I agree with the quoted assessment of those.
  • papajaypapajay Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    Thanks All...
    OK...time for me to go grab the bull by the horns!
    Thanks to all who contributed to my "now-better" understanding of EV and histograms. So much to learn, so little cash!
  • BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2007
    Thanks papajay - I just might go get that book....

You do understand that the dynamic range of digital is still something less than 7 stops, right?
    The 40d takes dynamic range to 9.1ev!
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos40d/page20.asp