LPS #15, Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
edited October 24, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
I want to do a B&W, but then I want to do a color shot.

This is the best I have so far.

Sunrise.
211001140-L.jpg
dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.

Comments

• TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2007
    Beautiful photo Dave. I think it could use some selective dodging to bring out detail in the shadow areas and liven up the greens.
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2007
    I love the sky and water, but the docks are really detracting from the image. I'm not sure what to suggest other than bringing out more detail/color in the grass and perhaps that will make the whole thing feel more balanced.

Emily
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    I love the sky and water, but the docks are really detracting from the image. I'm not sure what to suggest other than bringing out more detail/color in the grass and perhaps that will make the whole thing feel more balanced.

Emily

Thanks Travis and Emily.

I under exposed this to leave the grass dark. Then when I got it to the computer, I didn't like it that dark, so I lightened it. I just didn't turn out that well.

I agree that the 3 docks together seems to be one dock to many.

So, on to the next idea.

Sparks.
    I took about 50 shots of a co-worker welding.
    I tried them in B&W, but the color versions have more punch.
    I may try a using a tripod tomorrow, I'm not sure if he was moving, or if it was me. I think it was him. I had a heck of a time trying to sharpen up the blurry welding hood.
    Larger version
    211664587-O.jpg
    dave.

• GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    The sparks are cool!
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    The sparks are cool!

Thanks Em.
    dave.

• HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    I think your welding idea is a nice direction. I don't know why you'd need to reshoot on that idea, unless it was to get more spark. Crop out more of the top and more of the right side, as it's all black space that has no meaning in this context. OR, even crop it wide and horizontally, to include more of just the sparks...
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    Have to say that sparks shot is fantastic! I really like it as is. thumb.gif
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    The welder shot is a unique idea. Cool.
    Growing with Dgrin

• pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    The spark shot is simple and brilliant. A slight crop to tighten up the image may help. great shot.
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    Davey
    I like your dock shot. I think you should keep the docks...they tie your shot to a location, and I think they look interesting.

Photoshop:

Try this. To lighten the green areas, if you want to, use a selection tool, like the magnetic lasso, to select all of the areas you want to adjust. Hold the shift key down when moving from one area to the next, to select all of the areas. Next, select curves and push up the middle a little to brighten. See what you get. If you don't like the effect, just delete the layer. This technique also works well on dull eyes...brightens them up.

About the welder...great shot...may need cropping as was previously suggested. Try a tight crop...see if you like that.

Great shots, Ed
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed