Options

about power adapters

PattyohPattyoh Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited March 5, 2005 in Cameras
I'm new at this stuff. Just bought a Cannon Powershot A75.
I bought a Universal AC Adapter and got it home and the manual says
not to use anything but the AC Adapter Kit ACK600. The guy that sold it to me said he uses the Universal for his Kodak. Not sure if I should try it or just take it back???

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2005
    * Disclaimer

The below information is for recreational knowledge only & must not be thought of as fact & you must also be reminded that this info is supplied from a drug crazed australian electrician whom once ate an entire BBQ'd chicken in 40 seconds.

I would use it. Hey its just AC voltage thats switching from +110 to -110 (thats not exactly mathmatically correct but it will do for now) at 60 times a second...been a long time since i worked on yank electricity.

So the charger really couldnt care less as long as it getting that supply. I really have no idea what it all looks like but be sure that the pins are fully covered into any socket for safety.

They just want you to buy their adaptor.

• Options
    amcamc Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    edited March 5, 2005
    It's been my experience that a 3rd party a/c adapter will be fine, as long as it the packaging specifically indicates it is compatible with your model camera.
  • Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    * Disclaimer

this info is supplied from a drug crazed australian electrician whom once ate an entire BBQ'd chicken in 40 seconds.

rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    PattyohPattyoh Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited March 5, 2005
    about power adapters
    I checked out the voltage, on the camera it says 4.3 v, my adapter has 3, 4.5 or 6 and goes up from there. Maybe I should return it to play it safe?
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2005
    Its not my gear so its up to you.

But the diff between 4.3 & 4.5 is close to nothing ..maybe the diff between a charged batt & a flat one.

... i personally would not think twice about using it but im not there reading the info looking at the gear.

Entirely your call.
  • Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2005
    I have a box of power adapters to which I cannot find to what piece of electrnics they belong. I started to mate them up and put notes on the cords as to what they went to. I was left with a 9.6v adapter and a scanner that wanted 12v. I called the scanner company and it was indeed their adapter that was only 9.6v! Apparently once these things go from AC to low volt DC they becone very forgiving. I still prefer to have the manufacturer's correct adapter.

When I'm President, every power adapter will be 12 volts, 250 milliamps, positive pin in the center. So there!