The old man...

thegreeneggthegreenegg Registered Users Posts: 551 Major grins
edited March 5, 2005 in People
I was reading a post by Andy recently about street shoting. He said to not be shy, but confident, and to ask premission. Well, usually I'm that sneaky type that Andy said not to be but not with these shots I took a couple of months ago. I went up and asked and he didn't mind so I fired off alot of shots while talking to him. Comments and critiques appreciated.
Thanks,
Ashley
Green is the way to be!
ashleyharding.smugmug.com

Comments

• thegreeneggthegreenegg Registered Users Posts: 551 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2005
    And....
    Green is the way to be!
  • fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2005
    Comments and critiques appreciated.
    Hiya greenegg (say, have you seen ham lately? :giggle),

First off, the colors are all out of whack. You need some serious color and exposure correction.

Secondly, where are his eyes? As I've mentioned in several posts, to the point of being a pest, I need to see the subjects eyes, whether it's a human, bird or cat. No eyes, no portrait.

Lastly, you need a tighter crop. Better than cropping, you should zoom in on the head. Fill the frame. There's too much background stuff going on that makes the difference between a snapshot and a portrait.

Hope that's not too brutal,
    fish

some examples...

12558651-L.jpg

11894779-L.jpg

7638220-L.jpg
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2005
    Hi tge,

these are good pictures but as fish said you missed the eyes. I think you might have been standing when you took them. I learnt very fast on this forum to crouch, kneel or lie down so that you are shooting up at the subject (thanks gingerthumb.gif ). I hope this helps,

Shay.
  • fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2005
    shay wrote:
    I learnt very fast on this forum to crouch, kneel or lie down so that you are shooting up at the subject (thanks gingerthumb.gif ). I hope this helps,

Shay.
    15524779-Ti.gifthumb.gif

although you don't necessarily have to shoot *up* at the subject, you definitely need to be at eye-level.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • thegreeneggthegreenegg Registered Users Posts: 551 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2005
    I think that you just pushed me into finding the color blance I've been looking for. Thanks alot! I don't think you were too harsh, I probably needed the wake up call.
    So, I took your advice and played with color balance and croped it in so you could better see his eyes (second image) tell me what you think.
    Ashley
    Green is the way to be!
  • SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2005
    I think that you just pushed me into finding the color blance I've been looking for. Thanks alot! I don't think you were too harsh, I probably needed the wake up call.
    So, I took your advice and played with color balance and croped it in so you could better see his eyes (second image) tell me what you think.
    Ashley
    You nailed itthumb.gif What did you talk about? he looks like he has a lot of stories to tell.