Halloween is coming...

LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
edited October 23, 2007 in People
Say Cheese

211469215-L.jpg

Comments

• urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    What a fun photo! I love the lighting. Looks like a commercial shot. mwink.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    What a fun photo! I love the lighting. Looks like a commercial shot. mwink.gif

Thanks! It is usually next to impossible to get Miles to pose for a photo, but for the last few days he has been having great fun roaring at people through those teeth so it wan't too hard to coax him to scare the camera.

As for the light, after many frustrations with umbrellas, I finally broke down and picked up a good quality 30'x40"soft box. It is a bit of a hassle to set up, but I sure like working with it. For this shot, I had my 580EX in the softbox and my 430EX above and behind as a rim light. The fill was a 42" white reflector on a stand to camera right.
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    Great shot Ken! I've been playing around with a one umbrella setup (Alien Bee B800) and a photoflex reflector. It makes me wish I had purchased a softbox before my mortgage grabbed my disposable income. :D Now if I could just get someone to sit still long enough for me to use it....
    edited October 22, 2007
    Travis wrote:
    Great shot Ken! I've been playing around with a one umbrella setup (Alien Bee B800) and a photoflex reflector. It makes me wish I had purchased a softbox before my mortgage grabbed my disposable income. :D

For a straight up simple portriat an umbrella works fine, but I find that a softbox gives me a wider variety of options.

This is the softbox I have:

http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/RM3062/

The Calumet Illuma line is a really good deal. It sets up reasonbly easily (once you get the hang of it), has a very even spread and is efficient enough to use with shoemount strobes.
    Travis wrote:
    Now if I could just get someone to sit still long enough for me to use it...

Heh. I know that challenge. That is actually one place where an umbrella is better than a softbox. I leave the strobe/stand/umbrella set up tucked into the corner of my living room where I can set it up at a moment's notice. The 30 second setup means I use it a lot more.
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    And Miles, does he like the shot ?
    Is he showing it to his friends ?
    :Dthumb.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
    edited October 22, 2007
    And Miles, does he like the shot ?
    Is he showing it to his friends ?
    :Dthumb.gif

After I took the picture he came running over look at the display on my camera, but it hasn't yet left much of an impression. Miles likes pictures as memories of people and stories of his life, but at 3 he can't yet look at a photo and think "this will be a great memory." He is still living this moment, so the picture doesn't mean much to him yet.
  • ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    Very cute! Beautiful lighting and sharpness. Kids don't really know what they are looking at Laughing.gif, all your boy is seeing right now is a set of nice big fangs, that's fun for him. When he gets bigger, he might look at it differently. thumb.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Cuties02qCuties02q Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    Very nice shot and the lighting is perfect =)
    Part time photographer...Full time mommy :D

My equiment: Nikon D50, Nikon D300, SB-600, 30mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8

WEBSITE
    BLOG