jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
edited October 25, 2007 in Sports
These were taken with the 18-200.

211303882-L.jpg

211304545-L.jpg

211304583-L-1.jpg

211305737-L.jpg

211304898-L.jpg

For grins and giggles, I put on my 85mm 1.8 and got this.

211306011-L-1.jpg

Comments

• gman33gman33 Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    Very nice action shots...well done clap.gifclap.gif
    Ed G - Philadelphia, PA
    http://ergphoto.smugmug.com
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    Good action here, but you need to watch your backgrounds. Soccer can be tough with action near the sidelines due to the close proximity of clutter (spectators and benches). This really detracts and you lose the isolation of the action.

Make sure you are shooting wide open. Unfortunately, your lenses don't allow you to get down to f2.8 which would help.

Overall you did a nice job with some pretty brutal lighting. I hate shooting in the middle of the day with the sun high in the sky. Your best bet is to blow some of the highlights in an effort to get the faces properly exposed.
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    I hope to get a 70-200 2.8 soon. I am going to be at the SEC womens tournament and faster glass would help.
    edited October 24, 2007
    jonh68 wrote:
    I hope to get a 70-200 2.8 soon. I am going to be at the SEC womens tournament and faster glass would help.

I hate to say it, but on a full sized field, the 70-200mm is just too short. I've even tried it with teleconvertors, but then you lose speed. While I love that lens, it just doesn't cut it unless the action is right in front of you.
  • rusticrustic Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    Mitchell wrote:
    I hate to say it, but on a full sized field, the 70-200mm is just too short. I've even tried it with teleconvertors, but then you lose speed. While I love that lens, it just doesn't cut it unless the action is right in front of you.
    Hey Mitchell,

I've notice that a lot of your images are shot at exactly 300mm, so I'm guessing that you use a 300mm prime. Do you run into the opposite situation here, where you can't get action that is too close to you? Do you just go for the stuff that works at that length, and if so, is there are particular advantage to just being able to get stuff at 300mm vs being able to get stuff at just 200mm?

Thanks!
    edited October 24, 2007
    rustic wrote:
    Hey Mitchell,

I've notice that a lot of your images are shot at exactly 300mm, so I'm guessing that you use a 300mm prime. Do you run into the opposite situation here, where you can't get action that is too close to you? Do you just go for the stuff that works at that length, and if so, is there are particular advantage to just being able to get stuff at 300mm vs being able to get stuff at just 200mm?

Thanks!

Great question. I think this is just a matter of shooting style and personal preference. I get so caught up in following the action that a zoom lens would just put me over the edge. I do better with a fixed focal length prime lens without worrying about zooming. Now that my daughter has moved up to a full sized field, my only option was to go up to 300mm. Randy, OTOH, loves the flexibility of his new Sigma 120-300mm zoom

My technique does have drawbacks at times when the action gets too close. I just accept that I cannot catch all of the close action and use that time to grab some "sportraits" of the players. Let's face it, soccer at higher levels is not generally played right in front of the net except for corner kicks.

At 300mm you can get some nice full frame shots of some shooting attempts.

My daughter
    196585597-L.jpg

Sportrait while waiting for a corner kick
    196589709-L.jpg
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    Mitchell wrote:

I know, I just have to work my way up to getting more reach, but a 70-200 is big need right now. I just have to be ready when the action does come my way. I have been shooting night football games with a 85mm so a 200 mm reach will feel like 500mm!
  • rusticrustic Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2007
    Mitchell wrote:
    Great question. I think this is just a matter of shooting style and personal preference. I get so caught up in following the action that a zoom lens would just put me over the edge. I do better with a fixed focal length prime lens without worrying about zooming. Now that my daughter has moved up to a full sized field, my only option was to go up to 300mm. Randy, OTOH, loves the flexibility of his new Sigma 120-300mm zoom
    Thanks for the info Mitch!