The arrest

motimoti Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
edited March 7, 2005 in People
Greetings everyone,

I've been lurking here from time to time but never been active or posted any photos. As I find here more and more of my old friends from the other forum, I thought maybe it's about time to get a bit more seriouse... :):

Ok, here is my first post. It happend in China in a public fair ground when I noticed police force running towards this guy in front of me.
Luckily, I had my camera ready so I just lifted it up in the air and shot blindly. I managed to take 2 shots when they shouted at me and warned me to top.
5 seconds later, the guy was arrested and taken away.

china32.jpg

Cheers

Comments

• KalamataKalamata Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited March 5, 2005
    moti wrote:
    Greetings everyone,

Cheers

Only black and white would do justice for a picture like this, great catch. you're lucky you didn't get arrested also.
    Ed
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited March 5, 2005
    very interesting shot Moti. nice contrast... it has a very "retro" look to it. glad you decided to "delurk" :)
  • fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2005
    cool...welcome to dgrin. i love journalistic photos.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2005
    moti, my good friend, wave.gif welcome to dgrin, where we don't care what camera you shoot with (well, we give special dispensation to nikonians....) lol3.gif

so good to see you here, *love* this shot you knew i would, didn' you?

say hi to penny for me, and do tell her that i hope she'll post here, and contribute.

looking forward to more from you! deal.gif
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2005
    Nothing beats reality. Welcome to dgrin, moti. The story makes an interesting shot a fasinating one. thumb.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • motimoti Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited March 6, 2005
    Thank you everybody for your very warm welcome and nice comments.
    Cheers,
    Moti
    edited March 6, 2005
    andy wrote:
    moti, my good friend, wave.gif welcome to dgrin, where we don't care what camera you shoot with (well, we give special dispensation to nikonians....) lol3.gif

so good to see you here, *love* this shot you knew i would, didn' you?

say hi to penny for me, and do tell her that i hope she'll post here, and contribute.

looking forward to more from you! deal.gif
    Thank you so much Andy, I knew you gonna like this one.
    I must say that it feels very good in here. Just the idea of posting 20D photos without someone pumping you up with guilt feelings is already a great thing... thumb.gif
    Penny sends you her love and I'll try to push her to post here a bit too.

Cheers,
    Moti
  • NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2005
    Moti,

Fantastic catch! Real-world action!

Great to 'see' you again!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2005
    moti wrote:
    Greetings everyone,

I've been lurking here from time to time but never been active or posted any photos. As I find here more and more of my old friends from the other forum, I thought maybe it's about time to get a bit more seriouse... :):

Ok, here is my first post. It happend in China in a public fair ground when I noticed police force running towards this guy in front of me.
    Luckily, I had my camera ready so I just lifted it up in the air and shot blindly. I managed to take 2 shots when they shouted at me and warned me to top.

Cheers
    Hey Moti,

Its great to see you posting here. I hope you'll be doing a lot more posting over here. Great capture. thumb.gif
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • CosmicCosmic Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2005
    Welcome to Dgrin! :D

What a great capture and the b/w really fits this shot well IMO. Nice.

~Heidi~
    Lead me not into Temptation. I can find the way myself....

edited March 6, 2005
    Nir wrote:
    Moti,

Fantastic catch! Real-world action!
    Great to 'see' you again!
    Thank you very much Nir, great to see you too in here.
    Moti
    edited March 6, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    Hey Moti,
    Its great to see you posting here. I hope you'll be doing a lot more posting over here. Great capture. thumb.gif
    Thank you Harry. I missed you posting there so I came here now... :D

Cheers
    Moti
    edited March 6, 2005
    Cosmic wrote:
    Welcome to Dgrin! :D
    What a great capture and the b/w really fits this shot well IMO. Nice.
    ~Heidi~
    Thank you very much Heidi. I agree with you, this shot looks much better in b&w than in color.
    Moti
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2005
    Hi Moti wave.gif welcome to the riff raff site..great to have you and a great shot!!clap.gif wonder what he did...1drink.gif
    edited March 6, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    Hi Moti wave.gif welcome to the riff raff site..great to have you and a great shot!!clap.gif wonder what he did...1drink.gif
    Thank you very much Lynn, that's a real warm welcome.
    About that guy, as far as I could understand, he tried pickpocketing.
    Cheers
    Moti
  • PeterGarPeterGar Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    In the right place at the right time. Fantastic!
    edited March 7, 2005
    You know, after the hassling I got this weekend on a sidewalk, I think the reason they're arresting this guy is because he took a photo somewhere.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    You know, after the hassling I got this weekend on a sidewalk, I think the reason they're arresting this guy is because he took a photo somewhere.
    why sid what happened.. you got hassled??? do tell all.. or did you already tell me..eek7.gif1drink.gif
    edited March 7, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    why sid what happened.. you got hassled??? do tell all.. or did you already tell me..eek7.gif1drink.gif
    Walking downtown on what appears to be a public sidewalk, I take three shots of an office building across the street that has an interesting window set-up. A security guard comes up immediately and says I'm not allowed to shoot their buildings. The same outfit owns the building I'm next to, as well as the one across the street.

I ask if the sidewalk we're standing on isn't public (I'm actually being nice and non-confrontational.) He says no, and that I can't take shots. I show him, and tell him, that I'm turning off the camera. Then I ask him again if this isn't a public sidewalk. I asked him again, because there was nothing to distinguish the sidewalk from the rest of downtown, save for the material out of which it was made. No signs or anything.

He's a young guy, he gets agitated, says something that I interpet as meaning that he wants to get into my camera and destroy the shots that I already took. So I said 'we're not going to do that' and walked across the street. He gets on his two-way calling in backup (vehicle?) as I walk away on what I presume to be another public sidewalk. But who knows, anymore?

I really should make a point of finding out what the deal is in downtown Atlanta. I figured a sidewalk's a sidewalk, a public place. Maybe not. ne_nau.gif It's very confusing to be accosted for shooting a 4th story window from ground level on a Saturday afternoon. And this young security guard was very serious about it. Weird.
    Sid.
  • Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    Hey another good guy comin' over! Hi there southern neighbour :D Great to see you here, and good catch!!! Excellent use of B/W it is *strong*
    wave.gif so good of you to de-lurk!
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
    edited March 7, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    ...I really should make a point of finding out what the deal is in downtown Atlanta. I figured a sidewalk's a sidewalk, a public place. Maybe not. ne_nau.gif It's very confusing to be accosted for shooting a 4th story window from ground level on a Saturday afternoon. And this young security guard was very serious about it. Weird.
    Very strange, on the other hand I heard that a city, can't remember which one, has copyrighhted it's sky...
    Crazy world headscratch.gif
    edited March 7, 2005
    Hey another good guy comin' over! Hi there southern neighbour :D Great to see you here, and good catch!!! Excellent use of B/W it is *strong*
    wave.gif so good of you to de-lurk!
    Hello Michiel :D
    Great to see you here too and thanks for the nice comments.
    Moti
    edited March 7, 2005
    moti wrote:
    Very strange, on the other hand I heard that a city, can't remember which one, has copyrighhted it's sky...
    Crazy world headscratch.gif
    Oh, I think that's the Chicago thing. City officials want to control shooting in publicly funded Millenium Park. It's to protect the city's business/licensing revenue from marketing images of a sculpture there called Cloud gate (known as The Bean on the street.)
    Sid.
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited March 7, 2005
    Reality....
    I like it Moti thumb.gifthumb.gif You can just feel the tension when you look at the faces. Raw, in your face, real life photojournalism clap.gif Very, very nice capture.

As others have written, glad you didn't get arrested too (or even worse, get your camera confiscated ;-) Those police look like they mean business :uhoh

As Andy points out, we don't care what flavor camera you shoot with. Just participate and post pics and you'll really enjoy yourself. I know I sure do :):

Welcome back,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero