Regarding the 40d's Live View.

TylerWTylerW Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
edited October 22, 2007 in Cameras
I'm not really a studio photographer, so when I placed my order for Canon's latest I figured this feature would be the cheapo toy in the crackerjack box as far as I was concerned. But I am a fan of shooting landscapes and particularly sunrise / sunsets. More than that, I like my retinas and hate burning holes in them when I'm shooting sunrises and sunsets. Sounds to me like I have a great use for Live View. However, before I put this into practice, I wanted to know fromt hose who know more than me - is exposing my sensor to direct sunlight in this way for prolonged periods of time going to damage it in the long (or short) run?
http://www.tylerwinegarner.com

Canon 40d | Canon 17-40 f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L

Comments

• sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    TylerW wrote:
    I'm not really a studio photographer, so when I placed my order for Canon's latest I figured this feature would be the cheapo toy in the crackerjack box as far as I was concerned. But I am a fan of shooting landscapes and particularly sunrise / sunsets. More than that, I like my retinas and hate burning holes in them when I'm shooting sunrises and sunsets. Sounds to me like I have a great use for Live View. However, before I put this into practice, I wanted to know fromt hose who know more than me - is exposing my sensor to direct sunlight in this way for prolonged periods of time going to damage it in the long (or short) run?

Its a no-no... in the manual there is a specific comment about not pointing the camera at the sun in live view mode. Sorry... gonna have to stick with sunglasses deal.gif
  • TylerWTylerW Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    I figured as much, and hadn't read the manual first (my apologies) Glad I asked!
    http://www.tylerwinegarner.com

Canon 40d | Canon 17-40 f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    TylerW wrote:

1) Do not expose it to a direct unobstructed sunlight :nono
    2) Read the manual. deal.gif
    There are tons of info, lot's been changed since 20D/30D times. I have read it, used the camera, have read it again, etc. several times. Now I feel pretty solid on all the features.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • lowbonelowbone Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    Yes, the manual says you can damage the shutter blades