"Distressed Portraits"

awmphotoawmphoto Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
edited October 23, 2007 in People
Both of these were taken mid morning and I processed them with CS2 using an action from adobe's website and some other minor adjustments, I'm hoping for some constructive criticism and also any comments you may have. Thanks for your time.

208948463-M.jpg

208948902-M.jpg
awmphoto.smugmug.com

Comments

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited October 22, 2007
    I like both of these, moreso the second one-

considering the light you shot in, I think they're great!-

but I'm no expert-

hopefully, you'll get some c&c from the good folks here at dgrin-
  • rundadarrundadar Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    my 2c
    awmphoto wrote:
    I'm hoping for some constructive criticism and also any comments you may have. Thanks for your time.

Well, the treatment is 'groovy' and all, but the reality refuses to go away :) And the reality is that those two fine fellows look happy and posing and not gloomy at all... In other words - this is a classical case of using PP for the sake of PP without paying too much attention to the actual photography.

What's my 'constructive' bit, then? But of course - here it is: wonders of PP are easy to get entangled in, but the incredible power of photography (as opposed to, say, painting) comes from it (photography) being a depiction of something real . PP is there to merely help enhance the sense of 'realness' (when needed).

All that is just MY opinion, and while we're at it - both shots are nice.

:)
    http://rundadar.smugmug.com

"...turtles are great speed enthusiasts, which is natural"

J.Cortazar

• awmphotoawmphoto Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    Gefillmore - Thanks for your response and I appreciate you taking the time to look.

Rundadar - Your honest criticism was exactly what I was looking for, thanks for your honesty and in the future I'll try harder to move from the posed and over PP to "keeping it real".

If anyone else has any comments on how to improve I would love to hear. Thanks again.
    awmphoto.smugmug.com
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    awmphoto wrote:
    If anyone else has any comments on how to improve I would love to hear. Thanks again.
    I love the chain link idea- very cool thought. But it lacked a bit in execution. It's perspective right now is that the upper bar is growing in and out of his noggin'- which is not a happy place to be and contradicts his charming smile.

I really do like the treatments you used- but again ask yourself what do you want the pictures to communicate and then go at it again.

The other shot is a little awkward- like he was a little embarrased to have his piccie shot because he hadn't practiced his smile in front of the mirror that morning- a little Napoleon Dynamite/ Jr Hi feel in the goofy smile.

Keep on shooting and practicing that PP! It will amaze you what you can accomplish!