Strange noise inside Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 L

NimaiNimai Registered Users Posts: 564 Major grins
edited October 22, 2007 in Cameras
have you ever been chewing on your food and hit a grain of sand? You know that sound and that flinch? Well, that's kind of how this felt! I was at home in the middle of an exciting shoot of a baby crib we plan to sell on craigslist when I twisted the zoom and ccccrrrrunch!
I gingerly twisted it back and forth and it totally felt like it had broken. The grinding sound happend some more, and it just didn't feel right at all! Then - it all went away. Hasn't happened since. I'm worried that there is something like a grain of sand in there doing evil things like a miscehvious gremlin!
Anyone had a similar experience? Should I just keep on shootin', or send 'er in for a once-over? Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited October 22, 2007
    I would strongly consider sending it in for a cleaning. Include a note describing the noise and anything you "felt" during the episode.

It could be nothing, but it could be serious. Only opening the lens will tell the tale.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • NimaiNimai Registered Users Posts: 564 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    I'm going to have to rent a replacement while it's out. I love that lens! iloveyou.gif