telephotos lens inquiry

Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
edited October 23, 2007 in Cameras
Ok..

So I recently picked up a 70-200 L lens from here... but I been wondering in the lens barrel there is a switch under the AF\MF that has "1.2m- infinity and 3m - Infinity" What exactly does it mean? Is it the closest I can get to a subject?
Food & Culture.
www.tednghiem.com

Comments

• LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    The 3m-infinity setting prevents the AF from focusing on objects closer than 3m. It is handy when you are shooting through something nearby and can also speed of the AF algorithm.
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    The 3m-infinity setting prevents the AF from focusing on objects closer than 3m. It is handy when you are shooting through something nearby and can also speed of the AF algorithm.

ohh ok and I will presume the 1.3 is the same thing, only within the 1.3 parameters.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    ohh ok and I will presume the 1.3 is the same thing, only within the 1.3 parameters.

The other setting is covers the full focusing range of the lens.
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    oh..

Thanks! This is the first telephoto lens I have gotten.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    If you notice, right around half of the AF rotational distance is taken up by 1.2m-3m. By eliminating that you effectively double the AF speed in hunting situations.
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    Exactly. If you know your subjects are going to be farther than 3m, limiting the AF throw speeds things up significantly.