Options

The Vandemar Electric Company

schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
edited November 1, 2007 in Other Cool Shots
Back in the saddle! :wink

This was a second visit to one of my favorite buildings. I honestly do not think that there is another structure like this in all the world - and if there was, I will be hopping on an airplane to see it for myself.

Having taken time off to live real life, go shooting with other great photographers of very different backgrounds and generally take a break from taking risks, it was bittersweet coming back. In some ways it was like coming home and in others I felt out of place because I had grown a little.

Also I have realized that there are so many aspects of photography that smear across the lines. Some of the challenges inside here were the same challenges I felt out in the mountains of Glacier. Feeling rushed, trying to find the order in the chaos, dealing with tricky light and unmovable subjects.

But there is nothing like the cold stillness of an empty concrete building. There is so much around you and you just want to gather them up with your lens and take them all home!

The last time I was here almost all of my photos were processed in B/W. This time I was on a mission to find the little details. The giant, Victorian turbines are lovely, yes, but I wanted to hunt down something a bit more colorful.

Sorry, enough chat.

A Study of Lines, Reflections and Vertigo
211129106-L-2.jpg

Break Room (the reading material on the table was NSFW :lol3)
211128206-L-2.jpg

Bleeding Blue
211224465-L-2.jpg

Pink??
211681164-M-2.jpg

Elephant Skin
211680793-L-2.jpg

The Fly
211681597-L-2.jpg

But of course I love B/W too much to let it go entirely:

Light Houses
211128552-L-2.jpg

Guillotine Room (the infirmary)
211223511-L-2.jpg

Like Teeth
211225280-L-2.jpg

As usual, feedback and CC is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    Stephanie

I really enjoy your commentary! It adds another dimension to your art. The following images are my favorites of this set. I am shocked and amazed that you can and do access these abandoned buildings...but I am really glad that you do.

ann
    schmoo wrote:
    Bleeding Blue
    211224465-S-2.jpg

Elephant Skin
    211680793-S-2.jpg

The Fly
    211681597-S-2.jpg

Light Houses
    211128552-S-2.jpg

Like Teeth
    211225280-S-2.jpg

• Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    schmoo wrote:
    Back in the saddle! mwink.gif

This was a second visit to one of my favorite buildings. I honestly do not think that there is another structure like this in all the world - and if there was, I will be hopping on an airplane to see it for myself.

Having taken time off to live real life, go shooting with other great photographers of very different backgrounds and generally take a break from taking risks, it was bittersweet coming back. In some ways it was like coming home and in others I felt out of place because I had grown a little.

Also I have realized that there are so many aspects of photography that smear across the lines. Some of the challenges inside here were the same challenges I felt out in the mountains of Glacier. Feeling rushed, trying to find the order in the chaos, dealing with tricky light and unmovable subjects.

But there is nothing like the cold stillness of an empty concrete building. There is so much around you and you just want to gather them up with your lens and take them all home!

The last time I was here almost all of my photos were processed in B/W. This time I was on a mission to find the little details. The giant, Victorian turbines are lovely, yes, but I wanted to hunt down something a bit more colorful.

Sorry, enough chat.

A Study of Lines, Reflections and Vertigo
    Break Room (the reading material on the table was NSFW lol3.gif)
    Bleeding Blue
    Pink??
    Elephant Skin
    The Fly
    Light Houses
    Like Teeth

Hey there Schmoo I was wondering how long it would be before you found another abandoned place to shoot ... you were faster than I figured rolleyes1.gif

Rust is just amazing how it peels, and flakes, blisters and colours up!

You have such a good eye when it comes to these old buildings,
    your work is always interesting, and has me searching for things within the image itself.

Rust looks great in B&W and in Colour.

Another Awesome Post from you Schmoo clap.gif
    ... thanks for sharing .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2007
    Thanks, Ann, Skippy! I find the entire creative process (shooting, post-processing, and writing) very cathartic. I get a bit dysfunctional when I am too busy to do this on a regular basis. I just consider myself very, very fortunate that there people out there who are willing to take a moment to read and look... because it would not be half as rewarding without you folks.

:):
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited October 23, 2007
    It's always a treat to see your old buildings. The last two shots are outstanding, but I also love the color in #3. Finding art in chaos is a rare talent.

Regards,
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited October 23, 2007
    Great work, Stephanie. I really like your color shots, but 'Like Teeth' is also outstandingthumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    nicely done!

lol @ the fly! rolleyes1.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2007
    Thanks, all. I did laugh the first time I saw the gadget that looks like a fly/alien face - I just wish I knew what purpose it had. I've learned a lot about steam turbines in the last year, but I still am clueless about that one.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited October 23, 2007
    schmoo wrote:
    Thanks, all. I did laugh the first time I saw the gadget that looks like a fly/alien face - I just wish I knew what purpose it had. I've learned a lot about steam turbines in the last year, but I still am clueless about that one.

The Alien Fly is an electric motor, I believe, Stephanie. I think the end you photographed is one end of the armature.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    JaravissJaraviss Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    i love the layered textures peeling away
    i wish i didn't see the water jug in the break room.

i love these pics and especially pics of old run down places.
    makes you wonder what went on in there when it was full of life.
    what noises were there (human and machien) and how the people interacted with eachother and the machinery.

alot of people have commented on your past images adn i'll have to dig around to find some.

thumb.gif very cool!

-G
    equipment:
    canon rebel XTi
    18-55mm lens
    60mm macro lens
    75-300mm telephoto lens
    canon speelite 580 EXII
  • Options
    z_28z_28 Registered Users Posts: 956 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    I like The Fly.
    thumb.gif

Rest is somewhat "shootin' around" stuff,
    no increase of my high blood pressure.
    D300, D70s, 10.5/2.8, 17-55/2.8, 24-85/2.8-4, 50/1.4, 70-200VR, 70-300VR, 60/2.8, SB800, SB80DX, SD8A, MB-D10 ...
    XTi, G9, 16-35/2.8L, 100-300USM, 70-200/4L, 19-35, 580EX II, CP-E3, 500/8 ...
    DSC-R1, HFL-F32X ... ; AG-DVX100B and stuff ... (I like this 10 years old signature :^)
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2007
    Thanks for the feedback (and information, Jim!)

I understand about the glaring white water jug. I was entranced by the huge stock of them in that room that was still stacked against the opposite wall! :D

So far I have been in many old power plants, but never one that was active and busy. One day hopefully I can so I can see (and hear) these things in action. One of the little details that gets me every time are the big gaps between the floor panels that the steam turbines rest on, in relation to the rest of the hall floor. You can really tell those things are big, shaky and noisy and I bet when they're powered up it is truly awesome.

By "shooting around" stuff, do you mean snapshotty? I was going for more abstract images, so I want to know if I've totally missed the mark. ear.gif
  • Options
    z_28z_28 Registered Users Posts: 956 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    You are new mod here, BTW congratulations !

So I can't be too hard on you anymore ne_nau.gif
    D300, D70s, 10.5/2.8, 17-55/2.8, 24-85/2.8-4, 50/1.4, 70-200VR, 70-300VR, 60/2.8, SB800, SB80DX, SD8A, MB-D10 ...
    XTi, G9, 16-35/2.8L, 100-300USM, 70-200/4L, 19-35, 580EX II, CP-E3, 500/8 ...
    DSC-R1, HFL-F32X ... ; AG-DVX100B and stuff ... (I like this 10 years old signature :^)
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    schmoo wrote:

Bleeding Blue

The Fly

So...when's your workshop on shooting the abandoned? :D

I like how you set out to challenge yourself with this. I can see your stamp on the images, but they are a bit different from your usual MO. The three in the quote above are my favorites: Bleeding Blue fior the composition and color (slightly more depth to the lighting could step it up a notch, but you've mentioned how uncooperative the light can be); The Fly for the color and lighting, but not so much the composition--the framing feels a little off to me, but I forgive it because the orange glow and fantastic light are too amazing mwink.gif; Guillotine Room, because I love the angle but more because your title really made me stop and think--I first thought that would be a rather harsh way to deal with patients, then I really noticed the odd shape of the windows. Cue lightbulb. :D

All in all, I can see how you've grown and how you're looking for something new in the familiar. I honestly can't wait to see where you go from here (as long as you keep showing us where you are right now, too!).

As always, simply amazing work, schmoo. clap.gif Thank you for sharing.
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2007
    z_28 wrote:
    You are new mod here, BTW congratulations !

So I can't be too hard on you anymore ne_nau.gif

Thanks and... NONSENSE! I do not expect to be treated any differently than anyone else. I'm here to help and learn just as much as the next photographer. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2007
    Llywellyn wrote:
    So...when's your workshop on shooting the abandoned? :D

I like how you set out to challenge yourself with this. I can see your stamp on the images, but they are a bit different from your usual MO. The three in the quote above are my favorites: Bleeding Blue fior the composition and color (slightly more depth to the lighting could step it up a notch, but you've mentioned how uncooperative the light can be); The Fly for the color and lighting, but not so much the composition--the framing feels a little off to me, but I forgive it because the orange glow and fantastic light are too amazing mwink.gif; Guillotine Room, because I love the angle but more because your title really made me stop and think--I first thought that would be a rather harsh way to deal with patients, then I really noticed the odd shape of the windows. Cue lightbulb. :D

All in all, I can see how you've grown and how you're looking for something new in the familiar. I honestly can't wait to see where you go from here (as long as you keep showing us where you are right now, too!).

As always, simply amazing work, schmoo. clap.gif Thank you for sharing.
    Thank you for your feedback, Kerry! I love your editor's eye for these things. It certainly shows in your own work and... it benefits those you critique :D

Somehow I don't think Dgrin will advocate walking under semi-nonexistent ceilings. lol3.gif I certainly am the first person to say "Kids, don't try this at home!" Seriously though, there were many shots I threw out because I couldn't get the angle I wanted, simply because there was too much rubble to stand there or I just didn't plain trust the integrity of the roof over the right spot.
  • Options
    Dave CleeDave Clee Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    Great stuff, nothing like spending the time to work creatively in a place like that..For me this is what I enjoy the most..Knowing that its just me, the camera and a building that is willing to co-operate.
    Love all of the pics.

Cheers

Dave
    Still searching for the light...

http://www.daveclee.com

Nikon D3 and a bunch of nikkor gear
    that has added up over the years :wink
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2007
    Nice round of images schmoo! You see things well. We have a place out west
    worth your bother. Little out of your way with your day to day but the site
    is worth it. Eastern Oregon. Got time for that? :D
    Michael
  • Options
    jzieglerjziegler Registered Users Posts: 420 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2007
    Great images!

I love seeing pics of adbondoned buildings, I'm usually too chicken to go in myself, so I settle for occasionally doing exteriors.

I agree that "the fly" looks like some kind of motor.

Out of curiosity, just how big are the nuts and bolts in "Like Teeth"? They look huge.

Regards,
    James
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2007
    Whoah sorry for the inadvertant bump. This one got buried really fast. eek7.gif

I'd love to go to Oregon sometime! Not even entirely for the old buildings - I hear the scenery and climate is gorgeous, too. :D

James thanks and the bolts really were quite huge. They were at least as long as my hand. The part that was hanging below the lip, at least. They had to be pretty big to keep the lid of the turbines fastened, that's for sure.
  • Options
    ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2007
    I got alot to learn from you!..This is just amazing! To bad we don´t have buildings like that in sweden..Here we tare it all down hehe.
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2007
    Arvan wrote:
    I got alot to learn from you!..This is just amazing! To bad we don´t have buildings like that in sweden..Here we tare it all down hehe.

They do that most of the time here, too, because most often it's cheaper for developers to raze a building than to renovate one. Which is one main reason why I try to get out and shoot these places - they disappear so quickly!
  • Options
    jzieglerjziegler Registered Users Posts: 420 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2007
    schmoo wrote:
    They do that most of the time here, too, because most often it's cheaper for developers to raze a building than to renovate one. Which is one main reason why I try to get out and shoot these places - they disappear so quickly!

There are a few in the town where I live. There is an old glass factory, part of which is still in use. I'll definately get some exterior shots of the buildings sometime soon. I actually took a couple when I was taking pictures for LPS, but I haven't done anything with them, and have had some good thoughts driving by in the evenings recently.

You're an inspiration, Schmoo!

Regards,
    James
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2007
    jziegler wrote:
    There are a few in the town where I live. There is an old glass factory, part of which is still in use. I'll definately get some exterior shots of the buildings sometime soon. I actually took a couple when I was taking pictures for LPS, but I haven't done anything with them, and have had some good thoughts driving by in the evenings recently.

That sounds absolutely lovely. I hope you get the shot you want soon so you can share 'em! :D