First Shot posted from First studio...

dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
edited March 5, 2005 in People
shoot, first model shoot, first time using strobe lights.

What do you think. Please be brutally honest.

carmen149600w400hcurved.jpg
Curves

carmen149600w400h.jpg
no curves
Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
www.zxstudios.com
http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com

Comments

• fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2005
    expo is better in second one. looks good...let's see some more.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2005
    Flat lighting is a good technique to know for those with less than perfect skin. Try getting some higher lighting ratio shots next. More of a difference between shadow and highlight. Try split lighting, cross lighting, butterfly lighting, and Rembrandt lighting for starters. It is good to have a lot of "tools" in your bag. Each lighting style has it's strength and weaknesses with different people and styles. So learn how to shoot them all and you will be able to shoot anyone and everyone.

In a shot like you have here, I would like to see more space for the chin and less for the hair. You can crop into hair far more than you can the face and still have it look good. So if something needs to be cropped out, use the hair first.

The models expression is semi expressionless. So depending on your intent for the photo, this may work for you, but I would like to see a little bit of life in the models facial expression.

Keep at it, mix up the light, try anything and everything looking for setups that you think look great and that you enjoy doing.

Curves

no curves
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2005
    heres another shot.
    carmen117curved400h267w.jpg

How bout this one?
    www.zxstudios.com
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2005

carmen149600w400h.jpg

16952963-L.jpg

needs a bit more contrast imo, i used a further curves adjustment, to accentuate further her hair and facial features. i also blew out the white bg some more...
    edited March 5, 2005
    The models expression is semi expressionless.

:giggle

she's probably thinking "geez dragon, how many more times are you gonna blind me with those things?!"
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
    edited March 5, 2005
    Thanks for all the tips so far guys. Hopefully between school and you guys here one day I'll be as good as I would like.

How bout this shot?
    carmen21600w400h.jpg

Actually fish she was extremely patient, easy to work with, and nice. The kinda kid you really hope to see make it. Hopefully I wasn't to boring for her so I can get her to do another shoot.

carmen149contrastenhancement600400.jpg

First shot with contrast played with.
    www.zxstudios.com
    edited March 5, 2005
    white shirt on white background? :lynn

you need to set her apart from the background, unless it's just a headshot...then still...
    edited March 5, 2005
    I know I know the shirt is a light blue. I need to spend some more time on contrast and curves to bring it out more.
    www.zxstudios.com