Local Beaches

philiphutsonphiliphutson Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
edited October 25, 2007 in Landscapes
I've been trying to shoot more locally, and at night
ShellBeach.jpg

and places I wouldn't of thought of shooting
Avila.jpg
This second one I had a little bit before the guest of honor of a party so I grabbed the camera and tripod and started playing.

Shooting locally is one of those things I think 'oh I'll shoot that next week right now I just want to go to .....'. Recently after hearing one person lamant how they should of shot more locally because now they could use local area shots I thought it was time to make it a point to go out locally with the camera. So now I hitting to local spots and combining that with trying some new stuff for myself.
-Philip
If you want to see paradise simply look around and see it.
-Willy Wonka

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    Hey Phil! It's great to see you shooting more wave.gif

Personally I adore night photography. But I never thought to do night shots at a beach, where most people shoot during the day. The stars in the first add a completely different dimension to the scene. Did you light paint the foreground or was there ambient lighting in the vicinity?

I also love the view from under the pier. The soft water looks almost like an ice rink... surely something that doesn't occur naturally in your neck o' the woods. :D

Keep 'em coming!
  • philiphutsonphiliphutson Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    schmoo wrote:
    Hey Phil! It's great to see you shooting more wave.gif

Personally I adore night photography. But I never thought to do night shots at a beach, where most people shoot during the day. The stars in the first add a completely different dimension to the scene. Did you light paint the foreground or was there ambient lighting in the vicinity?

I also love the view from under the pier. The soft water looks almost like an ice rink... surely something that doesn't occur naturally in your neck o' the woods. :D

Keep 'em coming!
    Thanks Schmoo.
    The first shot was a combination of moonlight and a street light about 200ft away. The street light lite up the rocks while the moon provided illumination for the water and the rocks on the shore. I'm heading back there again tonight to get a longer exposure and try not to center the horizon11doh.gif
    We have ice around here we just keep it in the freezer :D
    -Philip
    -Willy Wonka
  • nicoleshillidaynicoleshilliday Registered Users Posts: 549 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    Thanks for sharing. Great shots. May i ask for you to share the exif of the first shot??

I am currently away on business in Atlantic City, NJ and would love to get some beach shots like yours at night while i am here. But, i am in AC and don't know if that is so safe to do alone!!! headscratch.gif
    Nicole
    D3, and other Nikon goodies
    Shilliday Photography
    Blog
    Facebook
  • zweiblumenzweiblumen Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    Thanks for sharing. Great shots. May i ask for you to share the exif of the first shot??

I am currently away on business in Atlantic City, NJ and would love to get some beach shots like yours at night while i am here. But, i am in AC and don't know if that is so safe to do alone!!! headscratch.gif

Well, in AC with expensive camera gear, I would recommend staying where the bright lights are. Down on the beach you are less likely to run into trouble, but there are so many desperate people there it can be a risky thing to do with anything of value.

I try to get up to AC between 3 and 5 times a year, and I'm pretty comfortable walking around "shady" areas. Being 6'2" and bald helps a little. If you can find someone, anyone, to go out with you, I would recommend that. Two sets of eyes are always better than one.

For what it's worth, I'm a bit overprotective of people, so I tend to err on the side of caution. Your mileage may vary.
    Travis
    edited October 24, 2007
    zweiblumen wrote:
    Well, in AC with expensive camera gear, I would recommend staying where the bright lights are. Down on the beach you are less likely to run into trouble, but there are so many desperate people there it can be a risky thing to do with anything of value.

I try to get up to AC between 3 and 5 times a year, and I'm pretty comfortable walking around "shady" areas. Being 6'2" and bald helps a little. If you can find someone, anyone, to go out with you, I would recommend that. Two sets of eyes are always better than one.

For what it's worth, I'm a bit overprotective of people, so I tend to err on the side of caution. Your mileage may vary.

I grew up in South NJ so i know how unsafe AC can be...i just hate the fact that i have the time at night to shoot but not during the day. I have to sit at a convention registration desk...allllll....dayyyyyy.

Yeh, at 5'1" (and with hair) i think i will stay in my room! :cry
    Nicole
    Shilliday Photography
    Blog
    Facebook
  • philiphutsonphiliphutson Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007

The exif is
    480s (8minutes)
    f/11
    iso 400
    23mm
    The light conditions where
    a street light about 200meters above and behind me on a bluff overlooking the shore and about a half moon again above and behind me to the left.

For this kind of shot I will set the f stop to where I want it then crank up the iso to 3200 take a reading and then step it back down to the iso I actually want adjusting the time as I move downward (doubling the time for each full iso stop 1600,800,400,200,100,50). This will usually result in a slightly under exposed shot because of reciposity failure (I know thats not the correct term but that the best term for it that I know) so I might add another half to full stop.
    -Philip
    -Willy Wonka
    edited October 25, 2007
    The exif is
    480s (8minutes)
    f/11
    iso 400
    23mm
    The light conditions where
    a street light about 200meters above and behind me on a bluff overlooking the shore and about a half moon again above and behind me to the left.

For this kind of shot I will set the f stop to where I want it then crank up the iso to 3200 take a reading and then step it back down to the iso I actually want adjusting the time as I move downward (doubling the time for each full iso stop 1600,800,400,200,100,50). This will usually result in a slightly under exposed shot because of reciposity failure (I know thats not the correct term but that the best term for it that I know) so I might add another half to full stop.
    -Philip

Thanks! very informative!
    Nicole
    Shilliday Photography
    Blog
    Facebook