need advice on cheap flash solutions for macros

QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
edited October 26, 2007 in Holy Macro
okay, I got my nikon d40x about 2 weeks ago. I find macro shots a good controlled way to get up to speed on techniques and such. I have the standard 18-55 mm nikor glass and I bought some close-up lense filters.

My first surprise was that close up lenses don't actually magnify the image. It simply allows you to get closer to the object and still be able to focus on it.

My 2nd surprise was that with my close up lenses attached (4x), the light from my pop up flash actually gets partially blocked by the physical protusion of the lense.

Okay so now I need a flash setup to avoid this issue. I see $600 setups with dual flashes on either side of the lense. Looks nice. Except I want spend something on the order of $200.

I see some "ring" flashes for around that price..don't really know though..can anyone give me some pro/cons advice on affordable flash setups for macro shots?

Thanks
D700, D600
14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
85 and 50 1.4
45 PC and sb910 x2
http://www.danielkimphotography.com

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    Hi welcome to the forum :)
    I wouldn't bother with any cheap ring light/flashes esp if they are based on LEDS. Other cheap ones will probably only allow manual control of the flash- can be done but makes things difficult.
    Think I'd either make a light duct for the pop up flash- normally a card tube lined with reflective material (eg aluminium foil) with a flap on the end to bounce the light down a bit or I'd just get a small external flash that works with your Nikon and use a difffuser (normally made out of plastic milk bottles). The extra height should get over the end of the lens.

You can see pics of some of the things I've used here http://www.flickr.com/groups/topic/66514/

Brian V.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    Qarik wrote:
    okay, I got my nikon d40x about 2 weeks ago. I find macro shots a good controlled way to get up to speed on techniques and such. I have the standard 18-55 mm nikor glass and I bought some close-up lense filters.

My first surprise was that close up lenses don't actually magnify the image. It simply allows you to get closer to the object and still be able to focus on it.

My 2nd surprise was that with my close up lenses attached (4x), the light from my pop up flash actually gets partially blocked by the physical protusion of the lense.

Okay so now I need a flash setup to avoid this issue. I see $600 setups with dual flashes on either side of the lense. Looks nice. Except I want spend something on the order of $200.

I see some "ring" flashes for around that price..don't really know though..can anyone give me some pro/cons advice on affordable flash setups for macro shots?

Thanks

Hi there Qarik, and welcome to the Dgrin Forum thumb.gif
    Are you saying that you don't have an external flash at all?

Have a look at the post above from Brian, he made his own diffuser for his camera, but as you can see he does use an External Flash.

I also use an External flash and have just picked up a Dual Flash Unit dedicated to Macro Photography.

I have not posted any images from this new set up,
    but hope to do so over the weekend.

An External Flash and a way to bend that flash to where you want it is the way to go, you can make your own diffusers for it.

Hopefully a few other folks will respond and tell you what they are using as a light source for shooting MACRO's.

Enjoy the Forum, hope you will post some of your work soon. thumb.gif
    ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    hmmm
    so just a normal external flash seems to be okay. heh..next question..any flash reccomendations? Is it worth it to stick with name brand? I know I want TTL...any other features I should be on aware of.

Thanks guys.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    Qarik wrote:
    so just a normal external flash seems to be okay. heh..next question..any flash reccomendations? Is it worth it to stick with name brand? I know I want TTL...any other features I should be on aware of.

Thanks guys.

Well apart from being fully compatable with your camera in whatever Nikon TTL is called, the only other thing I use is the FEC control on the flash (i find this easier than using the FEC control on the camera. Sooner or later you will probably want to get a bracket to put the flash on, I really know nothing about Nikon flash but think some of them are fired wirelesssly ?

Brian v.
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    Well apart from being fully compatable with your camera in whatever Nikon TTL is called, the only other thing I use is the FEC control on the flash (i find this easier than using the FEC control on the camera. Sooner or later you will probably want to get a bracket to put the flash on, I really know nothing about Nikon flash but think some of them are fired wirelesssly ?

Brian v.

I am totally guided by Brian. I use the Canon 580 ex flash and I use it all the time even in good light. I find it is a must. I find at times when I use my ex tube 31mm I can only take one shot as an error occurs and then I have to switch off and repeat. If I use the 13 or 21mm tube this does not occur. I am sure Brian will have an answer for this.
    Kind regards
    Bob
  • BakatBakat Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2007
    I haven't made one of these yet, but I suspect that it will rock for macros.
    Bakat

http://www.eyeonbirmingham.blogspot.com/
    "Photography is not a sport. It has no rules"
    Bill Brandt