SoCal Fires... again :-(

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited October 25, 2007 in Landscapes
You know something is not right when the light from the window get this - otherwise very pretty - golden honey color:

211184109-L.jpg

At least you can get some non-trivial sun shots:

211834679-L.jpg

Conejo Valley between Malibu and Moorpark fires.

211834822-L.jpg
This is a handheld 14 shots pano, stitched in PS CS3. Larger 600px tall onscreen version is here

And here's a Smoky Moon shot for you:

211389967-L.jpg

A few more pics are here: http://nik.smugmug.com/gallery/3690086

Always look for the silver lining! :wink
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    I'm just so worried right now about SoCal. My parents are in LA, my sister is in SD and I have friends up and down the coast. One of the fires is currently hundreds of yards away from my sister's house and they don't know if it will still be standing in the morning. I have a ton of friends in SD and I can't get a hold of many them. :cry

In SD, they expect the fire to reach the Pacific Ocean... Crazy.

I think the silver lining is that the mandatory evacuations are working; the death rate is currently very low.

I wish for the best for SoCal.... they really need it.
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    Thanks for posting Nik. I think I got out of there just in time!

My employer closed the office I'm based out of in Irvine for the first time in the 13+ years I've been with the company due to smoke. I hear they also evacuated the Musack jail nearby too. I've been through some smokey times there, but I can't imagine how bad it is to cause these closures.

Looking at the weather it was 20 degrees hotter in Irvine than Las Vegas today!
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    Nik,

And I forgot to mention that your shots are amazing. The color of the sun and the moon are impressive and hard to image that those colors are produced by natural events. Well done.
  • snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    Watching the fire in SD
    Hi Nikolai,

Great sunset shot! I saw a couple good ones myself. I was too nervous to even think of my camera. I'm still watching the flames from my deck. This is so scary. It seems like So. Cal. is all on fire. I do have a shot from this afternoon. I forgot to upload it to Smugmug although I did email it to my family. I'll upload it and then post it here. My camera is packed up and sitting by my front door with my other valuables waiting to be loaded in the car when we evacuate. I'm praying for all of us.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    Beautifull photos loved the colors
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    As an East coaster, one thing I cannot wrap my head around
    is how these things happen so regularly in a place as populated and modern as SoCal. Forgive me if this is just East Siiiiyyde ignorance. headscratch.gif

Still, the important point of this right now is that the death rate stays low and everyone is safe.

Thanks for documenting and sharing, Nik!
  • JenGraceJenGrace Registered Users Posts: 1,229 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    Wow, amazing shots. That sun looks so alien.
    I hope if anyone here is in SoCal or has friends and family in SoCal that they make it out of this okay.
    Jen

Gallery of mine...caution, it's under CONSTANT construction! | Photo Journal

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. ~Aaron Rose
  • Cuties02qCuties02q Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    Very beautiful shots!!
    Part time photographer...Full time mommy :D

My equiment: Nikon D50, Nikon D300, SB-600, 30mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8

WEBSITE
    BLOG
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    I was watching the Today Show this morning and they were doing a segment fromoutside LA. Being on the east coast, I hadn't paid much attention to how it has gotten out there. Y'all are definitely in my thoughts now. I hope everyone is spared damage but at the very least and most important, be safe. Materials can be replaced andhouse rebuilt but the loss of a loved one is irreplaceable.
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    Nothing new in the Golden State:cry

Early European explorer Cabrillo, stated that when his ship was anchored off shore of San Diago, "The land is all ablaze." This was on Sept 28th 1542 as ashes fell on the deck. The local vegitation here depends upon the heat from the fires to crack the seads which spawn new growth to the Chaparral
    In addition to cleaning off the ash from the fires now burning I spent most of Sunday cleaning my house down from the soot that 80+mph winds kicked up and dropped over Santa Barbara on Sat. The land is truly ablaze!
  • RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    Nothing new in the Golden State:cry

Early European explorer Cabrillo, stated that when his ship was anchored off shore of San Diago, "The land is all ablaze." This was on Sept 28th 1542 as ashes fell on the deck. The local vegitation here depends upon the heat from the fires to crack the seads which spawn new growth to the Chaparral
    In addition to cleaning off the ash from the fires now burning I spent most of Sunday cleaning my house down from the soot that 80+mph winds kicked up and dropped over Santa Barbara on Sat. The land is truly ablaze!

Your stuff/house is not at risk I hope, Marc.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    Link to a cool NASA image showing smoke over the Pacific.

http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/193857main_wildfire_oct22_full.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    Thanks, guys!
    Appreciate your kind wishes and comments! thumb.gif
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    RogersDA wrote:
    Your stuff/house is not at risk I hope, Marc.

David,

So far all the flames are a long ways away, just hope it stays so.

Nik,

I wish I was carrying my camera tonight as the orange sunball was setting over the freeway here in SB making a good shot with that incredible warm light.
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    Don't forget to stop and thank the fire fighters, especially those of us not in harm's way at the moment.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
    edited October 23, 2007
    Nik,
    I wish I was carrying my camera tonight as the orange sunball was setting over the freeway here in SB making a good shot with that incredible warm light.
    Marc,
    judging by how things are going up north of us, we'll have this chance a few more days ne_nau.gif
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    Stay safe everyone. Keeping you all in my thoughts. A couple of my customers and vendors are in San Diego, and have closed businesses to let their staff evacuate, etc.

Again, stay safe!!

ann
  • devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited October 24, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:

Conejo Valley between Malibu and Moorpark fires.

211834822-L.jpg

Nik,

I love this pano, but what's with the 600px linked version, c'mon share the SmugMungous auto lightbox love lol3.gif
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
    edited October 24, 2007
    devbobo wrote:
    Nik,

I love this pano, but what's with the 600px linked version, c'mon share the SmugMungous auto lightbox love lol3.gif
    eek7.gif
    Thanks! thumb.gif
    Hmm, I guess I need to learn how to do that headscratch.gif
  • devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited October 24, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    eek7.gif
    Thanks! thumb.gif
    Hmm, I guess I need to learn how to do that headscratch.gif

Nik, looking at an image in the lightbox defaults to the auto mode now,

ie the extension -A-LB

so, just click the image...and copy the url thumb.gif
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
    edited October 24, 2007
    devbobo wrote:
    Nik, looking at an image in the lightbox defaults to the auto mode now,

ie the extension -A-LB

so, just click the image...and copy the url thumb.gif

Thanks, David, I'll give it a try!
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    I knew there were several different fires again (Rice, Malibu, etc) but didn't realize Moorpark had one. My MIL said Sunday she could see the smoke but I thought she meant from Malibu across the SM Mountains - not across the 101!

Be safe.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    Not Across the 101
    jdryan3 wrote:
    I knew there were several different fires again (Rice, Malibu, etc) but didn't realize Moorpark had one. My MIL said Sunday she could see the smoke but I thought she meant from Malibu across the SM Mountains - not across the 101!

Be safe.

The Fire in Malibu blew the smoke to Westlake/Thousand Oaks
    There was a fire on Sunday, now out, in Santa Rosa Valley - between Moorpark and Thousand Oaks. That's what Nik's image shows.
    The fires were far enough away to be safe but we got all the soot, and gray air...this was in front of my house on Sunday

medium.jpg
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • jzieglerjziegler Registered Users Posts: 420 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    I really like the pics. Such beauty in such an awful situation. The occasional wildfires in the NJ pine barrens are nothing to what you have out there. Stay safe everyone, and thank the firefighters. Let's hope the death counts stay low. Even on the other side of the country, thoughts are with people in CA dealing with these fires.

Regards,
    James
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    schmoo wrote:
    As an East coaster, one thing I cannot wrap my head around
    is how these things happen so regularly in a place as populated and modern as SoCal. Forgive me if this is just East Siiiiyyde ignorance. headscratch.gif

These fires are actually in the wilderness. Over the years the population has spread out from the cities up into the foothills, etc. New development is constantly being built on the edge of and in the middle of the wilderness. Another big factor is that southern California is basically a desert type environment with very little rainfall. Compare the lush green hillsides of the east coast with the brown dry brush of the west and add in 50+ MPH winds. One spark and you have an inferno.

Here is a good video about the fires for you east coasters.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    That photo is amazing.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    BeachBill wrote:
    These fires are actually in the wilderness. Over the years the population has spread out from the cities up into the foothills, etc. New development is constantly being built on the edge of and in the middle of the wilderness. Another big factor is that southern California is basically a desert type environment with very little rainfall. Compare the lush green hillsides of the east coast with the brown dry brush of the west and add in 50+ MPH winds. One spark and you have an inferno.

Here is a good video about the fires for you east coasters.

Gotcha. My knowledge of SoCal is limited to the LA area and the San Diego airport. I didn't know there was still a lot of wilderness around one of the biggest metropolitan areas in the country. thumb.gif
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2007
    I remember the last 2 big rounds of fires around Malibu and the canyons. All the brush burned away which led to erosion - aggravated by some serious rainfall later.

They put those enormous cable 'nets' over the rock to stop the landsides. And put those ocean freighter containers in the PCH to catch the rock as it fell so it wouldn't roll further into the highway. Not all of which was directly related to the fires, but wow. :wow
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac