Options

Getting Rid of Moire through Photoshop 7

ReckedRecked Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited March 14, 2004 in Finishing School
I'm posting this on behalf of my sister, who's had trouble with excess moire recently in her digital photography (Canon EOS 10D, FYI).

How do you get rid of chromatic moire in Photoshop 7? She's had a lot of problems with this, particularly in her subject's hair (she's starting a portrait photography business). I know there are a set of Actions you can buy SOMEWHERE on the internet, but does anyone here know of step-by-step instructions on how to get rid of moire in an image?

Thanks much!

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited March 14, 2004
    Recked wrote:
    I'm posting this on behalf of my sister, who's had trouble with excess moire recently in her digital photography (Canon EOS 10D, FYI).

How do you get rid of chromatic moire in Photoshop 7? She's had a lot of problems with this, particularly in her subject's hair (she's starting a portrait photography business). I know there are a set of Actions you can buy SOMEWHERE on the internet, but does anyone here know of step-by-step instructions on how to get rid of moire in an image?

Thanks much!
    Chromatic Moire'?? - What ISO is she shooting at? Do you mean noise or a true Moire' pattern? If you mean a true Moire' pattern.....

Where does the Moire' appear? In the final print, or on the monitor screen? If on the monitor only, it may be due to the monitor's resolution and not show in the final print. Changing the monitor resolution may help for this.

Moire' usually is seen with scanners scanning half tone ( dotted) print images like in magazines or newspapers and the Moire' pattern appears due to the repetition between the scanners sensors and the half tone dot patterns.

I have not seen Moire' patterns with a 10D in over 5000 natural images. Is your sister shooting in RAW or jpegs? Shooting of dotted or lined images might provoke Moire'.

One way of removing Moire' (like I get with a Nikon CoolPix 995 shooting macro of halftone magazines images) is to blur the jpg image with Gaussian blur and then sharpen with the UnSharp Mask. Both of these tools are in Photoshop 7. Play with these two actions and I think the Moire' will be removed.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin