Another new LPS contestant

FoocharFoochar Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
edited October 23, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
I've been lurking, and very occasionaly posting, on dgrin for about 3 months now. I'm thinking about entering this image in round 15. Any constructive criticism would be appreciated.

211935119-L-LB
Exif
--Travis

Comments

• TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    Yep, start drinking - heavily. rolleyes1.gif

You've already taken the first step - ask for advice and critiques, be open to constructive criticism. While it can be harsh at times, it is also valuable. Lastly, do it because you love to shoot and with the end goal of improving your skills. (otherwise refer to the first comment). Good to have you delurk,
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    Foochar wrote:
    I've been lurking, and very occasionaly posting, on dgrin for about 3 months now. I'm thinking about entering this image in round 15. Any constructive criticism would be appreciated.

3698586#211935119-A-LB
    Exif

Can't see the image. You sure your smugmug has outgoing links enabled?

Edit: i can see it through the link, it's nice, though i would make the copy right text slightly less intrusive, maybe a 25% opacity white text
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • FoocharFoochar Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    Can't see the image. You sure your smugmug has outgoing links enabled?

Yeah, I can't see it either, I thought I had external links enabled, trying to figure out what I did wrong, I've linked to a few images beforeheadscratch.gif
    --Travis
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    Ooops, I didn't realize an image was supposed to be there. Laughing.gif I can't see it either. Maybe I should start drinking less or at least less early. rolleyes1.gif
    edited October 23, 2007
    Foochar wrote:
    Yeah, I can't see it either, I thought I had external links enabled, trying to figure out what I did wrong, I've linked to a few images beforeheadscratch.gif

Think I have it fixed now, copied the image URL wrong...
    --Travis
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    Nice first entry! Definitely in the theme, and take your pick which side...

I'd make the copyright much more subtle, in much smaller white letters. It takes away from the image as is it now.
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
    edited October 23, 2007
    Travis wrote:
    Ooops, I didn't realize an image was supposed to be there. Laughing.gif I can't see it either. Maybe I should start drinking less or at least less early. rolleyes1.gif

Especially now that there are at least the of us with the same name actively participating here on Dgrinwave.gif.
    --Travis
    edited October 23, 2007
    HoofClix wrote:
    Nice first entry! Definitely in the theme, and take your pick which side...

I'd make the copyright much more subtle, in much smaller white letters. It takes away from the image as is it now.

Thanks for the compliment and the advice. Right now I just have it linked to my standard image with my standard watermark in the lower right corner on smugmug. I'm going to get rid of that and do some form of smaller copyright text on the version I post in the entry thread.
    --Travis
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    Welcome De-Lurker.....Egads we are being invaded by "Travis'"...That is scary!!

Nice shot, agree with making copyright a bit smaller and less obtrusive, and remember always...."Resistance is Futile, you will be Assimilated"eek7.gif :ivar Have that drink now, cuz by the end of this, you'll want to pull out your hair.
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    Your silhouette is very nice but seems a bit soft. Was it cropped quite heavily?

Emily
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

edited October 23, 2007
    Your silhouette is very nice but seems a bit soft. Was it cropped quite heavily?

Emily

It is from a single shot, so the vertical was cropped about 50% to get the panormaic aspect ratio that seemed to work for this shot, horizontally was minimally cropped. I shot it using a 70-200 2.8 with a 2x extender so I figure a fair bit of the softness is coming from the extender as well. I was actually about to pack it in for the evening as the light was pretty well gone when I took this shot, so I didn't really have time to get closer and get rid of the extender.
    --Travis
  • HarleyPugsHarleyPugs Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    Nice...
    I would enter it with no problem...

Jon
  • kenlynekenlyne Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    Welcome!! I just recently delurked too even though I had signed up back in June!
    Nice shot--agree about lessening the intensity of the siggy/copyright. Keep on posting :D