Options

Settings

scottphotographyscottphotography Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
edited October 23, 2007 in Technique
When you have two people standing side by side, which auto focus setting is best? Do you use spot or one of the multiple auto focus settings?

Scott:dunno
Also, when you want to focus and recompose your shot, do you first focus on your subject and then recompose?
Scott

Comments

• Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    When you have two people standing side by side, which auto focus setting is best? Do you use spot or one of the multiple auto focus settings?

Scottne_nau.gif
    Also, when you want to focus and recompose your shot, do you first focus on your subject and then recompose?
    Hey Scott,
    I prefer spot since I know where the focus is going to be locked onto. This is subjective though.
    I would say if you wanted to just get a focus lock quick n dirty w/o knowing exactly where the lock is. Go for whatever AF "auto" function you prefer.
    If you want to get a lock knowing exactly where it locks. Go w/ spot.

The one main advantage I see to using spot is having more controll over your DOF and circle of confusion.

In regards to focus recompose question. You definately want to focus, then recompose. It would seem to me to be counter-productive to compose a shot, then have to possibly move your camera to get a AF lock then recompose. This technique is a good example of wanting to use spot focus. Pick the spot, get an AF lock on it, thenn switch to MF and compose.
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    You should pick what you want to be in focus, and put the focus sensor on that. I always pick a person's eyes. If there are two people, then you make sure their eyes are in the same focal plane, or close the apeture down to ensure more depth of the focus, otherwise known above as the 'circle of confusion'

Best to get the focus pt on exactly what you want. Now, I grew up using manual focus cameras, and always did focus and recompose, since in a manual, you are continually focusing anyway. I can't help myself in doing this. However, I do 1) try as best as possible to use a focal pt on my intended object as I have composed the image. I will select the appropriate focal pt as needed. However, 2) if I can not do 1), I will focus and recompose, trying to move my camera as little as possible.

Here s an argument that illustrates why 'focus and recompose' is really a bad idea:

http://visual-vacations.com/Photography/focus-recompose_sucks.htm

and a counter argument from Bob Atkins:
    http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/technical/focus_recompose.html

YMMV
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    Particularly with a crop sensor, the situations where focus and recompose is an issue are few and far between.

For focusing on two people, here is simple trick:

Focus on one person and then switch your lens to manual focus and verify focus on the second person. If they are both in focus, you are good. If they aren't, you need to move the camera either left or right and try again. A little practice and you'll be able to find the right place to stand pretty quickly.