Japanese Obon Festival

LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
edited October 23, 2007 in People
These are photos from an Obon festival that was held locally this summer. Unfortunately, right after I uploaded them on my computer a few months ago, my computer crashed. It's taken so long to recover them and then edit them, I feel a little bad for the bunch. Thought I might make them feel better by placing them here for some company. :D

211779662-M.jpg

211780125-M.jpg

211997631-M.jpg

211998071-M.jpg

212069514-M.jpg

212072565-M.jpg

Rest of the gallery is here.

Thanks for cheering these guys up! :wink

Comments

• heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    Thanks for cheering these guys up! mwink.gif

Funny that you said that- I was just thinking that these people looked incredibly happy!
    Great shots- I especially enjoyed the expression of the Lady in #5- even with her squinty oof eye. She looks genuine in her joy! They really made me smile, as though it was infectious!
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    I love the expressions on their faces! So happy and such lovely colors. Great, punchy PP as well. thumb.gif

Is this an annual event in your neck of the woods? Last year I went all the way up to NY to attend a Japanese festival with my parents, and it was... a long day. I know that maybe traditional Japanese singing and dancing isn't to everyone's taste, but I think it is a beautiful art that is getting harder and harder to find.

Thanks for capturing the spirit of the occasion!
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    Funny that you said that- I was just thinking that these people looked incredibly happy!
    Great shots- I especially enjoyed the expression of the Lady in #5- even with her squinty oof eye. She looks genuine in her joy! They really made me smile, as though it was infectious!

I still remember when I first uploaded these photos (before I lost them) and coming across that one. Her expression was so pure and joyful, it made me grin. She has the most incredible smile! Glad somebody else found it infectious. :D
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    schmoo wrote:
    I love the expressions on their faces! So happy and such lovely colors. Great, punchy PP as well. thumb.gif

Is this an annual event in your neck of the woods? Last year I went all the way up to NY to attend a Japanese festival with my parents, and it was... a long day. I know that maybe traditional Japanese singing and dancing isn't to everyone's taste, but I think it is a beautiful art that is getting harder and harder to find.

Thanks for capturing the spirit of the occasion!

I really punched these up because it just really captured the essence of the celebration. The yukatas were so bright and amazing!

I believe this is annual. It'd be a bit of a trek for you, but not as far as NY! It took place at Ekoji Temple out near Burke, VA (they may have Springfield technically for their address, but it really is closer to Burke). It's a tiny place with a very small parking lot that the festival takes place in, but it was extremely well attended. And a lot of fun. Traditional music, food, and dancing, plus drums! Viewing all the lit candles in the garden at night is beautiful, yet a little sad, as they are to remember family and friends who have passed.

I definitely plan on going again next year. I'll ask my friend when/if they plan to have it next summer (she attends the temple and invited me along).