The Big Picture? Zen-type Question!

KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
edited October 25, 2007 in Sports
I'm rather new to serious sports photography (as some of you are well aware!). I'm not a pro, and my passion is shooting my kids' events although I shoot all the action at those events, whether my kids are involved or not. My question for seasoned shooters is this -- do you get to the point where, after shooting an entire game, you (a) have tons of great shots and (b) could go sit down over a beer and discuss the game as a fan? Or is it that even after the camera becomes an extension of your hand and brain, you are still so focused on the "photo op" that you never get the big picture? I don't want to lose out on (b) -- that would defeat the whole purpose!

Comments

• PineapplePhotoPineapplePhoto Registered Users Posts: 474 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    I would get some good shots... but I am always second guessing myself (no chimping) thinking, I didn't get it and if I did, I need more.

I don't drink beer... but I do find myself mostly absorbed into getting the images and not minding the "big picture" all that much... it is a fine line though... I know when the game is a tie breaker, I know who the captains are, and who may get emotional... but all of that in order to get a good shot.
    Body: Canon 1D Mark II N | Canon 30D w/BG-E2 Flash: Canon 580EX II | Quantum T4d | Strobes & Monolights
    Glass: Sigma 70-200 f2.8 | Sigma 20 f1.8 | Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    (a) hopefully yes, I'd have a bunch of great shots

(b) I don't drink beer, but I wouldn't have time to go to a bar anyway. Have to PP pictures, upload, etc... People want to see their pics within 24 hours of an event, and after that your sales will seriously slide. And depending on the event, 500 - 1200 pictures takes a while to go through.

(b-part 2) I have people come up to me all the time and say "wasn't that great? - amazing", and I look at them like, what the heck are you talking about.

I'm so focused on getting the shots, I honestly don't even "see" the event. I've shot some PBR rides that people claim were the best rides they've ever seen, and I didn't have a clue. I got the great shot(s), but I couldn't take in the ride.

It's funny, people say "how could you not see it, you took pictures of it"?

Again, I'm so focused on my job, I can't also take in the "whole event".
    Randy
  • kuzzykuzzy Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    I find that when I am shooting at one of my son's games I still am able to focus on the big picture. In fact, that is what I do most and taking pictures is secondary. When I am at another event, not involving my kids, I tend to be more focused on the photo's and less on the big picture. I think that unless you are at least somewhat aware of the big picture, the "game situation", you will rarely have a chance for that most important/meaningful/exciting shot that really tells a story. I have not been doing this forever but I do not think this will change.

However, I am there first and foremost to support my own children in their endeavors and the pictures come second. That is just the way it is.
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    I find myself appreciating the event while looking through the pictures more than the event itself. Although, I covered a volleyball game last week that was pretty intense and I found myself watching the game more than taking pictures. Luckily, the only picture I needed was the celebration picture after the big win because my action pictures were lacking as I didn't have as many to pic from.
  • natephotonatephoto Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    When shooting a sporting event, it's important to know the big picture as you are shooting. For example, when shooting a high school or pop warner football game, it's important to know what down it is, what the play looks like and where the action might take place. Right after a touchdown, you might want to take photos of fans to get their reactions.

Try shooting with both eyes... (one in the view finder and the other open for a bigger picture).. It can get confusing [and give you a headache], but try it before and after a play. (or in an ongoing sport like soccer, just don't look through the lense the whole time, wait for the action to come right in front of you (especially if using a smaller lens).

Nate

p.s. delete as you go if you can to avoid tons of post production time.
    --
    _:nod Nate____
    Canon 1D Mark II N . Canon 20D . Canon Digital Rebel Xti .
    Speedlite 430 EX .
    Canon : 18-55 kit, 75-300 IS, 70-200 IS f/2.8 L .
  • KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    natephoto wrote:
    p.s. delete as you go if you can to avoid tons of post production time.

My LCD is useless to me during an event -- everything looks terrific without my reading glasses!
    edited October 24, 2007
    rwells wrote:
    Again, I'm so focused on my job, I can't also take in the "whole event".
    Hopefully that will turn out to be the difference between you and me -- it's your job, and for me it's my kids (assuming you don't have a son up on one of those beasts). As you of all people well know, if this were my job I might be in trouble!

I watch PBR from time to time -- from now on I will be looking for you!
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2007
    KED wrote:
    I watch P B R from time to time -- from now on I will be looking for you!

I just canceled my credentials to shoot the P B R World Finals in Vegas next week. :cry Would have been in the arena and on TV and all.

Had a conflict with scheduled events. Even though the event I decided to shoot this next week isn't a big, National Pro Sports Event , they depend on me and I promised I'd be there for them.

Oh well...

My word is all I really own, and that's one thing I don't want to screw up.
    Randy
  • time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2007
    KED wrote:
    I'm rather new to serious sports photography (as some of you are well aware!). I'm not a pro, and my passion is shooting my kids' events although I shoot all the action at those events, whether my kids are involved or not. My question for seasoned shooters is this -- do you get to the point where, after shooting an entire game, you (a) have tons of great shots and (b) could go sit down over a beer and discuss the game as a fan? Or is it that even after the camera becomes an extension of your hand and brain, you are still so focused on the "photo op" that you never get the big picture? I don't want to lose out on (b) -- that would defeat the whole purpose!

I keep in mind that forty years from now our kids will be showing themselves to their grandkids.

You miss the big picture most times, as an individual game, but if you all sit infront of the tv with a slideshow, my kids fill me in on the other action.

You may be sacrificing some of your current memories, but than again you may be creating several for generations to come.
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
    edited October 25, 2007
    rwells wrote:
    I just canceled my credentials to shoot the P B R World Finals in Vegas next week. :cry Would have been in the arena and on TV and all.

Had a conflict with scheduled events. Even though the event I decided to shoot this next week isn't a big, National Pro Sports Event , they depend on me and I promised I'd be there for them.

Oh well...

My word is all I really own, and that's one thing I don't want to screw up.
    Reputation and credibility are everything! Hope at least that you can Tivo the PBR!