Getting the shot in snowy New England

david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
edited March 6, 2005 in People
My daughter and I drove over to the Wildlife Refuge at Plum Island, Mass today, in search of birds. We had zero opportunities to shoot anything, we saw a Snowy Owl and a seal, both too far for my wimpy 70-300 Sigma lens.

We did find a tiny snowman that someone had made by the trail, so my daughter made him a friend.

Here she is taking a photo of the pair of them. I'd left my bag with my other lenses in the car and this was as much as I could fit in at 70 mm. I rather like the composition though, what do you think?

16958401-L.jpg

Comments

• TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2005
    I think it's a great shot. True dedication to getting the shot on her part. Good colors, sharpness, and lighting.
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 5, 2005
    Too bad about your luck. I've been hearing all about the snowy owls on plum island... actually saw some great shots today taken with one of the first D2X's in Mass. I gotta get down there...
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2005
    Nice shot David!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2005
    Thanks for the comments guys.

DoctorIT, I had also heard about the owls which was one of the reasons we went to Plum Island. If I'm going to photograph any, I'm going to have to be either very lucky, or get a super long lens. It seems they spend the daytime sitting near the tops of the dikes, mainly in areas with no access. (I suspect those areas are closed just for that reason).

We are new to this area and I'm looking forward to visiting PI again in the spring when the migrating birds arrive.

Nir, you live in one of the few parts of the world I've never gotten to and where I really want to visit. Your pictures are great, I love your many faces of Jerusalem. Your Auschwitz gallery is amazingly powerful.