Options

My First Wedding Shots

cmbe1cmbe1 Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
edited October 30, 2007 in Weddings
Photos from the first wedding I've taken my d200 to.

Comments

• Options
    edited October 24, 2007
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2007
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2007
    ---
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2007
    ----
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2007
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2007
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2007
    -- -- --
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2007
    - - - -
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2007
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2007
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2007
    and finally, both these pics were accidental!, I meant to use the flash but it shot them without... thanks to the d200 being so brilliant... it took these lovely shots for me... i just held the camera... the d200 did the rest!
  • Options
    thegridrunnerthegridrunner Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    you have some really nice pictures there, I like the last one and the candid shots. Keep it up! thumb.gif
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    Good stuff - keep it up!
    I think you've done well with these. Were you the primary or ...?

Here's some comments

#2 - just a bit dark?
    #4 - Flare is killing this one
    #7 - Love the expression on the bride's maid(?) face. Nice capture
    #8 - Setting your white balance, either in camera (CWB) or in post will greatly improve this shot. A little warmth is nice, but this is just a huge color cast.
    #9 - Nice!
    #10 - Even better. Good timing! And, you don't have a lot of light fall off from the flash. Well done!
    #11 - Love the mood of this one. Maybe a little lighter would be better?
    #12 - Same here, and color cast is an issue. Cool it just a bit, but not all the way to "right" to keep some of the mood of the moment and I think you'll have a winner!
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    I was going to comment on white balance and color cast issues, but I think Scott gave you some good advice already. Otherwise, very nicely done!!!
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2007
    help please!

what does colour cast mean please? (apologies...
    still v much learning)

do you mean too much orange/warmth?

thanks. i'll sit with photoshop and play
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2007
    cmbe1 wrote:
    help please!

what does colour cast mean please? (apologies...
    still v much learning)

do you mean too much orange/warmth?

thanks. i'll sit with photoshop and play
    In a word - yup!

Here's a link to a quick definition - (link)
  • Options
    MichaelKirkMichaelKirk Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2007
    My opinion
    I think the best C&C is not one that pats you on the back so to speak - but helps you to improve...a kind of kick in the butt. Personally - and don't be offended - not a single shot shown here strikes me as anthing more than someone who was shooting from the wedding audience. Under exposed, backs of peoples head, cropping seems off, white balance iw way off on a few, etc. Maybe you have some better images, but I would assume you are showing your best here.

My suggestion would be to start hanging out on some pro wedding forums and see the kind of work, poses, lighting etc that they are using and capturing - seeing others examples is the best learning tool.

........now don't kill the messenger - it's just my opinion. I do not shoot weddings so I cannot go into any specifics for helping you. I did shoot one wedding as a guest and had some ok results for my first attempt
    http://www.mlkimages.smugmug.com/gallery/2442095#P-8-15

in fact the wedding man himself thought they were ok enough to as me to do a write-up for his website:
    http://www.dembflashproducts.com/flipit/kirk/

......and I was just asked this past week to shoot a wedding for someone - which I turned down - as I do not think I have the experience to be ready to shoot weddings just yet.

Give it time and you will develop a style and improve.

Michael

added...looking back at your photos a 2nd time - not sure what lens you are using nor did I look at your exif info, but every photo looks like it was shot at f11 or somewhere close. You really should focus on a shallow depth of field to bring more attention to the subject matter. Try shooting some at f2.0, 2.8, 3.1 and see how you subject will become the attention getter in the photo and not all the distracting BG clutter.

I also shoot with a D200 and know it's potential - these are not reaching the capabilities of the D200.

cmbe1 wrote:
    and finally, both these pics were accidental!, I meant to use the flash but it shot them without... thanks to the d200 being so brilliant... it took these lovely shots for me... i just held the camera... the d200 did the rest!
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2007
    thank you.

I've gone from an F60 that i was just about in control of (but with no external flash... i could never afford the film and processing to play with the settings) to the super technical D200 with an 18-200mm VR lens and a SB-600.

I am nowhere near understanding it. I could make do with a d40 right now and be perfectly fine. But I want to get better. I've printed off your advice and will sit down and play.

So much to learn...

and shoot the messenger? hell no... i'll thank him. so thank you
  • Options
    MichaelKirkMichaelKirk Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    Learn to shoot manual
    Sit down and learn about your camera - you should know your camera inside and and know how to shoot in "Manual" including your flash. Shooting in manual can save many photos that get ruined shooting in AV or S mode. This will also give you an understanding of lighting conditions and the limitations of the cameras metering. Once you have this understanding, you will know when to shoot in a priority mode and be safe or when you will need to switch to manual.

Good luck,
    Michael

cmbe1 wrote:
    thank you.

I've gone from an F60 that i was just about in control of (but with no external flash... i could never afford the film and processing to play with the settings) to the super technical D200 with an 18-200mm VR lens and a SB-600.

I am nowhere near understanding it. I could make do with a d40 right now and be perfectly fine. But I want to get better. I've printed off your advice and will sit down and play.

So much to learn...

and shoot the messenger? hell no... i'll thank him. so thank you