LPS 15: My neighborhood is burning!

FeliciaFelicia Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
edited October 24, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
I didn't even consider entering a shot from the So. Cal. fires until I went out and shot this from my street yesterday. What do you think? Should I keep shooting?

Option 1
212326009-L.jpg

Option 2
212319511-L.jpg

Option 3
212320336-L.jpg

Option 4
212320847-L.jpg

Option 5
212317819-L.jpg
"Just because no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist."

www.feliciabphotography.com

Comments

• TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    Ummmm Felicia, I think shooting would possibly be the last thing on my mind. You know, when you get a sunburn at night, it may be time to think of packing the bags and heading for some place a lot less like Dante's Inferno. :D

But since you are there and do have a camera, #1 is the image. thumb.gif It is an amazingly scary shot. I don't now how it works with the theme though since it is not overtly colorful nor monochromatic. #2 fits the monochrome theme; however, either you need to adjust the b&w conversion or b&w just doesn't do it justice. headscratch.gif

#3 seems very noisy. #4 is a good capture but it doesn't have the impact of #1. In the first, you get a true sense of the danger. #5 just doesn't do it.

And just so you know, we stil have plenty of room out here on the east coast if your family decides to move somewhere less toasty. We are secretly using the fires recruit west coast photography talent to the right side so that we have people to go out a shoot with!

Stay safe!
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    Most important, I hope you, your family and your home are all OK. What a terrible, frightening situation for everyone. It is hard to fathom to those of us watching from afar.

Your photos are gripping. I think #1 would do well for the challenge. To my eye, it is nearly (and naturally) monocromatic since the fires give almost everything a sepia cast. You might want to consider adding a deep orange-yellow or sepia filter selectively to the lower part of the photograph to tint the car and the lit areas enough to play on the colors that Mother Nature on a ramage has provided.

Virginia

Email
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    What Travis said. #1 really has the impact. #4 is close, but just not as gripping as #1.

Stay safe!
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Most important, I hope you, your family and your home are all OK. What a terrible, frightening situation for everyone. It is hard to fathom to those of us watching from afar.

Your photos are gripping. I think #1 would do well for the challenge. To my eye, it is nearly (and naturally) monocromatic since the fires give almost everything a sepia cast. You might want to consider adding a deep orange-yellow or sepia filter selectively to the lower part of the photograph to tint the car and the lit areas enough to play on the colors that Mother Nature on a ramage has provided.

Virginia
    15524779-Ti.gif or #4, which is an amazing shot too!
    Sending prayers your way...
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    Journalisticly #1 is better, but visually I think i like #4 better.

Stay safe.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • FeliciaFelicia Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    Thanks for your comments and prayers, everyone! We are all okay so far. In fact, my oldest is in school again today even though some schools in the district have closed. However, we've got our emergency bags packed and ready to go should the need arise. I'm surprised at how quickly I've emotionally detached myself from my possessions. While I love where I live and my neighborhood, I don't have the slightest hesitation to leave it all behind at the drop of a hat. Hey, Travis, we might be going to your neck of the woods after all... mwink.gif

• HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    Journalisticly #1 is better, but visually I think i like #4 better.

Stay safe.

First of all, don't play around on this one, Felicia... I, we all, hope you escape the disaster.

Second, I agree with pyro, that for the contest, #4 is a better image to fit the theme.... OR, for number 1, crop out all of the image from the top of the street light down. For that one, the bottom half is journalistically what needed to be shot, but it kills the image as far as the theme goes...
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
    edited October 24, 2007
    Thanks for your comments, Mark!

I'm confident we are going to be well through this disaster. I'm not so sure about my home or property. But, as I've said before, if it burns, it burns. Our possessions are things, and things are replaceable. People aren't. Believe it or not, I'm actually more concerned about the firefighters risking their lives to battles these fires than I am about my things...

• TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    Felicia, I know we photographers are dedicated, and unless your going for that Photojournalistic capture....GET OUT OF THERE...isn't it time for you and family to take a VACATION or perhaps visit some family....

Ooops I was so overwhelmed for your safety, I forgot to say...

I would go with #4....that little patch of city lights surrounded by all of Mother Nature's Wrath is INTENSE...as the commercial says..."It is Not Nice To Fool With Mother Nature"....(Sheesh, I gotta stop watching TV)..Laughing.gif

Please above all....BE SAFE...Florida is a Nice Place...a few hurricanes here and there...but nice...Laughing.gif
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    Felicia, first of all I am glad you and your family are safe and have a great attitude about the possibility of losing your home. You are so right....one of the upsetting things about this arson-set fire is that young firefighters (many whom are Dads) are out there risking their lives. I'm so greatful the winds have quieted down, that is what has been so nerve-wracking! I live in Orange in an area in line with the canyons. I've been driving to work with all my important possessions (camera gear and photos basically!!!) tucked in my little car with enough room for me and my elderly dogs which also have been coming to work with me as they are sorta stressed! I hope all ends well for you and your family.

Photo wise..............I really like #4 as it just shows the imensity of the fire. It is hard for me to separate theme from reality, but the color ones work best for me and look monochromatic. Like most landscapes, they never quite live up to what it's really like to see something this huge. I'm sure it must be an amazing sight from where you are shooting. Be safe first, but I sure would keep shooting and experimenting with different gear. Hang in there!
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    I'm torn between #1 and #4.

#4 is more aesthetically pleasing, but #1 really brings the disaster "home".

But what's most important is that you stay stafe. My nephew lives in the San Clemente area and he just emailed me to let me know that the winds in his area have subsided somewhat. I'm praying that they continue to subside.
    edited October 24, 2007
    Is this better for being in theme and more impactful?

212458569-L.jpg

• FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    Yes. I think you have nailed it. The tonality is great. I agree with those who liked this view better than your original #1. This is also a powerful photo and does best for the theme'

I am impressed by your attitude but hope you don't have to leave your possessions behind. Good luck on all fronts.

Virginia

Email
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    Felicia wrote:
    Is this better for being in theme and more impactful?

Ya done good! thumb.gif
  • thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    Hi Felicia,

Great entry and stay safe!

Charlie
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    I like the last one best.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
    edited October 24, 2007
    Tentacion wrote:
    Felicia, I know we photographers are dedicated, and unless your going for that Photojournalistic capture....GET OUT OF THERE...isn't it time for you and family to take a VACATION or perhaps visit some family....

Ooops I was so overwhelmed for your safety, I forgot to say...

I would go with #4....that little patch of city lights surrounded by all of Mother Nature's Wrath is INTENSE...as the commercial says..."It is Not Nice To Fool With Mother Nature"....(Sheesh, I gotta stop watching TV)..Laughing.gif

Please above all....BE SAFE...Florida is a Nice Place...a few hurricanes here and there...but nice...Laughing.gif

Ahhhh, you Floridians are so hospitable (and Virginians, too, Travis!)! My cousin who lives in FL keeps telling me the same thing.

That little patch of city lights is actually another front of the fire burning behind the mountain.

So far, so good with the firefighting in this area. Unfortunately, there have been several homes lost. Apparently, a lot of the other fires in the So. Cal. area are under moderate control, and many resources have been diverted to our area. There were 3 helicopters hovering over our house, which is next to a Regional Park wild area, circling overhead pretty much the entire day. I had to escape to a mall just to get out and walk around a little bit and not smell smoke.

• TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    Felicia wrote:
    Ahhhh, you Floridians are so hospitable (and Virginians, too, Travis!)! My cousin who lives in FL keeps telling me the same thing.

That little patch of city lights is actually another front of the fire burning behind the mountain.

So far, so good with the firefighting in this area. Unfortunately, there have been several homes lost. Apparently, a lot of the other fires in the So. Cal. area are under moderate control, and many resources have been diverted to our area. There were 3 helicopters hovering over our house, which is next to a Regional Park wild area, circling overhead pretty much the entire day. I had to escape to a mall just to get out and walk around a little bit and not smell smoke.

I'll make up the spare bedroom! :D Just give me an hours notice.