Canon 40D review is up at DPreview!

Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
edited October 24, 2007 in Cameras

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited October 24, 2007

Thanks, I was hoping for this.

I am greatly encouraged that the "Highlight Tone Priority" is working and that dynamic range has been extended, possibly as a result of the Digic III processor and 14 bit processing. ISO 3200 looks very usable and ISO 100-1600 are extremely similar in tonality. No need to fear any ISO setting with this camera.

Also welcome are ISO indications in the viewfinder and LCD display (no more excuses for "forgetting" the ISO and being in the wrong sensitivity for the scene. I know this has been mentioned previously, but I thought it deserved another reminder.)

I suspect this camera will be a "must buy" for me and my style of shooting. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited October 24, 2007
    Ziggy, what did you make about the comment that JPG has wider dynamic range on this camera than does RAW? I thought that was curious.

Cheers,
    -joel
    edited October 24, 2007
    kdog wrote:
    Ziggy, what did you make about the comment that JPG has wider dynamic range on this camera than does RAW? I thought that was curious.

Cheers,
    -joel

(Page 20, "Photographic Tests", for those of you following along.)

Note that that test was using ACR "default" settings. Testing with ACR settings of: "Exp. -1.0 EV, Shadows 0, Bright. 70, Contrast -50, Curve Linear" produced considerably better results.

ACR may have to be tweaked.

They did not test with Canon's DPP, which might (probably) yield different results.
    ziggy53
    edited October 24, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:

Note that that test was using ACR "default" settings. Testing with ACR settings of: "Exp. -1.0 EV, Shadows 0, Bright. 70, Contrast -50, Curve Linear" produced considerably better results.

They did not test with Canon's DPP, which might (probably) yield different results.

They did achieve almost 11 stops of dynamic range, which is rather nice. mwink.gif
    ziggy53
  • sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    glad ive got one in my case ;)
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    sirsloop wrote:
    glad ive got one in my case ;)

:D

What would we have done if Phil didn't like the 40D!? rolleyes1.gif
  • sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    IDK how he could dislike it?? rolleyes1.gif
  • TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    I know. It's soooo purty. iloveyou.gif
    Terrence

My photos

"The future is an illusion, but a damned handy one." - David Allen
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited October 24, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:

Thanks, Ziggy! I was counting on you to straighten me out. thumb.gif

I read that part of the review too quickly and misunderstood the point. It's kind of a silly point at that it seems. Who cares what the ACR default setting got? ne_nau.gif

What matters is that by manually setting the ACR you can get up to 11 stops of dynamic range. eek7.gifbarb