Santiago Fires

scottVscottV Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
edited October 25, 2007 in Landscapes
Went out Monday pretty much all day and then yesterday after work.

211676500-L.jpg
1. Sunrise

211679857-L.jpg
2. At least it hadn't been built yet.

211680884-L.jpg
3. Ground cover burning

211683217-L.jpg
4. The ground was so hot all around, I thought my shoes were going to melt.

211684162-L.jpg
5. Protection

211689069-L.jpg
6. Water drop

211674542-L.jpg
7. Approaching homes in Foothill Ranch

212284233-L.jpg
8. Portola Hills

212294195-XL.jpg
9. Pano

212293945-XL.jpg
10. Pano2

212283095-L.jpg
11. All home survived

212293075-XL.jpg
12. Final Pano

Full galleries are here:
http://scottvickers.smugmug.com/gallery/3696410
and here:
http://scottvickers.smugmug.com/gallery/3705075

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    Scott,

This are a truly stunning set of the tragedy out there. I can't thank you enough for bringing the context of the situation to us here, who are spread out all across the country and the world. It's one thing to hear about it, another to see mediocre footage on the internet, and something else entirely to have it documented by a caring photographer.

This is some amazing photojournaling (is that a word?). This one haunts me, as I can't tell what is lamplight and what is fire.

212283095-S.jpg
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    Scott,

Thanks for posting these (and taking the time to go shoot them). This is in my old backyard. My office (at Technology and Barranca) closed down today for the second time this week due to the smoke. They have never had an emergency closing at this location in the almost 14 years that I've worked there, and now two in one week, so it's got to be really bad.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • scottVscottV Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    schmoo wrote:
    Scott,

This are a truly stunning set of the tragedy out there. I can't thank you enough for bringing the context of the situation to us here, who are spread out all across the country and the world. It's one thing to hear about it, another to see mediocre footage on the internet, and something else entirely to have it documented by a caring photographer.

This is some amazing photojournaling (is that a word?). This one haunts me, as I can't tell what is lamplight and what is fire.

212283095-S.jpg
    wow, thanks schmoo thumb.gif
    edited October 24, 2007
    BeachBill wrote:
    Scott,

Thanks for posting these (and taking the time to go shoot them). This is in my old backyard. My office (at Technology and Barranca) closed down today for the second time this week due to the smoke. They have never had an emergency closing at this location in the almost 14 years that I've worked there, and now two in one week, so it's got to be really bad.

lol, i am sitting at work on technology & baranca right now, smokey in the office but we are still chained to our cubes. Driving into the spectrum area this morning was like hitting a gross orange & brown fog bank.
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    Wow... that's the most sobering set of photos I've seen on the forums I frequent. Especially the one of the plants on the street -- and the sign announcing new development with the smoke in front of it.

You have a great journalistic eye, and your photos are beautiful -- very frightening subject though.
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    Oh, and by the way, the saddest part about this specific fire is that it was arson. Someone deliberately started this fire Sunday night and now at least nine homes have been completely destroyed because of it.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    Very sad i hope everyone remians safe

Great photos
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited October 24, 2007
    thanks Dee & Awais.
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    #7 & #8 look ominous, especially with the firetrucks in the driveway.

But #10 almost looks like volcanos at sunset, with steam pouring out. Great shot. Too bad about the circumstances.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    I'm not sure if it was this fire, I heard a little while ago they shot dead one of the 'suspected' arsonists as he tried to run away.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2007
    Wow, some excellent shots. But this is is really special, in a very frightening way.

212283095-S.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2007
    Wow. Frightening is right. That's a pretty high price area to burn right there. How's the firefighting efforts going, are they doing well saving those homes?
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
    edited October 25, 2007
    coldclimb wrote:
    Wow. Frightening is right. That's a pretty high price area to burn right there. How's the firefighting efforts going, are they doing well saving those homes?
    The homes in the bigger neighborhoods portola springs, portola hills, and foothill ranch have all survived. Homes back in the canyon on the other side of the hill haven't been so lucky.
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2007
    Incredble images Scott! Your tallented imagery tells the story so very well.
    edited October 25, 2007
    Incredble images Scott! Your tallented imagery tells the story so very well.
    thanks marc!
  • JenGraceJenGrace Registered Users Posts: 1,229 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2007
    I can only add my praises to everyone else's... Such a sad situation. :(:
    Jen

Gallery of mine...caution, it's under CONSTANT construction! | Photo Journal

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. ~Aaron Rose
  • Aaron JorsAaron Jors Registered Users Posts: 470 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2007
    Scott very nice photojournalism shots of terrible events. I wish the best for everyone who is experiencing the fires first hand.