Family Session: State Street

kmhkmh Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
edited October 29, 2007 in People
I would love any honest c/c -- thanks for looking!

212044763-M.jpg

212048766-M.jpg

212049139-M.jpg

Comments

• FoocharFoochar Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    Just seeing red x boxes. Are external links possibly turned off?
    --Travis
  • kmhkmh Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    Oops, you're right! I've got it fixed now.
    -Kate
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    wow!
    Really nice photos- I am interested in your background for 1. Is that yours or something you just happened upon? Great colors and drapy feel. I love the dof in all of them- excellent. That and they are all really interesting. Most family shots you just glance and get the whole picture in the first passover and these you have to look a couple of times to get all the details. Really good shots! I enjoyed these a bunch!clap.gif
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    I like the way the photos look very spontaneus mwink.gif and not posed even w/ the first one.

But you have to watch out for cropping out certain things like the jumping shot, cropping out certain body parts and especially parts of the face is a no-no, sometimes it works, but not in the last shot you provided. Lastly, watch out for blown out highlights of whites, though I love it when fotos 'pop' there is a limit to a pop in which you should find that is a clear balance between bold and coloful yet still full of details.

Overall a cool series though, just a few tweaks next time and you will have a strong set of fotos that can rival other photographers I've seen who still cant grasp an eye. I think you're def on the right track though.

Just really watchout where to crop, I always said, its better to have a lot of dead space in a foto then crop later than crop too close in the camera and get screwed when you miss certain parts, when you get a better hang of it, get closer but when its candid shots, there's less room for mistakes soits best to shoot far (its always harder when you're using a prime lens as I would guess you were using a 50 1.4 1.8 on some of these), but with a zoom like a 24-70 or what not, its always nice to grab more than you need as in bg space and pp later, especially when its a big dollar client.

Anyways, I really liked the series. I also just looked through your gallery, lots of great candids. You're really good at that. I really have to catch up on those types of fotos when I find the time haha, they're always the funnest and most fulfilling types of portraits to be doing.

Wish you all the luck, hope to see more series soon. ;)
  • Deadeye008Deadeye008 Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    Very nice. Awesome color and clarity. Do the faces in 2 and 3 seem a little blown out? Maybe it's just me... Great job anyhow.
  • binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    Deadeye008 wrote:
    Very nice. Awesome color and clarity. Do the faces in 2 and 3 seem a little blown out? Maybe it's just me... Great job anyhow.

15524779-Ti.gif they look way overexposed to me. i love the expressions you captured, but these are definitely blown out.
  • BertWagnerBertWagner Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited October 25, 2007
    I really like the compositions for the first and second shots. Like everyone else has been saying so far, the poses are great! One thing that I dislike is the overexposure on the second and third shots: you ended up losing many details in the faces. Also, maybe cropping the third shot so it's just the younger child might make it better.
    edited October 26, 2007
    Thanks for all the feedback. I really appreciate it!

Heather -- the backdrop was in an art building downtown. We were on a glass-walled stairwell, and that was hanging there. It was actually the client's idea to use that as a backdrop.

As far as the images being blown out, I've used washout filters on all of these plus some tweaking. I like the effect -- sometimes. I'll go back and rework them to get more detail...

As far as the cropping issue -- it's unconventional I know, and doesn't follow the "rules", but I actually do it a lot...another example (also with washout filter):

126431056-M.jpg
  • gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2007
    kmh wrote:
    As far as the cropping issue -- it's unconventional I know, and doesn't follow the "rules", but I actually do it a lot...another example (also with washout filter):
    Great set, full of life and personality!
    The cropping & washout works for me thumb.gif
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2007
    gubbs wrote:
    Great set, full of life and personality!
    The cropping & washout works for me thumb.gif
    So do i...refreshing photos. Great looking family.
  • k2butterk2butter Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2007
    This is a great set of photos, I would be THRILLED with some family shots like this, what a great looking family though, all are photogenic!
  • MichaelKirkMichaelKirk Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2007
    Almost....
    I like the effect and style, but they are "washed out" just a bit too much for my taste.

Is there info out there for the filter you are using? Website? I'd love to take a look at it. I assume it is a plugin for CS2/3? I really need to get off my a$$ and switch from PSP XI to PS3.

Michael

kmh wrote:
    I would love any honest c/c -- thanks for looking!

212044763-M.jpg
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2007
    I like this set very, very much! The group shot is wonderful. I just love how relaxed and unposed they appear. I like to use the washed out look occasionally, and I think you've done a great job!
    edited October 27, 2007
    Thanks everyone so much for the feedback! Michael -- yes, they are PS filters. Here's the link: http://kubotaworkshops.com/store/catalog/index.html

I toned down the filter a bit and do think it looks better:

213579344-M.jpg
    edited October 27, 2007
    Filter info
    Can you post some info on the filter you are using. Is it a plug in?

Thanks,
    Michael
  • Ike615Ike615 Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited October 27, 2007
    your CC is excellent. Only thing I have to offer is bring down the exposure a bit on the photos, even more than you did the second go around (just a tiny bit). Stellar images though. You definitely know how to make your photos pop in PS.

- Isaac
    Isaac Lane Koval
    www.kovalproductions.com
    Canon 5D & 30D:
    24-70mm f2.8L, 70-200mm f2.8L IS, 70-200 f4L, 85mm f.1.2L II, 35mm f1.4L, 28-135mm f.3.5-5.6 IS, 580EX

edited October 29, 2007
    Thanks for the link..
    I took a look at the website you linked and all the filters are sold in packages....I am not sure which is the exact one you are using. Any chance you can let me/us know the exact filter name as listed on the website. I plan on buying CS3 soon and will probably add this to the purchase as well.

Thanks,
    Michael

kmh wrote:
    Thanks everyone so much for the feedback! Michael -- yes, they are PS filters. Here's the link: http://kubotaworkshops.com/store/catalog/index.html

I toned down the filter a bit and do think it looks better:

213579344-M.jpg