Options

May I Introduce Frank

bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
edited March 6, 2005 in People
Wanted to share this shot of Frank. He is 91 and still puts in decent days work. Frank is one of a handful of Iowa Jima survivors (looking forward to his reunion in June). He also had a hands on involvement with delivering the package (his term) to the "Enola Gay".

I also thought I might start a "Show us your Vet" thread, or something like that. I also wanted to chk out the tag line for showing EXIF data, I like that :thumb. And lastly please feel free to comment on my 1st attempts at using curves, or any other aspect of this image I could improve upon :dunno

Here's the shot, click on photo for EXIF
16960602-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2005
    Almost perfect composition. Wondeful subject. I would like to see his eyes, but I understand why that is hard in this case.

As for post processing, the idea of curves is to make the curves steep where there is detail you want to emphasize. In this case, the man's face and the sparks. In this case the face is a bit flat and the sparks could be more dramatic. If you have some recent full PS, you can convert to LAB and use the L curve. This controls only lumonosity (brightness) and is totally orthogonal to color. If you are not worried about color per se, this is really easier than working in RGB or CMYK. Try using the sharpening tool on the sparks to make them jump.

I got this, but you can no doubt do better starting with the original.

16983780-L.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    CosmicCosmic Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2005
    Nice capture! thumb.gif I like what rutt did with the curves on this shot though. I do like the fact that you can't see his eyes, IMO. He's deep in concentration on what he's doing.. I like that. Good job!

~Heidi~
    Lead me not into Temptation. I can find the way myself....

• Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2005
    Wow, Thanks

Rutt: Perfect, you did what I was trying. Exactly what I thought, how to make his face, hands and sparks pop! I will copy another original and have at it. Thanks again for your help and advice. By the way I use PS7 does it have what I need?

Cosmic: I really tried for the eyes, I was almost lying on the floor to get this shot. Deep Concentration...........headscratch.gif, do you think it's worthy of #33?

Thanks again, this forum has in the short time I've been here, been sooooooooo helpful. Just looking at all of your works is great inspriation, and a little envious sometimes thumb.gifclap