I think this is closing the door after the horse gets out

noniknamnoniknam Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
edited October 26, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Nothing like asking for critiques AFTER you have posted the image :dunno
I posted this one and was told it looked flat. I tried jacking up the color on the leaf but for some reason once it gets to smugmug it seems flat again - or maybe it's just my eyes getting tired of looking at it:scratch What I liked most about this shot is that it wasn't set up. I was walking along and there was the theme right at my feet. It seemed to be both themes at once to me.

Also... still a newbie around here and am not sure what can and can't be done. When i uploaded the "corrected" image I used the "replace" function in my gallery tools. Does this do what it seems like it should and replace the old with the new keeping all link/ID info the same? Do I have to edit anything in my original entry post?

Thanks for all critiques, and help

"Leaf Me Alone"
210911013-L-1.jpg

Comments

• LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    The red/orange leaf certainly "pops" for me. thumb.gif What doesn't grab me, however, is the composition. I'm not one of those who's a stickler for never centering anything, but it just isn't working for me here. Is this cropped down from a larger shot? Perhaps try another crop, or even one closer in. ne_nau.gif
  • RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    FYI: You can always edit your own post to either a) delete the post or b) change the text or the image link. Your entry is --never-- final until after the closing date.

Your reds are much nicer in this version. You image entry appears to be the same as the one above, but you should check anyway by editing your post.

One thing that I find a bit odd is the overall flatness of the image; flat leaves on a flat surface shot straight-on. But, that may be just me. Finally, the left leaf is competing for attention with the background. It does not really stand out here (maybe due to the backgound's sharpness and similar color tone).
  • noniknamnoniknam Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    Nope it's not cropped - it's as is. Actually I usually DONT center things :D. I will try some different crops... I just didn't want to lose the mono and colorful themes that seemed to be naturally occurring.

Thanks for the input!
    edited October 24, 2007
    RogersDA wrote:
    One thing that I find a bit odd is the overall flatness of the image; flat leaves on a flat surface shot straight-on. But, that may be just me. Finally, the left leaf is competing for attention with the background. It does not really stand out here (maybe due to the backgound's sharpness and similar color tone).

hmmmm... now see I found it interesting for those same reasons :D The fact that the left leaf blended with the monochromatic background and the right stood out with color.

Thanks again for the input

...back to the drawing board...
    edited October 24, 2007
    Another try with crop
    Here's a cropped version with some background blur... any better?
    212637194-L.jpg
    I'm not sure how else to crop it without losing too much of the main focal points... headscratch.gif

Maybe I should just throw in the towel on this one and try harder next time. :D
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2007
    Well, how about something abstract? You know, maybe 1/3rd of the leaf? I like this crop better, but it looks like you're thinking too hard abotu keeping everything in there and it muddies the shot. Figure out what you want to focus on and crop with that in mind. The color is stunning - use THAT as the focus, I think!!!

nice shot!
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2007
    noniknam wrote:
    Here's a cropped version with some background blur... any better?
    much better.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2007
    Well, how about something abstract? You know, maybe 1/3rd of the leaf? I like this crop better, but it looks like you're thinking too hard abotu keeping everything in there and it muddies the shot. Figure out what you want to focus on and crop with that in mind. The color is stunning - use THAT as the focus, I think!!!

nice shot!

15524779-Ti.gif Better, but not quite there yet. Andi's suggestions are great.
    edited October 25, 2007

nice shot!
    I guess i'm trying to focus on both themes at once because the leaf on the left and background seemed monochromatic with the colorful accent of the orange leaf on the right. So yes I was thinking a lot about not losing too much of either. Will contemplate some more....

This is only the second contest i've tried entering. Are the judges looking for one OR the other or can the photo consist of both at the same time?

Thank you for the help :D
    There is definitely a lot of talent around here to learn from!
    edited October 25, 2007
    last attempts
    Okay, here are my last attempts at cropping this image. I need to read more tips and techniques around here :D

Crop 2
    212961404-L.jpg

Crop 3
    212961515-L.jpg

Thanks again to everyone clap.gif
  • k2butterk2butter Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2007
    Crop three does it for me! Nice job....
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2007
    Your crop #3 is much more to the point for me.
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • RockportersRockporters Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2007
    Crop 3 looks great!
    Beth

Nikon D300
    Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8
    Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6
    Nikon 50mm f/1.8D

[SIZE=-3]Mary Beth Glasmann Photography[/SIZE]
  • ightenhillightenhill Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited October 26, 2007
    crop 3 works for me too