Need help with this pic of my son!

ScraffScraff Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
edited October 26, 2007 in People
I was taking some pictures of my son playing the in the leaves...the problem was the sun was so bright on one side that I could not get the settings correct for everything. I tried my best but I think one side of his face is still too bright. I like the picture but I would like to try to fix the brightness on his face a little. If anyone can offer any suggestions, I would really appreciate it.
Thanks...Scott

Comments

• SirGeorgeSirGeorge Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2007
    Fixing localized over exposure
    A couple of ideas...

If you have software that runs camera raw - open the JPEG file (I presume that it is not raw) and use the recovery slide to correct the localized over exposure. It works pretty well.

If you don't have the above software- Another technique - using photoshop - would be to create a second layer, fil it with 50% gray and set the blending mode to overlay; and then set the foreground colur to black and the opacity to 20% and then paint over the light areas. Play with the opacity settings.

The first method is the better of the two - sometimes I use a combination of them both.

Good luck

Scraff wrote:
    I was taking some pictures of my son playing the in the leaves...the problem was the sun was so bright on one side that I could not get the settings correct for everything. I tried my best but I think one side of his face is still too bright. I like the picture but I would like to try to fix the brightness on his face a little. If anyone can offer any suggestions, I would really appreciate it.
    Thanks...Scott
  • photojphotoj Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2007
    Try this re-work.
    Scott,
    I'm no guru with photoshop but i ran a few little things accross the image you posted and produced the result below:
    212820520-L.jpg

I was able to dampen the overexposed area some. Here are my steps in PS.

1 - Duplicated the orginal layer - nevere work on the orginal in case you make a booboo.

2 - Added a layer adjustment for color corection.

3 - Added a second layer adjustment for contrast and brightness - darkining the overexposed area to fit as best as I could with-out looking abvious.

4 - Placed a layer mask on the layer created in step 3, only permited the overexposed area to show through the mask.

5 - Adjusted the opacity of the masked layer from step three to blend better with the image.

6 - added a saturation and hue layer to brighten the leaves color.

7 - placed a layermask on the layer from step six to allow the orginal image of your son to show through so he was not oversaturated. :)

8 - creted one last adjustment layer to adjust the skin color some on your sone and masked this so only he was adjusted.

9 - saved the entire image and posted it here while I finished eating my lunch.

All in all it only took maybe three minutes to complete the changes, then I played with it till I was happy,

Let me know what you think.

PhotoJ
    "Make it don't take it!"

Jason
  • k2butterk2butter Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2007
    Photoj, nice job, I like the picture with the saturation of the leaves punched up a bit.... makes the picture pop more.
  • photojphotoj Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2007
    thanks but I'm still not happy with it
    k2butter,
    Thanks...the tweak does make the image pop more but I'm still not happy with the over exposuer but I cnouldn't get t any lower with-out being abvious about it.

PhotoJ
    "Make it don't take it!"

Jason
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2007
    You could try The Impossible Retouch.

Something like this (down and dirty):
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • ScraffScraff Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    You could try The Impossible Retouch.

Something like this (down and dirty):

David,
    That looks AWESOME! Did you just follow that link that you had sent? I want to get a print made of this picture, but I need to touch it up a bit. Your version looks great!
    Thanks...Scott
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2007
    Scraff wrote:
    David,
    That looks AWESOME! Did you just follow that link that you had sent? I want to get a print made of this picture, but I need to touch it up a bit. Your version looks great!
    Thanks...Scott

Yeah, pretty much. :D

It's a very useful technique. Please post in that thread if you have any questions. Well get you fixed up. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • SirGeorgeSirGeorge Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2007
    A little recovery
    Hi,
    I quickly (2 mins) took a run at this using Lightroom - with a little more time we could improve it more but this should give you a little flavor.

Regards

DavidTO wrote:
    Yeah, pretty much. :D

It's a very useful technique. Please post in that thread if you have any questions. Well get you fixed up. thumb.gif
  • k2butterk2butter Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2007
    David, I agree, awesome job!!! I really love this picture, I can see why you want to get it right! :)