Options

Color washed out using optical zoom?

bc_southbc_south Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited October 25, 2007 in Technique
I just had my daughter show me a couple of pictures that she had taken.
2 shots the same.......one was taken with the optical zoom on her camera. In the zoomed picture the color of the image specially the sky area has changed, has become slightly washed out looking, not as deep and rich looking as the first shot.
Why would this happen?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2007
    Sounds like auto mode to me
    First off, Welcome to Dgrin!

Without knowing any details. My first guess would be that the camera is set on auto everything. Your camera being smart as it is (to almost a fault) looks at the first zoomed out scene and "thinks" out the best settings to take the shot (i.e. f27 1/250). You then zoom in on the second shot and the camera "sees" a totally different scene. So it makes adjustments to try to get that perfect image for you on this shot as well (i.e. f27 1/750), but due to the image changing, the settings are different.

(NOTE: these numbers are to try to give you a better idea of what's happening and aren't acurate in any way for this shot)

While the technology behind cameras (even point and shoot) are fantastic. They are still dumb machines that only do what you tell them to do.

Try setting your cmaera to full manual. (ISO, fstop, shutter speed, white balance) Take the first shot, then take the second. I'm confident you wou't see a change in the saturation colors of your sky then.

Let us know if this is the case.

-Jon
  • Options
    bc_southbc_south Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited October 25, 2007
    Jon,
    Thanks for the quick response.
    You are right, she was using the auto focus for both shots. I will pass on your suggestions.
    Thanks once again!
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2007
    bc_south wrote:
    Jon,
    Thanks for the quick response.
    You are right, she was using the auto focus for both shots. I will pass on your suggestions.
    Thanks once again!
    Auto focus shouldn't make any difference.

It's the other settings that change how the picture looks. If she has trouble figuring out these settings, let us know. It's just amatter of a few dials or buttons at the worst.

-Jon