Options

Playing with water

dkoyanagidkoyanagi Registered Users Posts: 656 Major grins
edited March 6, 2005 in Holy Macro
Here are some of my recent macros. Comments/critiques welcome:

Bubbles in a glass of water.

Sony F828 + Canon 250D close-up lens + F32X flash; f/5.6 @ 1/60s; single flash bounced off ceiling; white plate under glass to catch any spills (also had the added benefit of acting as a reflector to further illuminate the bubbles)
16976201-L.jpg

Dripping faucet

Sony F828 + Canon 250D close-up lens + F32X flash; f/8.0 @ 1/400s; single flash from left side, bounced off the kitchen sink. :):

16976202-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2005
    Been staring at these since I got to work at 3am this morning (sick I know). I really like close ups like this. Amazing shapes in the natural world.

#1 has a big OOF area on the left side that bothers me a little, but could live with it.

#2 perfect. Well nothings perfect eek7.gif, but awful close.
    Nice work thumb.gifthumb
  • Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2005
    Both nice shots. I particularly love the second one. The depth of field and just the color in general very soothing..
  • Options
    digital faeriedigital faerie Registered Users Posts: 667 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2005
    dkoyanagi wrote:
    Here are some of my recent macros. Comments/critiques welcome:

Bubbles in a glass of water.

Sony F828 + Canon 250D close-up lens + F32X flash; f/5.6 @ 1/60s; single flash bounced off ceiling; white plate under glass to catch any spills (also had the added benefit of acting as a reflector to further illuminate the bubbles)

Dripping faucet

Sony F828 + Canon 250D close-up lens + F32X flash; f/8.0 @ 1/400s; single flash from left side, bounced off the kitchen sink. :):
    I'm so jealous of you right now I'm sick to my stomach!!! the 2nd almost looks like a sculpture it has such fantastic form...darn you!! great job! clap.gif
  • Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2005
    They are great shots Dan, thumb.gif.
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2005
    I'm so jealous of you right now I'm sick to my stomach!!! the 2nd almost looks like a sculpture it has such fantastic form...darn you!! great job! clap.gif
    Wow, I think this is the first time my photo has made anyone sick! I'll try not to do that from now on. :): Thanks DF!
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2005
    #2 is excellent and I feel very well:D
  • Options
    gregneilgregneil Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2005
    They're both really cool. The second one is stellar, as has been pointed out. Great clarity, balance, simplicity, texture, everything... I don't know how to describe this exactly, but I like how the OOF light shapes sparkle on the bottom 1/3 of the photo, but the top third has a more solid background which doesn't distract from the water droplet. It's almost like the bottom third is supporting the water droplet. Or something like that.

I see a little green in some of the reflections from the water droplets. What is that from?

Now try it again but this time get somebody's face to be reflected in the drop of water. ;)
    There's a thin line between genius and stupid.
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2005
    Thanks everybody. Greg, the green thing reflected in the drops is a bottle of dish detergent. I shot this in my kitchen sink. The blue background is provided by a piece of aluminum.