FIRST TIME Senior Pics--CC if you Please, (7x img)

kenlynekenlyne Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
edited October 26, 2007 in People
Hi--a friend of mine saw pics that I had taken of my SIL's two little boys and called me to see if I would take her son's senior pics (first time doing senior pics)--wonder if you could help me out by C&C. I don't have full scale Photoshop, just Elements 4.0. Have done some levels & also have used a Curves plug-in because Elements 4.0 didn't have Curves. Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated! TIA!! Still have more to pick through but this is what I have right now.

Oh, also, any tips for deep-set eyes?? I had a hard time really capturing his eyes and I had a hard time figuring out the light source sometimes because it was overcast a good part of the shoot :rolleyes Oh, I also haven't touched up blemishes--wanted to wait on that until I heard what you all have to say. Lots to learn :D

212938290-L.jpg

212938469-L.jpg

212938498-L.jpg

212940027-L.jpg

212938528-L.jpg

212939912-L.jpg

212938515-L.jpg

Thanks for looking!!

Comments

• leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2007
    I really like number six. It's a bit under exposed, and could maybe be a bit sharper (as could my old eyes! rolleyes1.gif), but I think it has the most relaxed, natural look. Nice job.
    Growing with Dgrin

• PineapplePhotoPineapplePhoto Registered Users Posts: 474 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2007
    I like #1, maybe a little of fill-in flash would help?

Also, he needs to get his hands out of his pockets... ne_nau.gif
    Body: Canon 1D Mark II N | Canon 30D w/BG-E2 Flash: Canon 580EX II | Quantum T4d | Strobes & Monolights
    Glass: Sigma 70-200 f2.8 | Sigma 20 f1.8 | Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM
  • caughtnactioncaughtnaction Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited October 25, 2007
    Re: 1st Senior Pics
    I have been taking senior pictures for the last year and I think you have started off pretty good! You have some great background scenes, where are you taking them at! It's beautifull! I like picture #2 & #4, I agree with the hands in the pocket, but I also see that you were trying to get him to be natural! The main thing is that your subject must look relaxed and in there comfort zone, which is sometimes hard for all subjects, but overall I think you did a good job! KS
  • Cuties02qCuties02q Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2007
    I think they look good especially for your first try =) I agree about the hands in the pockets and also they look a bit soft. The backrounds are just stunning!!!
    Part time photographer...Full time mommy :D

My equiment: Nikon D50, Nikon D300, SB-600, 30mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8

WEBSITE
    BLOG
  • kenlynekenlyne Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited October 25, 2007
    Thank you for the comments! I see what you mean about the hands in the pockets. What would you suggest in place--hands just at the side, arms folded?? I definitely could you some tips in the posing department headscratch.gif

caughtnaction--we're in Michigan and even though the colors aren't as good this year, they still are a pretty sight to see. The road he is lives on is just beautiful!! I'll try to post another pic so you can see what I mean. Thanks for the encouragement--
  • Mrs FMrs F Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2007
    I am so jealous of your location and backgrounds. You did really nice work with the composition and poses. I agree with most of the comments here. A little exposure fix and more contrast in #2, 4, 6 and 7 would really punch up the colors. Great job!

Kari
    C and C always welcome.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2007
    Oh, also, any tips for deep-set eyes?? I had a hard time really capturing his eyes and I had a hard time figuring out the light source sometimes because it was overcast a good part of the shoot
    About the only thing that helps with deep-set eyes is light. You need to provide some fill, either from a reflector (hard, as you had over-cast skys) or from fill-flash. On some of them, just your on-board flash would have solved the problem. On others, where you were further away from your model, a larger flash would have been required.

Specific comments:

#2 - very flat and a little underexposed. Some curves work and some levels should be able to recover this one quite nicely. I also think a different crop would improve it - his feet look a bit awkward here.

#3 - Love the look of this one. A little exposure/levels work will help a bit. Again, eye are an issue. You might be able to do some dodging to bring the out a little bit. I don't know.

#5 - again, a little flat. Curves to the rescue - simply setting your white and black points would help a lot.

#6 - A little dark

A general comment: If you have the opportunity to reshoot, you need to find him something to do with his hands. Getting him to interact with the environment a bit will add a whole new dimension to the images and greatly improve the long-term interest factor.
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2007
    Great first Try
    Overall I think you did a fantastic job considering it was your first try.

1- I am not particularly fond of crossed armed poses. They usually appear defensive, or at the very least make the subject appear tense. A little fil flash would have brought out the color in his eyes.

2-This one seems a little flat. A levels adustment to boost the exposure and contrast will help. This is a great candidate for fill flash

3-Very nice. Not sure about the hands though, and I think it would look better if the tree were behind his right shoulder to get the tree off to the side of the frame instead of in the center.

4- My favorite. Nice DOF and exposure.

5-another candiate for fill flash.

6- A little underexposed.

7-I am learning to like high angle shots, but this one doesnt do it for me. He appears really tense.

I have taken thousands of photos of teenagers. While normally relaxed and carefree in groups, they can become very self-conscious when one on one....and stiffen up on us. The best way to overcome that is to get them talking.......about anything.......video games, cars, sports, family, hunting........whatever, if you can engage them, they will eventually engage the camera. Boys seem to be more uncomfortable than girls to me, and the young man you have here seems very unrelaxed. This is something that no amount of photographic technical expertise can cure, but instead boils down to trust, patience, humour, and conversation. Of a 2 hour session, probably the last 30 minutes is the most productive....if you have found some kind of common ground.

Technically, these lean toward underexposure........but at least that beats overexposure. They also appear rather low contrast. Get friendly with your flash....I think most of them could have used a tiny bit to make them pop. Also, his teeth could use some whitening when you retouch

And lastly.........did you leave room to crop for 5x7's or 8x10's?
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2007
    hi!

i think you have some nice shots there! you probably seen that some are a bit OOF or blurry but the series is nice! Call me an idi*t but what is a senior shoot? headscratch.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2007
    hi!

i think you have some nice shots there! you probably seen that some are a bit OOF or blurry but the series is nice! Call me an idi*t but what is a senior shoot? headscratch.gif

Senior shoots seem to be a USA phenomenon. High school seniors (well, usually their parents to be honest) actually pay photographers to shoot photos of them. Strange but true.

I personally don't market myself as a senior shooter at all-- it's not even a service I offer on my website-- yet I have my third senior shoot coming up this weekend. Hey, if someone offers to pay me to take photos of them I'm not exactly going to say "no".

Back to the OP-- try getting your subject to look off camera occasionally. Also, thumb through some style and fashion type magazines-- I find high school kids LOVE that more edgy, commercial look. Least that's what the seniors who hire me tell me.

Here's are a couple of examples of what I'm talking about from my most recent senior shoot:
    86652010.jpg

86291651.jpg

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+