Leaf Suspended

NachoNacho Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
edited October 27, 2007 in Landscapes
Hi Folks:

Haven't had much chance to go out shooting during the last few days, but here is a shot I took as I was coming home recently. Not too dramatic, but it did capture my eye because at first glance the leaf looked to be suspended in midair. You can just see the spider web line holding it in place.

212189066-M.jpg
EXIF: Nikon D40, ISO 200, 1/640, f/4.5, 70mm, No Flash, Handheld

Thanks,

N
Exposure Latitude(s).com
"The temple bell stops but the sound keeps coming out of the flowers." -- Basho

Comments

• leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2007
    It looks abstractly (to me) like an animal in flight. Cool capture.
    Growing with Dgrin

• ShebaJoShebaJo Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2007
    pretty
    Great color & texture. The leaf & colors grab attention, then the web draws you in more.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2007
    Very cool! Was it blowing around in the wind, too?
  • cwphotoscwphotos Registered Users Posts: 763 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2007
    Very unique snap. clap.gif
    ====My Gear=====
    Canon 5D Mk.2/Grip || Canon 7D Backup
    17-40 f/4L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS || 100mm f/2.8L Macro || 24-70mm f/2.8L
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2007
    clap.gif Beauty very weldone
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • NachoNacho Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2007
    Thanks for the kind words folks. The leaf was just hanging there still, which was why I did a double take! but when the breeze came, it swayed a bit and still clung to the spider. Powerful spider web that one.

This was taken with the D40 and the Nikon 18-70mm lens. I actually like the background more than anything else. It reminds me of pumpkin pie, squash, etc. All those delicious Fall things. I was surprised the spider line came out as clearly as that. I would like to try that with a Nikon 50mm f/1.8D. That lens is pretty sharp and I think it would have taken the leaf a bit better.

I've been thinking that a better crop would be to reduce some of the space on top... not sure yet.

Thanks again!

N
    Exposure Latitude(s).com
    "The temple bell stops but the sound keeps coming out of the flowers." -- Basho
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2007
    Nacho wrote:
    Thanks for the kind words folks. The leaf was just hanging there still, which was why I did a double take! but when the breeze came, it swayed a bit and still clung to the spider. Powerful spider web that one.

This was taken with the D40 and the Nikon 18-70mm lens. I actually like the background more than anything else. It reminds me of pumpkin pie, squash, etc. All those delicious Fall things. I was surprised the spider line came out as clearly as that. I would like to try that with a Nikon 50mm f/1.8D. That lens is pretty sharp and I think it would have taken the leaf a bit better.

I've been thinking that a better crop would be to reduce some of the space on top... not sure yet.

Thanks again!

N
    I forgot to mention my surprise at the wonders of nature's engineering. The spider web is certainly holding more weight than you'd think it could!

I think your DOF is great here - enough to keep the leaf in focus but the background is quite autumny-pumpkiny-squashy. I have not yet mastered my f/1.8 lens despite having it for about 2 years and you might not have caught the web if it was wide open. headscratch.gif

Personally I think the space at the top emphasizes the spiderweb and gives it the illusion of swinging. Like a very small trapeze artist. :D
  • SirArmstrongSirArmstrong Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2007
    Good eye to pic this up. All our leaves turned with beautiful colors and then.....we had a huge wind storm taking away much of the leaves off the trees. Oh well, maybe I'll get to it faster next time.
    Steve

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."

Ansel Adams