Anyone using the HP DV9500t laptop?

RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
edited November 5, 2007 in Digital Darkroom
I'm looking at alternatives for a new laptop, and the HP DV9500t looks like a strong contender. I was wondering if anyone is willing to share some first-hand experience. I am especially interested in the display options. The basic 17" screen has a 1680x1050 resolution, but they offer an "upgrade" to a lower resolution (1440x900) with a higher color gamut (72%, whatever that means :rolleyes). I probably will not be able to see either screen before ordering (long story, don't ask) so I am really anxious for some feedback.

Thanks a lot.

Comments

• PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2007
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    I'm looking at alternatives for a new laptop, and the HP DV9500t looks like a strong contender. I was wondering if anyone is willing to share some first-hand experience. I am especially interested in the display options. The basic 17" screen has a 1680x1050 resolution, but they offer an "upgrade" to a lower resolution (1440x900) with a higher color gamut (72%, whatever that means rolleyes1.gif). I probably will not be able to see either screen before ordering (long story, don't ask) so I am really anxious for some feedback.

Thanks a lot.

I have a similiar model, though the more portable version with the smaller screen. So I can't help you with your screen resolution and color gamut questions.

I will say that the build quality is outstanding, the keyboard has a good feel to it and I've been very pleased overall with this notebook.
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2007
    I have the 6200, which is sort of the smaller model. Been very impressed so far. But, since it is widescreen the "relative" resolution is much lower than I really thought. In other words, I can't get as much on my screen as I could with other systems.

I also have a Thinkpad for work, and its display is 1400x1050. It is NOT widescreen, but I can get a whole lot more on my screen: more of a webpage, more of a photo (well not landscape photos) Widescreen is really nice, BUT pay attention to the 'second' number here: the lowest number is, well, the 'relative' resolution.

Since widescreen introduces 16:10 vs standard 4:3, you have to translate new resolutions. For me, I like to compare to what I would have if it was a regular screen.

So here are resolutions for standard screens: 4:3

XGA 1024 768
    XGA+ 1152 864
    SXGA 1280 1024
    SXGA+ 1400 1050
    UXGA 1600 1200
    QXGA 2048 1536

Now for Wide Screens: 16:10

WXGA 1280 800
    WXGA+ 1440 900
    WSXGA 1600 1024
    WSXGA+ 1680 1050
    WUXGA 1920 1200
    WQXGA 2560 1600

So your comparing a WXGA+ to a WSXGA+ screen. This is similar to comparing a XGA+ screen (1152x864) to a SXGA+ (1400x1050). So look at what your current laptop supports today...if it is 1280x1024, the 1440x900 is LOWER resolution than you have today.

My recommendation is to go with the highest resolution esp on widescreens.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited October 31, 2007
    Thanks for the feedback, Pupator and Cmason. It looks like I'll be getting a Lenovo ThinkPad T61 instead--1680x1050, 15.4", which is pretty close to what I am using now. HP will only sell the DV9500t with Vista, which I am trying to avoid for a number of reasons. Too bad--that model can be configured with dual hard disks, which should really make Photoshop sing. Oh well.

Cheers,
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2007
    You know, you can buy a copy of Windows XP Home for $90 on newegg.com. Take out the HP harddrive, put in a new one, install XP and get on with it. If you ever have warranty issues, pop in the HP drive and send it in.
    edited October 31, 2007
    cmason wrote:
    You know, you can buy a copy of Windows XP Home for $90 on newegg.com. Take out the HP harddrive, put in a new one, install XP and get on with it. If you ever have warranty issues, pop in the HP drive and send it in.

Yeah, I hear you, but it's just not worth the hassle or expense to me. I have also read that some manufacturers are locking down the BIOS on Vista machines, which could make modifications like this dodgy. ne_nau.gif
  • arroyosharkarroyoshark Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2007
    Has anybody had some experience calibrating the screens on 'late model' HP laptops ?
    Available light is any damn light that's available -W. Eugene Smith
    edited November 5, 2007
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    Yeah, I hear you, but it's just not worth the hassle or expense to me. I have also read that some manufacturers are locking down the BIOS on Vista machines, which could make modifications like this dodgy. ne_nau.gif

Richard,

I'd be curious to hear what your reasons for avoiding Vista are. It's faster, more stable, and prettier too :D . I was a beta tester and have been using it for a couple of years and am quite impressed with the improvements over XP.

Now if you have some really pricey hardware (printers, scanners, etc.) that don't have drivers for Vista - that I understand.

Still I'd be curious to know, even if you want to PM rather than open a flame war mwink.gif .

Cheers,
    Paul
    edited November 5, 2007
    Pupator wrote:
    I understand.

Still I'd be curious to know, even if you want to PM rather than open a flame war mwink.gif .

Cheers,
    Paul

PM sent.
    edited November 5, 2007
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    PM sent.

PM Received and responded to.

Thanks Richard - great chatting with you!