Options

Canon D30 shutter lock up problem

maverickmaverick Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
edited October 31, 2007 in Cameras
Just spend two weeks in Namibia doing an awesome bike trip and obviously alot of sand/dust/vibration to go with it

212424459-M-1.jpg

We smooth gravel roads

212424719-M-1.jpg

Hot gravel roads and of course sand and lots of it :wink

212426998-M-1.jpg

I took great care securing my camera in a tankbag on the rear of the bike placed in alot of bubble wrap to avoid any bad vibrations.

Sadly by day 6 as I did a quick dismount to capture the crash of a fellow mate coming off his KTM the moment I pushed the shutter button it just went click and stuck. Now I have read through various threads on here about possible causes such as

Lens connector cleaning ( I am using a standard 24-85mm Canon USM lens)
Battery problems (Again standard Canon Battery always fully charged)
Cleaned the mirror inside and gave it a good old blow with fresh air from the compressor.
Tried different batteries and lenses.

Given that the camera is possibly six/seven years old and the abuse thrown at it certainly not surprised it is a bit ill :cry Only dilemma I am in is trying to figure out what is wrong with it an asess whether is is worth while fixing it. Most places in the UK charges an upfront fee to just look at it and frankly if the repair works out more than £100 it certainly ain't worth the effort as you can get them off ebay for about the same. Would love to buy some new flashy 40D or the like but finances won't allow for that at the moment and generally the D30 does exactly what I need it to do 95% of the time.

Any ideas what I could check further or possible diagnoses what could be wrong? There is no error messages on the screen and the shutter/mirror simply just stick in the open position untill you take the battery out and put it back in then it will release. Any comments suggestions greatly appreciated :thumb

212427430-M-1.jpg
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual addressee(s)named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humour or irrational religious beliefs.

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,921 moderator
    edited October 27, 2007
    Maverick,

Do change your lithium backup battery. Even if you changed it recently, it may be the problem.

If you have more than one lens, is the effect the same on all lenses?

What happens if you push the "Depth of Field Preview" button?

Are you seeing any error codes?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Maverick,

Do change your lithium backup battery. Even if you changed it recently, it may be the problem.

If you have more than one lens, is the effect the same on all lenses?

What happens if you push the "Depth of Field Preview" button?

Are you seeing any error codes?

Yes do have two batteries and tried both fully charged but been swapping between them for the last year and never expierenced the problem. The mirror locks in the open position irregardless whether I push the shutter with or without a lens on. Have three Canon lenses and tried it with all of them.

Did not check the DOFP button and no error codes. I have a feeling whatever is suppose to send a signal to the mirror to close again has failed or busted. The camera is off for a qoute at a Canon repair shop that offers free estimates before they fix anything. Sadly these old D30's can be had for as little as £80 on ebay these days so hardly worth the effort to get it fixed if it is going to cost more than £100 ne_nau.gif If it is under that will get it repaired and start saving up for the new 40D iloveyou.gif

I am sure this type of problem must of happened to someone else before and will post a diagnoses of the problem once Canon confirmed what is wrong thumb.gif
    Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual addressee(s)named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humour or irrational religious beliefs.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,921 moderator
    edited October 30, 2007
    Maverick,

The lithium backup battery is a "button cell" located under a circular cap on the bottom of the camera (I think).
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Maverick,

The lithium backup battery is a "button cell" located under a circular cap on the bottom of the camera (I think).

My bad did not read your reply properly :D Have not replaced the battery recently even though I took it out looked at it and promptly put it back again headscratch.gif Not very clever most of the days so don't be surprised, will be damn funny if that is the cause of it......errr not rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for the reply, have not heard anything from Canon yet so lets see what happens mwink.gif