The lost city of industrial decay

mANVILmANVIL Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
edited November 2, 2007 in Landscapes
During WW2 the US built what was to become the largest explosives manufacturing facility ever made. Spanning 10,000 acres the complex contained over 1,000 buildings, 190 miles of interior roads, 80 miles of rail, and employed 30,000 people. Post cold war the need to stockpile arms diminished and the facility shut down. Since then large tracts of land have become state park or sold to private industry. However a good bit of the original facilities still remain.

ammo87.jpg

ammo104.jpg

ammo75.jpg

ammo74.jpg

ammo61.jpg

ammo57.jpg

ammo55.jpg

ammo37.jpg

ammo93.jpg

ammo118.jpg

ammo117.jpg

ammo116.jpg

ammo115.jpg

ammo111.jpg

ammo109.jpg

ammo105.jpg

ammo95.jpg

ammo96.jpg

ammo98.jpg

ammo82.jpg

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2007
    Nice to see you finally delurking! thumb.gif

The masses will be crying for more.
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2007
    :cry more!!

no seriously... clap.gif these are great!
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2007
    Wonderful ! clap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Aaron JorsAaron Jors Registered Users Posts: 470 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2007
    Very interesting shots, where is this place?
  • SirArmstrongSirArmstrong Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2007
    Great shots, looks like you could spend days discovering. With some of those signs though, I don't know how much I would want to find.
    Steve

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."

Ansel Adams
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2007
    Very cool thumb.gif I have to get out & try this. Is any mercury clean rolleyes1.gif I love the old loco.

The US built a lot of stuff around here in northern australia also. There is even a barbed wire perimeter fence still visable from the roadside 7 hours west of here in the bush where the US military dug out caves in the hills for munitions storage. I know the farmer that owns the land now & he uses the tunnels for hay storage.

I even rescued an old card playing table built in the 40's by the marines from an old US built shed near by.
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2007
    Great series!!! The shots just get progressively better (to me) as I went through them. Love the shots of the old locomotive....the lighting is sweet in those. Also like the vine-covered wheels on the old carts. Some very interesting (and scarey! Mercury!) signs. Great stuff. thumb.gif
  • JenGraceJenGrace Registered Users Posts: 1,229 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2007
    Looks like a really interesting place. You did a really good job photographing it. :D
    Jen

Gallery of mine...caution, it's under CONSTANT construction! | Photo Journal

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. ~Aaron Rose
  • mANVILmANVIL Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    Thanks for the compliments.

Gus - that is very cool you were able to salvage that table. Most people do not take advantage of what their environment has to offer.
  • LexLex Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    one must be careful nosing around places like this, for more than 1 reason. Health hazzards of course, at top of list. nice pics though here. Interesting.
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2007
    Very nice docu shots. thumb.gif I've gone through them several times.
    Michael
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited October 31, 2007
    What a great series of images.

Fort Detrick or nearby perhaps??

I wonder if the mercury was used for making mercury fulminate - a potential ingredient in most primers.

It is hard to imagine manufacturing and shipping high explosives - TNT, gun cotton, RDX etc by the train load. Not by the pound or ton, but by whole train loads. Wow!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited October 31, 2007
    New Almaden (South San Jose) was a pretty good sized mercury mining
    area. It's a park now as well as residential area. Neat place. I can see
    how the products mined there might make it to this place.

These shots are pretty cool. I like the story they tell.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited October 31, 2007
    Thanks for the compliments everyone.

Pathfinder - explosives by the trainload is a scary thought, luckily this place was far removed from any residential areas. When I was a kid I was fascinated by trains and always wanted to be a conductor...not so much anymore.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited October 31, 2007
    The funny thing is that modern high explosives, like TNT, plastique, and others, are really pretty stable as long as you do not have a primer with you.

That's why trainloads of the stuff could be shipped at once - literally thousands of tons of it. ( One boxcar typically carries 50 to 100 thousand pounds of stuff)

Trains are very cool - I can still see the appeal of the steam locomotives and the steel rails.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • cwphotoscwphotos Registered Users Posts: 763 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2007
    Very very nice. We dont have cool stuff like that by me.
    ====My Gear=====
    Canon 5D Mk.2/Grip || Canon 7D Backup
    17-40 f/4L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS || 100mm f/2.8L Macro || 24-70mm f/2.8L
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net
    edited November 2, 2007
    cwphotos wrote:
    Very very nice. We dont have cool stuff like that by me.

CW - don't be so sure!

I see from your website you're from Wisconsin. You have Milwaukee to your north and the wonderful cities of Chicago and Gary, Indiana to your south. Gary has the headquarters for the US Steel corporation and the largest operating steel mill in the country. Milwaukee has the former Pabst Brewery (was the largest brewery in the country at one time) which is over 20 acres on industrial buildings and is currently being converted into residential units. While on-site access to these may be off limits or very difficult to obtain, you can still get some great shots at nearby vantage points.
  • jzieglerjziegler Registered Users Posts: 420 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2007
    mANVIL,

Some great shots here. I've looked a couple times now and finally got around to replying. What an amazing complex to just abandon. And surprising that the locomotive is still there, I'm surprised the army didn't take it with them. But, it makes for a great shot. The closeup on the horn is nice, don't see anything like that very much.

CW,

mANVIL is probably right, there's probably more around you than you think. Pick any small town that once had any big industry that it has lost, and there will be some remains. Perhaps nothing as big as this, but at least some old warehouses, and old factory, or maybe just an old train station. I'm noticing more of it all the time, because I'm looking for it more now.

Regards,
    James
  • toberstobers Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2007
    Wow! That looks like an excellent explore.

You should post on the urban exploration forum www.28dayslater.co.uk