Challenge 34 - Aero-nut - Minimalism

aero-nutaero-nut Registered Users Posts: 693 Major grins
edited March 15, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
Ok, I know it's early, but I've been playing with some ideas for this next challenge, and I wanted to bounce them off you folks.

Comments/suggestions welcome.

Balance
16992650-L.jpg

Two pieces of posterboard, and two river rocks. No photoshop other than some color and desaturation.

Comments

• Lucky HackLucky Hack Registered Users Posts: 594 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2005
    Cool concept!thumb.gif What if you offset scale and proportion to compose a shot that is a little more precariously balanced?

hoping this message finds you well -Ian

ps. where do you ride? I'm a bike nut as well,(my wife thinks I should be commited). From Downhill to Roabike and everything in between!
    Chance favors the prepared mind. -Louis Pasteur
  • aero-nutaero-nut Registered Users Posts: 693 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2005
    The blues of DOF....

17111905-L.jpg

The subject was selectively desaturated in photoshop...not sure if I like the effect or not....plus I was set to 400 ISO, and the camera was a little off center....looks like I need a reshoot. ne_nau.gif
    edited March 8, 2005
    Reshoot.....

This time the focal point was a little forward of the subject...more fitting of the title...:D

"The blues of DOF"
    17112549-L.jpg
  • jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,009 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2005
    i like the first one better but some have ? my taste and that said i still like the first on with out bluetint Jeff
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • PeterGarPeterGar Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2005
    I like the first... the simplicity and the contrast. Very nice.
  • Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2005
    I like the first one. When I saw it I thought darn great idea, Why didn't I think of thatheadscratch.gif

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
    edited March 8, 2005
    Lucky Hack wrote:
    Cool concept!thumb.gif What if you offset scale and proportion to compose a shot that is a little more precariously balanced?

hoping this message finds you well -Ian

ps. where do you ride? I'm a bike nut as well,(my wife thinks I should be commited). From Downhill to Roabike and everything in between!
    Thanks. I mainly ride in the hills in Northern Antellope Valley, Tehachepi, and Kernville.
    edited March 8, 2005
    Thanks Peter, and E&S.... I can't figure it out, but it seems like the first one's missing something....maybe that's an artifact of being a minimalist pic..who knows...headscratch.gif I'm all ears if someone has a suggestion... ear.gif
  • bkrietebkriete Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2005
    I like the composition of the first of your "tworocks" pictures. I think I would like it better without the selective desaturation, and shot at ISO100. Maybe it's just an artifact of the compression, but it looks a little noisy. The blue tinted version looks very out of focus to me; in fact the only part of it that looks in focus is a band below and to the left of the rocks. This is the case in both pics, but more so in the blue one.
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2005
    aero-nut wrote:
    The blues of DOF....

17111905-L.jpg

The subject was selectively desaturated in photoshop...not sure if I like the effect or not....plus I was set to 400 ISO, and the camera was a little off center....looks like I need a reshoot. ne_nau.gif
    I like this one. I don't like the black and the white. If you are going to do that, I think you need to go with some form of a rule of thirds.

But I love this one. I don't know why you changed it.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
    edited March 9, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I like this one. I don't like the black and the white. If you are going to do that, I think you need to go with some form of a rule of thirds.

But I love this one. I don't know why you changed it.

ginger
    Yeah, the desaturation was an experiment...didn't work out too well....

Here's the origional with some color correction and despecle..

17170427-L.jpg

I probably still need to reshoot at a lower ISO though...dang noise. :bash
  • RocketManRocketMan Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2005
    I think moving the focus in front distracts from the whole composition. its not the line where the colored paper (?) meets that is the subject (right?) but rather the stones, so I'd say keep them in sharp focus and let forground and background fade out of focus.

RM
    http://roadrunes.com
    "It's better to bite the hand that feeds you, than to feed the hand that bites you" - Me :D
    edited March 15, 2005
    Ok, yet another try after a hike this week.... comments?

17543861-L.jpg
    edited March 15, 2005
    Hmmm... I'm getting a little light headed.... mwink.gif

17546495-L.jpg

17546496-L.jpg

:hurt