Options

TIP --> Sport Shooting at night w/flash

2»

Comments

• Options
    nipprdognipprdog Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2011
    Even so, you should really make that 70-200 a priority, especially for sports...

Agreed. Without that lens, or the 300 2.8, good luck. You're going to need it. If you want to shoot night sports, you're going to have to spend $$$$.

There is no cheap way to shoot night sports.
  • Options
    David-StallardDavid-Stallard Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2011
    Can't see a single image but I guess from the comments they were great

.DAVID.
    http://www.davidstallardphotography.com/

Take nothing but pictures. Leave nothing but footprints
  • Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    First, this is a several year-old thread. Fast-forwarding to the current discussion about cre8tingwaves using a flash setup with a 70-300 lens. Here's the problem: focus. In canon, the flash doesn't use the focus assist beam in ai-servo mode. So, with an f5.6 lens and no focus assist, focus performance/speed will be horrendous. OR you could choose to not use ai-servo - which means not tracking your subject. In a nutshell, that's why using flash with the 70-300 will yield sub-standard shots. You really do want to use flash WITH an f2.8 lens.
  • Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    I'm going to play with something a little different tonight since I have a game. I'm going to shoot with my wireless slaves with flash on manual to see what I get... I have an E-TTL cable for my canon, but I really need 2 which I don't have and won't be able to get before tonight (I don't want to sit in traffic to/from Chicago for 4 hours for 1 thing!) So we'll see how that works out.

I didn't get to try tonight.. So probably not going to tomorrow either. However, I did find Calumet makes a nice cable so you wouldn't have to daisy chain the canon version. 1.5' long coiled, stretches to about 5' it says...

http://www.calumetphoto.com/eng/product/calumet_pro_series_1_8_coiled_off_camera_ttl_flash_cord_for_canon_speedlites/cf0025

They prolly make one for Nikon as well. I might just go with that tomorrow if I can make it downtown to pick one up.