First post, first portraits let me have it!!

tmichaeltmichael Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
edited October 28, 2007 in People
Greetings all! I have never posted here before. I just started a people photography class and we were asked to shoot something to bring in for next weeks class. This is my first time and I am eager to learn, any suggestions welcome!!
Thanks

213320021-M.jpg

213262219-M.jpg

213323715-M.jpg

Thanks for looking, I appreciate any and all comments/feedback.

Mike

Comments

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited October 27, 2007
    hey!-

welcome to the forum!-

I particularly like the first and last one-

but I'm not one to c&c-

there are others that do a very good job of critiquing-
  • tmichaeltmichael Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited October 27, 2007
    Thanks for the welcome and the comment George! I like those better as well, I think I overexposed the middle one a bit, but she likes it the best! Go figure!

Mike
  • i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2007
    (hope you don't mind)

I took #2 in PS, +45 saturation. Here's what i get:

Still has a few problems, but perhaps a step in the right direction. Welcome to dGrin & EXCELLENT SHOTS! You have a great eye for these!
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
    edited October 27, 2007
    That is an improvement, and I don't mind at all! I actually did something similar in Lightroom to another version of this shot, but for the class, he didn't want us manipulating them too much. I like what you have done and may push the saturation up on my version as well.

Thanks,

Mike
  • Ike615Ike615 Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited October 27, 2007
    Great start. # 2 is really good.
    (hope you don't mind)

I took #2 in PS, +45 saturation. Here's what i get:

Still has a few problems, but perhaps a step in the right direction. Welcome to dGrin & EXCELLENT SHOTS! You have a great eye for these!
    i_worship_the_King, I think your CC image is too red.

Here is my go at CC:

vdohhs.jpg

I used curves, color balance, and selective color adjustments to get the final image.

- Isaac
    Isaac Lane Koval
    www.kovalproductions.com
    Canon 5D & 30D:
    24-70mm f2.8L, 70-200mm f2.8L IS, 70-200 f4L, 85mm f.1.2L II, 35mm f1.4L, 28-135mm f.3.5-5.6 IS, 580EX

edited October 27, 2007
    Thanks Isaac, I really like your edit, the skin tones look great!!

Mike
  • DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2007
    I like the angle and the crop in the first one.
    edited October 28, 2007
    Thanks David, for me that one was the only true "no brainer" of the bunch, as soon as I saw it I knew it was going to go to the class with me this week!

Mike
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2007
    She's a very pretty lady and you're off to a great start with portraits!
    I like the light and angle in #1.
    The light and background in #2 is very nice. The composition might be improved with her not quite so straight forward to the camera. I like Isaac's edit, as well.
    The light is interesting in #3, but I do wish I could see a bit more of her eyes.

Welcome to DGrin! clap.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
    edited October 28, 2007
    Thanks for the comments Elaine. I never thought about the angle in number 2, maybe that is why it has bothered me from the get go, I will need to keep that in mind, most of the pix I like, she wasn't looking right at me. But, that leads me to your next point, she has very pretty eyes and I didn't really do them justice in any of the shots I took...now I have a conundrum. I like the shots that are not facing directly at the camera, but isn't that the best way to capture the eyes???

Mike

how do you guys make it seem so simple??
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2007
    Not bad at all. I have seen lots worse from people who have been doing it awhile.
    Remember portraits aren't just about technique and proper lighting.
    Do your best to capture the real smile and personality of the subject.
    I am certainly no expert that is always my main goal.

The main think I have learned doing portraits is that you can never come close to guessing which photos the subject is going to like best!!!
    edited October 28, 2007
    Thanks for the comments and the insight Zoomer! I appreciate it.

Here is the rework I have done of the outdoor shot, does this make it better??

214026259-M.jpg