Street - Art Alley

seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
edited October 29, 2007 in Landscapes
Discovered a wonderful place this morning. Is it weird to be most at home when you are on the road, lol?

213747612-L.jpg

Art Alley. South Dakota, Oct. 2007.
How many people contributed to this photo, really? :))

Comments

• saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2007
    I saw this entered in the Challenge thread this evening. You couldn't have directed a better 'canvas' to shoot! Well.....maybe you could, but I sure couldn't. rolleyes1.gif Absolutely killer shot. Love the colors....and the lighting!!! thumb.gif
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2007
    Mate i absolutely love your stuff...you know that & i never usually ask anyone to change anything in a photo unless they ask but i think that colour needs a dodge & burn...something to lift it a bit & give it more zing...maybe youve already done it ne_nau.gif

I love the photo thumb.gif
  • m_granitem_granite Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2007
    :D The eye contact from her to the drawings is great.:D
    Alex Q.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited October 28, 2007
    I was so taken with the graffiti that I didn't even notice the person for a while. I don't know whether that's good or bad--maybe it's just me ne_nau.gif. In any event, I think this is a terrific shot. Well done.

Regards,
  • seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2007
    gus wrote:
    Mate i absolutely love your stuff...you know that & i never usually ask anyone to change anything in a photo unless they ask but i think that colour needs a dodge & burn...something to lift it a bit & give it more zing...maybe youve already done it ne_nau.gif

Thanks Gus, i always greatly appreciate C & C, it's why i post. I'm looking forward to getting back home to see this pic on my desktop, don't really trust the laptop. I did do some minimal dodge/burn and contrast boost on this but ... i'll look again. Thanks :)) BTW, your San Fran street work was inspiring :)) Gotta go unpack al my equip for TSA now ... :(
  • rundadarrundadar Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2007
    Good light, good shot!
    http://rundadar.smugmug.com

"...turtles are great speed enthusiasts, which is natural"

J.Cortazar

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited October 28, 2007
    Don't spray the trash can!!:D :D

Is she illuminated with ambient light, or more likely, with remote flash?

Neat shot, and the human element adds a lot to this image.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited October 28, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    Don't spray the trash can!!:D :D

Is she illuminated with ambient light, or more likely, with remote flash?

Neat shot, and the human element adds a lot to this image.

Ambient light, it's a street shot not set up. She stopped several times to look at the art working her way down the alley. I set my camera to manual to expose for highlights in the morning sun and whispered to myself, please stop in the sliver of sunlight, please. She did, so she is as much a collaborator for this pic as the artists. Without her it would just be other peoples' art, perhaps important to document but not an original in and of itself ... the interaction, eyes to eyes, makes it a photo for me. Wish the car wasn't there but ... that's just what it was. Thanks :))
    edited October 28, 2007
    gus wrote:

Okay, uhhmm Gus, I think you're messing with me lol! Looking on my monitor at home, I don't think I could get any more pop out of this if I tried! I'm partial to the high contrast and darkness, and I never touched saturation, selective or otherwise. Thanks again :))
    edited October 28, 2007
    seastack wrote:
    Okay, uhhmm Gus, I think you're messing with me lol! Looking on my monitor at home, I don't think I could get any more pop out of this if I tried! I'm partial to the high contrast and darkness, and I never touched saturation, selective or otherwise. Thanks again :))

Would you mind if i had a try ?
    edited October 28, 2007
    gus wrote:
    Would you mind if i had a try ?

Well, I do like my interpretation but how can i say no to 13,744 posts :))
    Have at it, and thanks for asking.

tom
    edited October 28, 2007
    seastack wrote:
    Well, I do like my interpretation but how can i say no to 13,744 posts :))
    Have at it, and thanks for asking.

tom
    Its just that i really like that sort of feel it has. Did i overcook it ?

Let me down roughly rolleyes1.gif
    edited October 28, 2007
    gus wrote:
    Its just that i really like that sort of feel it has. Did i overcook it ?

Let me down roughly rolleyes1.gif

It's not heavy-handed at all, very nice ... hmmm, i can't decide. Think I'll sleep on it. Anyone?
    edited October 28, 2007
    seastack wrote:
    It's not heavy-handed at all, very nice ... hmmm, i can't decide. Think I'll sleep on it. Anyone?
    That said..i use an uncalibrated CRT that is 8 years old & has one quarter of it a yellowish brown. I sort of fly by the seat of my pants so i am very likely seeing things diff to everyone else.

I coverted it it LAB & steepened the curves (both ends)to 115 & then in the lightness bit i steepened the top right only. I then put it back to Jpeg & opened up exposure & raised the exposure just a tad. I didnt touch the offset or gamma.

Anyway mate..its a great shot.

I love graffiti (well ..not really but what are we to do with it if we cant get some benifit ourselves) thumb.gif
    edited October 28, 2007
    Your version looks good, i think we are seeing the same thing. Ah yes, the LAB trick, maybe? Not sure if this is what you mean but I know several pros that swear by switching to LAB, then steepening the curves in both A and B channels to pop the color (top to left, bottom to right, not too much). Doesn't tend to add artifacts, increase noise, or make it look cartoonish like boosting saturation. Is this what you mean? Good technique i've not seen discussed much.

Hmmm, better be careful or Schmoo will move this to the technique forum ;-)
    gus wrote:
    That said..i use an uncalibrated CRT that is 8 years old & has one quarter of it a yellowish brown. I sort of fly by the seat of my pants so i am very likely seeing things diff to everyone else.

I coverted it it LAB & steepened the curves (both ends)to 115 & then in the lightness bit i steepened the top right only. I then put it back to Jpeg & opened up exposure & raised the exposure just a tad. I didnt touch the offset or gamma.

Anyway mate..its a great shot.

I love graffiti (well ..not really but what are we to do with it if we cant get some benifit ourselves) thumb.gif
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007