Options

Can lenses loose sharpness?

BakatBakat Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
edited November 4, 2007 in Technique
I know this sounds weird, but I swear that my Nikkor 24-120 VR lens has been loosing sharpness. BTW this lens has been back to Nikon once for working it's way loose in the middle.

So I did a little experiment.
I have a Sigma 50mm Macro lens that I adore for it's sharpness.
Put the camera on the tripod, set it to manual, took a shot with the Sigma at f5, Shutter at 1/60.
Then I switched to the Nikkor at 50mm, f5, Shutter at 1/60 with the VR on.
Then I took shot #3 with the VR off.

The Sigma shot is definately the sharper of the three.

I guess I need to contact Nikon.

Any thoughts?

Bakat
"Photography is not a sport. It has no rules"
Bill Brandt

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited October 28, 2007
    As they say, stuff happens.

Most lenses lose image quality from damage of some sort - being dropped, subjected to interminable vibrations, forcibly mounted on the wrong body, etc.

But some just go south for no apparent reason. I have a Tamron zoom that just quit working for me. One frame was fine, and the next shot the camera would no longer work with the lens at all - Error 99 - or You're hosed:D Tamron fixed it without hesitation and it is back in good working order. Nikon will do the same I am sure,

If your lens is not sharp, when used with good technique - tripod, shutter speed, proper focus,etc, then I would send it back to Nikon. That lens should be sharp like a razor.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    Bakat wrote:
    I know this sounds weird, but I swear that my Nikkor 24-120 VR lens has been loosing sharpness. BTW this lens has been back to Nikon once for working it's way loose in the middle.

So I did a little experiment.
    I have a Sigma 50mm Macro lens that I adore for it's sharpness.
    Put the camera on the tripod, set it to manual, took a shot with the Sigma at f5, Shutter at 1/60.
    Then I switched to the Nikkor at 50mm, f5, Shutter at 1/60 with the VR on.
    Then I took shot #3 with the VR off.

The Sigma shot is definately the sharper of the three.

I guess I need to contact Nikon.

Any thoughts?

Bakat

I can aswer this one from lots of experience :D

Yes, lenses can lose sharpness over time. We've seen it happen to lots of ours. Like pathfinder mentioned, this happens as a result of shock damage to the lens or just ordinary wear&tear. Send it into Canon or Nikon for re-calibration. It really helps if you are a CPS (Canon Professional Services) or NPS member, because they usually repair your stuff in 3-5 days and ship it back Fedex 2nd Day.
    http://www.BorrowLenses.com
    Your professional online camera gear rental store

Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2007
    Not adding anything except, maybe, humor?
    pathfinder wrote:
    As they say, stuff happens.

Most lenses lose image quality from damage of some sort - being dropped, subjected to interminable vibrations, forcibly mounted on the wrong body, etc.

But some just go south for no apparent reason. I have a Tamron zoom that just quit working for me. One frame was fine, and the next shot the camera would no longer work with the lens at all - Error 99 - or You're hosed:D Tamron fixed it without hesitation and it is back in good working order. Nikon will do the same I am sure,

If your lens is not sharp, when used with good technique - tripod, shutter speed, proper focus,etc, then I would send it back to Nikon. That lens should be sharp like a razor.
    I just could resist adding this ...
    Here, all along, I thought lenses degrade over time due to the wear factor of all the light photons passing through the lens elements and, thus wearing the out. :D
    or
    Yep, lenses degrade over time. They are manufactured to only allow so much light through them before they wear out. It's called designed obsolescence.rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    vincemanvinceman Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited November 2, 2007
    this happened to my canon rebel kit lens. I admit, it did get some rough usage through its time. My older photos were a lot sharper than it is now, and seems almost unusable, P&S were sometimes sharper. Since I've got better lenses now, I haven't really checked if its calibration related or it is just back/front-focusing. My guess is the latter.
  • Options
    J.T.J.T. Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2007
    I can aswer this one from lots of experience :D

Yes, lenses can lose sharpness over time. We've seen it happen to lots of ours. Like pathfinder mentioned, this happens as a result of shock damage to the lens or just ordinary wear&tear. Send it into Canon or Nikon for re-calibration. It really helps if you are a CPS (Canon Professional Services) or NPS member, because they usually repair your stuff in 3-5 days and ship it back Fedex 2nd Day.

How do you become an NPS member? What does it cost, if any? I juts had my body go to Nikon twice, once for a mess up they caused and I was out of a camera for about 10 days!
    John "J.T."
    http://johnthiele.smugmug.com

Nikon D80 w/MB-D80 vertical grip
    Tokina 50-135 f/2.8
    Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D
    Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G
    Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR

RPS Studio Rotating Flash Bracket

SB 600

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter." -- Ansel Adams
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2007
    Scott, it's well known that lenses get stale, like any food product. That's why I keep them in the 'fridge.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2007
    I just could resist adding this ...

or

I had been blaming it on my eyes. Guess I am not as old as I thoughjt I was.rolleyes1.gif